PDA

View Full Version : New guy building system right now

Brier
08-02-2010, 07:24 AM
Hello guys, I am knee deep in building a greenhouse aquaponics system
2000 gallons of water
Blue tilapia, already have breeding colony in basement and 1000's of fry
12 x 24 greenhouse with fish tanks heated from my wood burning furnace.
Large bioreactor, and clarifier to filter heavy stocking density.
Plumbing is complete, and tank is recirculating, and being fed ammonia chloride for cycling right now.
Next step is to build grow beds
I will upload some pics as soon as I can get my wife to resize them small enough that the forum will accept them.

A little about myself. My family produces all of our own meat, except for fish, so this is the next logical step on our way towards self sufficiency. We raise Guinea hogs for pork, chicken (both meat birds, and layers) Nigerian dwarf dairy goats, for meat and milk, Muscovy ducks for meat, have a recently dug 1/4 acre pond for food and recreation, and water for irrigation, 75 head of Dexter, and Australian lowline cattle for beef, and grassfed beef sales. The cattle are on leased land, everything else happens on our 2.5 acre homestead. 4000 square foot garden.
I will have some questions for those of you in the know about growbeds in the next few days. Thanks for all of the great information so far, I have read the forum top to bottom.

davidstcldfl
08-02-2010, 11:40 AM
Hi Brier....welcome... :D

Bring on the pictures !

JCO
08-02-2010, 01:11 PM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers. PLease go to your profile and tell us where you live. There might some APers close by.:mrgreen:

Ironfish
08-03-2010, 12:28 AM
Hi Brier,

Good to see another Ohioan on the list. We're increasing in numbers.
If you have any questions just ask.

Ironfish

Brier
08-03-2010, 09:03 PM
Thank you guys for the warm welcome. Things are coming along well. I took the week off, and am really making some progress. I have learned that the secret to plumbing is................................................ .................................................. ...............A full tank of gas.

I will get some pics up tomorrow, honestly can't wait. I am rather proud of my system. Oh BTW, anyone need some Oreochromis aureus I happen to have a few thousand too many. :lol: Seriously. I am not in the least bit afraid of shipping a few out. I have shipped fish via USPS priority mail for years. If any of you guys need some for a project, let me know.

keith_r
08-04-2010, 06:12 AM
check your email briar.. i might be interested in a few, and i think i know where you could get rid of more

good luck!

Oldandfound1
08-04-2010, 10:37 AM
Welcome to the forum from a start-up near Seattle. Lots of good folks and great learning here.
Dennis
Oldandfound1

Big Al
08-04-2010, 02:52 PM
hi brier, just another ohioan checking in good luck Big Al

badflash
08-04-2010, 03:07 PM
Why don't you post your breeding experience in the "blue tilapia" section? That is one of the species I haven't tried yet.

Thank you guys for the warm welcome. Things are coming along well. I took the week off, and am really making some progress. I have learned that the secret to plumbing is................................................ .................................................. ...............A full tank of gas.

I will get some pics up tomorrow, honestly can't wait. I am rather proud of my system. Oh BTW, anyone need some Oreochromis aureus I happen to have a few thousand too many. :lol: Seriously. I am not in the least bit afraid of shipping a few out. I have shipped fish via USPS priority mail for years. If any of you guys need some for a project, let me know.

Brier
08-04-2010, 07:31 PM
I will do just that very shortly Badflash. This is a very busy week for me, but as soon as things settle down I will take an hour and do a nice write up on my broodfish set up. I absolutely love them. They are so sustainable. There is no other fish that is as easy to breed for a backyard farmer. If I were raising channel catfish, I would have to rely on outside sources yearly for my fish.

badflash
08-04-2010, 08:10 PM
Mossies are easier, but I'm sure aurea are bigger. What I want to know is how big a difference there is between males & females.

Brier
08-04-2010, 10:39 PM
Well what I can tell you is this. My brood fish have a large size differential. But my growout fish have less differential. I use pvc hardware cloth cable tied to a 1 inch pvc pipe frame. This sits on the bottom of each growout tank, and prevents egg collecting by the females. Acts like cage culture. I hope that is what you were asking. Keep the females from holding eggs, and they will eat.

catfish
08-05-2010, 07:51 AM
This sounds interesting, what all do you use the Blue Tilapia for?

Please post pics when you can.

thanks

jackalope
08-06-2010, 03:41 PM
Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here! Questions are always welcome, don't be too skeeered to ask, we don't bite (well, maybe one or two of us, but not all of us :lol: :lol: ) We love questions, and we especially love photos ;)

We have a great FAQ (http://diyaquaponics.com/forum/faq.php) button for navigating the website controls, etc. at the top of the page, next to the "Members" button, please check it out if you haven't already done so.
We also have another FAQ (http://diyaquaponics.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=93) section which contains many of the hints and tips that have been collected along the way ..........
Before posting any URLs or emails, please take a look at the Forum Rules (http://diyaquaponics.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=103) .....
If you see something that you would like added to these FAQs, please let a moderator or admin know, and we'll discuss it and possibly add it to the list!

BTW, we have a special section for off-topic conversations called "The Sump" (http://diyaquaponics.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=102) to hopefully avoid crapping threads and keeping things on topic ;)

Once again, WELCOME TO THE FORUM :!: :!:

Brier
08-20-2010, 09:47 PM
Finally got around to a couple of pics

badflash
08-21-2010, 07:03 AM
Can you post larger pictures? I can't seem to expand these and they are too small for me to see any detail. Normally you can click on pictures like this, but it isn't working for me.

Brier
08-21-2010, 04:21 PM
Badflash, these were large pictures. I am not sure what happened. I think the forum auto resized them. Does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks Matt

badflash
08-21-2010, 05:10 PM
Get a photobucket account (free) make the folder public at photobucket, and upload the images there. You can then paste an img link to it and it shows up here.

Brier
08-21-2010, 09:22 PM
okay lets try this http://s864.photobucket.com/albums/ab204/brier2/. You should be able to view better here. I still don't know what I am doing when it comes to actually posting them here.

Badflash I took the liberty to edit your post. If you mouse over any picture at photobucket you'll see several lines of code show up. Select the image code (img) and paste it here:
http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab204/brier2/gotitnowwholegreenhouse.jpg

If you edit this post you'll see what the code looks like.

davidstcldfl
08-22-2010, 06:01 AM
Hi Brier, It took me awhile to figure it out.

Once you load a picture on Face book, place your cursor on whichever picture you want to post. You'll see a small window pop up, with different codes.......look for the IMG CODE.
'Copy and paste'.. the code, right into your reply.

Hope this helps.... :)

urbanfarmer
10-10-2010, 08:20 PM
How much was that green house? I was thinking about using one of these as a green house: http://www.harborfreight.com/portable-garage-42211.html