PDA

View Full Version : Low Wind Hybrid Wind Solar Power Generators

badflash
06-24-2010, 03:05 PM
Cool, but at $3K for an 800 watt generator and inverter+shipping, it isn't on my list.

badflash
06-24-2010, 05:54 PM
You have to back-feed to the grid to qualify. The system also has to be certified by the Good Old Boys in Albany. Most of the systems are about $30K with a $15K rebate. I'm not zoned for a 150' tower needed.

Riverside
06-24-2010, 07:09 PM
Hey badflash, I think you are giving NY a bad rap! (and this from a California kid<g>)

Check out http://www.powernaturally.org/programs/wind/incentives.asp

For a 1 KW generator they give your vendor $3,500, and the tallest tower seems to be only 100', and in the "On-Site / Small Wind Incentives" section, they indicate that if you don't make enough juice to feed the grid you can use their electricity . . .

1000 watts could sure run a lot of water pumps and air pumps! :D

badflash
06-25-2010, 01:41 PM
I hadn't looked at that page for some time. Looks like they have updated a few things. It would be very hard for me to contribute to a bad name for NY. We are, after all, the California of the East and will follow you into default.

Anyhoo- can't do an 80' tower either. I will look into seeing if they would OK putting one on the ridge of my roof though.

1500 watts is what I need for pumps and blowers minimum, but that is certainly something I am entertaining.

mommyhen42
01-09-2011, 11:24 AM
I bought 2 cheap wind turbines on ebay for $200 each, they are made with treadmill motors so they are rated at a max output of 850 watts although I will rarely if ever see that much output from them. We do get some high winds on occasion so it is possible.
Anyway I am re-doing them a little, upgrading the hub and blades.
I have them set to charge 2 12volt batteries and then dump into a grid tie unit. I have 4 300 watt invertors attached to each of the two turbines. I was also able to find them at a decient price about $240 for all 8 grid tie invertors.
I also have a solar panel array hooked in as well but it is a small one with 4 60 watt panels and 3 5 watt panels. right now they are connected in series but I intend to get another 5 watt panel so that I have 2 sets of 4 panels, this way they can be wired in series parallel to double the output. The voltage regulator will shift it back down to 15 volts from the 24 they will each produce. but I am considering simply hooking them to another grid tie invertor since it can handle up to 26 volts input.

jackalope
01-09-2011, 11:34 AM
I'd love to have wind generators here ..... we have a lot of wind ..... I've looked into DIY wind generators, but so far, I've found nothing that will fit on the roof of the saloon/shop/warehouse, and I think there would probably be something illegal if I were to put one on the top of an abandoned power pole that sits in my yard :(.

mommyhen42
01-09-2011, 12:04 PM
Many will still work for a roof installation
Missouri Wind and Solar is a good source of information there
You can use the same mounting equipment as you would use to mount an old fashioned antenna.
You need to be careful in your blade choice as you want low noise and of course low vibration.
Again I would recomend missouri wind and solar, the hub I just bought from them was absolutely perfectly balanced! The blades are sharp, flexable, and well built for noise reduction and speed.

webrey227
06-23-2011, 01:18 AM
Cool, but at $3K for an 800 watt generator and inverter+shipping, it isn't on my list.

It is worthy to have an wind solar power generators. At the moment we are benefited with Solar Panels Townsville is so astounding.

Post edited by Admin

coledexter1920
03-04-2012, 11:23 PM
I think you should try it once may be this will help you in reducing pricing cost of energy, my friend spend 20k$ on 2k watt solar panel. They are going to get their spending money which they thought help them in saving energy.

Mr. Ninja
04-05-2013, 12:17 PM
I'd love to have wind generators here ..... we have a lot of wind ..... I've looked into DIY wind generators, but so far, I've found nothing that will fit on the roof of the saloon/shop/warehouse, and I think there would probably be something illegal if I were to put one on the top of an abandoned power pole that sits in my yard :(.

You could build a vertical axis wind turbine! Here's a great instructable: click (http://www.instructables.com/id/Build-a-Savonius-VAWT-to-Make-Electricity-2012-Upd/).

Small enough to go on a roof!

badflash
04-05-2013, 01:30 PM
I just completed a 9.12 KW roof solar installation though Solar City on my new home in January. Of course it is not putting out anything near capacity, but it gives me some good solid data on what to expect when I add for my greenhouse. I've generated 881KW this year in about 90 days. That is less than 10 KW per day, but that is also over the worst times of the year. The last week output has kicked up to around 40KW per day.

This was a no brainer, and I am very happy with Solar City so far. $8K up front, no cost down the road, and the power is mine. This is a 20 year solar lease, so they take care of everything. They even re-enforced my roof to support it. Totally a turn-key operation. If you are interested, PM me. They give a break for referrals. The only thing I needed to do was clear some trees and upgrade my distribution panel.