PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor Concrete Fish Pond?

Emmett
06-29-2010, 07:28 AM
Living in New York State it gets cold here. Very cold. I have read that it is possible to have a deep tank that doesn't freeze all the way down and that some fish are okay with that. My question is, does anyone know how deep the water has to be (below the frost line I imagine) and what fish would work in such a system? Would the system have to be shut down in the winter because the fish are hibernating (or the equivalent)?

keith_r
06-29-2010, 10:47 AM
i know some people with ponds around 12 to 15' deep that have fish in them year round, mostly bluegill, but cat's, yellow perch, not sure what else, maybe bass? trout like cold water.. I've been thinking about this as well, northeast ohio can get pretty blustery. I'm sure it's possible to grow year round with all the right tools, winter crops would be pretty limited on what would work in the cold (lettuce varieties, etc)
fish growth will slow down as it gets cold, but you'd get an earlier start on the "warm weather" crops

badflash
06-29-2010, 12:51 PM
the frost line is like 2.5', but check your local zoning. a 4' deep pond would likely work, especially if covered with a hoop house. That is my plan.

Emmett
06-30-2010, 07:11 PM
Thanks guys, I'm ramping up on my build. Of all the construction materials out there that I know very well, I've done very little concrete and I'm gearing up to learn. This may be a good project to try.

badflash
06-30-2010, 08:17 PM
You'll need a coating on the cement. Lots of wierd stuff that can leach out.

Biggles1212
08-14-2010, 08:46 AM
Hi Emmett,

Carefully with the concrete ponds. You need to make sure you have sufficient reinforcing in your pond and that ground compaction is near perfect. If either is on the the shy side, you get a leaky pond. If a crack develops then the only way to really fix it is to dig it all up and start again. A decent pool contractor should help. Otherwise use a flexible membrane, it's cheap.

rhandler
09-14-2010, 06:43 PM
What sort of options are available to seal the concrete so that it is a "food-grade" container for the fish? Great idea!

Brier
09-14-2010, 07:36 PM
Because I am aware of all of the variables that affect concrete, my suggestion is a pond liner. But any marine grade epoxy, or even fiberglass resin will seal it, and keep the concrete from leaching unwanted chemicals. A pond liner will allow for the possibility of cracks, which are common in concrete, even, when poured by professionals. If I were seriously thinking about using concrete for a tank, I would purchase something precast. But, honestly there are many other options out there that are more practical. Once you pour a cement pond, you are married to it. Moving one is rather difficult. A large galvanized stock tank painted with the same epoxy, is much more portable, and likely less expensive. I have also built large tanks out of plywood, coated with fiberglass resin, and they have held up very well, though, I would not recommend moving them much, as the resin becomes brittle. The pools, like badflash uses seem to be about the best bang for the buck.
I have been working with these recently http://www.grangerplastics.com/gp1004.html and cannot speak highly enough about them. They are nearly 3/8 inch thick, and cost me $200 each. Topped off they are 360 gallons, and should last a lifetime.