PDA

View Full Version : New Member in NW Washington

Oldandfound1
07-15-2010, 01:47 PM
I am on self-imposed light duty today because on this day 65 years ago in North Dakota was my birthday. The next day July 16, 1945 the first atomic bomb test was performed. I think of it as my birthday celebration firecracker.
A short while back on our farm property here in Maple Valley, Washington I began building a greenhouse. The ground area has been prepared for 23 feet wide by 32 feet long. The perimeter base lumber installed just yesterday. A sump hole is dug in one corner which will hold about 430 gallons. The hoop style greenhouse will enclose my aquaponics system -CHIFT-PIST. But since I am the general contractor on a limited budget it will be some while building.
Numerous occupations in my life including plumbers apprentice
fisherman, upholsterer, perfumer, group home parent, real estate and life insurance sales, pet casket builder, and entrapreneur of framed art, i figured "why not Aquaponics"
Seriously, the volume of information available is growing like bacteria in a gravel bed. YouTube has over 1600 movies, Australians love yabbies, going vertical are high tech automated revolving devices remindful of the carpet displays in a Home Depot or a college student with an aquarium and grow bed in the dorm room. One doctoral thesis says aquaponics is most complicated best left to chemists with an air pump, fifty sensor probes and 50 computerized graph lines on a satelite upfeed for world wide distribution. Another has succeeded at growing with a used 2 watt pump, one half a wine barrel, and some store bought guppies.
Those who share the middle ground advenure are us.
Enjoy your day,
Oldandfound1

Big Al
07-15-2010, 02:33 PM
hi oldandfound1, looking foward to see what you come up with best of luck. Big Al

davidstcldfl
07-15-2010, 02:39 PM
Happy Birthday, Oldandfound1

Welcome to the forum.... :D
HMmmmmm.....a perfumer and a pet casket builder....you don't run into those everyday of the week.... :lol:

We like pictures....even some boards on the ground, for a greenhouse frame and a hole in the ground !

Big Al
07-15-2010, 03:18 PM
hi oldandfound1, sorry i missed the birthday have a good one later Big Al

JCO
07-15-2010, 06:34 PM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers. :mrgreen:

Oldandfound1
08-03-2010, 10:02 AM
Thank you for the welcomes. There has been some progress since first posting here. A footing has been poured around the sump area, a hole in the ground. The sump will get up to about 600 gallons. Recently brought home a 325 IBC. The greenhouse is slow going as budget allows. It willI be 23'x32'. The perimeter 4x4 treated, and stand posts 36" high are in place for the hoops. Yesterday I found a PVC "bending" link and find that that maximum arc for 40 feet of 2" is 155" or about 13 feet radius. I have about 121/2' radius. Once I insert one of the 40' ends on the galvanized posts and get close to inserting it on the other end, I could lose my earthboundness and be flipped into the North Cascades, or Puget Sound depending on which side I start.
Lately found that an ironmonger just a few miles away has about 2 acres of "goodies". Those stud wall framing clips are my best find at 50 cents a pound. Got some 5/8"x36" re-bar to clip the perimeter to the ground, and abundant galvanized pipe for the hoop legs now all in and level at 36" hip.
The reading goes on now for about 2 months in the AP field.
Yesterday located TroutLodge, (comes up in a Google search) a national-international hatchery business with numerous locations. Trout in Washington 7-9" are a dollar. They also had "eyed eggs", no pricing. Ship overnight anywhere. Artic Char, and some hybrid species also in their inventory.
Picture or two of the site and all my "stuff".
Dennis
Oldandfound1

davidstcldfl
08-03-2010, 10:17 AM
Hello again Dennis.... :)
Nice to see some pictures and to hear of your progress !

Usually....you can include the 'links' to stuff you see or read about...like your pvc bending link. Stuff that you think, other AP'ers would be interested in....or learn from.

Now is the time to start a new thread/post at .... Backyard Systems..... When your ready to share some more about your system.

Looking forward to it... :D