PDA

View Full Version : Another Texas boy

Hotrodmike
07-21-2010, 11:36 PM
Ok by law I gotta post ,right :P
Was asking Stucco some questions ,he kept sending me links to here but could not see the pix so had to sign up .
I do not have a system running but am in the process of getting everything up and running.
The most fun part is now ,,,,digging a hole to drop my tank part way into the ground so my GB's dont have to be so high and I can get a little bit temp stability . The tank was going into the greenhouse but size got in my way after finding a 1500 gallon tank . So for now it goes beside the greenhouse and maybe next year I can extend the greenhouse over the tank . It's a fun dig since this is Texas Hill country and the ground is basicly brown clay over red clay with limestone then more limestone then more red clay / limestone ,and thats just the first foot :o .
Well as soon as the hole is done I can get the tank and modify it get the pump & filter plumbed in . Yea I figured it better to ad a filter system with back wash for two reasons ; first I plan to run some raft systems and that water needs to be without solids and second we still have a good sized raised bed garden and a lot of container plants in the greenhouse that could benefit from from the waste in backwashing. Pump is a 1800 GPH
I'm sure I will have a load of questions as things progress and have a couple I will put in my next post . This project was approved by the overlord and she put me on a real short time frame :mrgreen: She figures if she has to figure where to winter all here tropical plants and move all here veggies around in the greenhouse , I better get my butt in gear
Have A Kind Day
Mike

davidstcldfl
07-22-2010, 02:46 AM
Hello hotrodmike..... :D ...welcome to the forum !

Wow, your jumping right in there with a 1500 gal tank... :mrgreen:
I had to chuckle when you made the remark of ...This project was approved by the overlord ... :lol: Your a smart man, you know that rule...If Momma isn't happy, nobody is happy !

Mike, how about starting a thread in 'Backyard systems' and posting a picture or two, of what you have going ? 'We' like to follow along, as another AP addict does their project... :P
Have a good one Mike.

JCO
07-22-2010, 03:59 AM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers. :mrgreen:

Hotrodmike
07-22-2010, 10:55 AM
Thanks guys I will have some pix when I get to a point of having something to take a picture of . I figure the last thing anyone needs to see the first thing in the AM is a sweaty ol man in a hole , I'm scarey enough on a good day :lol:
Got some good headway ,although I now have to re-layout all the plans . Found I had picked a good spot to dig ,yea like there are any of them after moving hole over 6 ft due to a volkswagon sized rock ,the rock was winning . Hole is almost done :cry: and they say you can't dig with a frontend loader
Tank should be here this afternoon and with have some thing to take a pic of
I thought 1500 gallons was kinda small for raising Marlin !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:
Have A Kind Day
Mike

davidstcldfl
07-22-2010, 12:03 PM
Thanks guys I will have some pix when I get to a point of having something to take a picture of . I figure the last thing anyone needs to see the first thing in the AM is a sweaty ol man in a hole , I'm scarey enough on a good day

It's OK.....some of us are, an hour ahead of you...we've been awake already and had a sip or two of coffee . :lol:
Besides... pictures of guys in a hole in the ground are normal...actually they are required... :lol: You should be proud of the hole in the ground, that you made ! Lets see that front end loader too.... :P
Here's Stucco in his hole ....See that shovel, He only had sand to dig in... :D
download/file.php?id=345&mode=view (http://diyaquaponics.com/forum/download/file.php?id=345&mode=view)
Notice, he's kneeling....trying to make the hole, 'look deeper'... :P :lol:

Look at my picture...all the post holes are dug, and I have the posthole digger standing there. What you don't see is.... my buddy's power auger that I used on all the holes , but the first two.... :roll: http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad157/davidstcldfl/dec1st09firstpost.jpg

Hotrodmike
07-22-2010, 12:25 PM
David
If I had to dig a hole that deep ,in this area , I would just shoot myself !!!! :lol:
O and that guy aint half as ugly !ROFLMAO
Nope ! You may be an hour early but I just looked and the hole is no bigger so you must have gotten the wrong address !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll: but I am sure someone is very unhappy to find a hole in their yard .
Have A Kind Day
Mike

davidstcldfl
07-22-2010, 12:37 PM
Even in sand, I didn't want to dig a big hole. I built my tank above ground... :D
http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad157/davidstcldfl/Toprailinplace.jpg

Hotrodmike
07-22-2010, 01:34 PM
David
Nice looking tank what is it about 800gal ?
Have A Kind Day
Mike

davidstcldfl
07-22-2010, 01:50 PM
Thanks Mike. It's just over 500 gals...aprox 3' x 3' x 9'

stucco
07-23-2010, 03:22 AM
WELCOME HOTRODMIKE!!! 8-)

Hotrodmike
07-23-2010, 07:58 PM
Hey Stucco
David Just looked bigger
Ok guys here is a pic of the tank I have not figured if I want to lop off the top and make a support ring or just cut an opening in the dome as a 16 port hole on top just aint gonna cut it . I think I would prefer to just cut a good sized door in the dome but I don't care for the tank to get loose although it will be 1/2 buried .
couple pic's of the almost done hole and my Kubota , this hole is killing me but the tractor has been a great help even though you cant dig with one :shock:
Have A Kind Day
Mike