PDA

View Full Version : Workshops

Ironfish
06-18-2010, 05:27 PM
Hi ,

My wife and I just got back from from a 1 day workshop in Columbus on " The Four P's of a safe and Sustainable Aquaculture Industry: Practices, Presentation, Promotion and the Press"
It was sponsored by the National Aquaculture Assoc. and the United Soybean Board. Associate Sponsors: Ohio Dept. of Agriculture, Ohio State University Extension, OSU Ohio Agriculture Research and Development Center (OARDC), Ohio Aquaculture Assoc. (OAA), and Fish Farmers of Ohio.
After this long introduction, I'll get to the point. For those of you that are in Ohio or close to. I would recommend joining the O.A.A. They work with OSU and the state to develop the aquaculture industry.
The next workshop up will be in the Wooster area (my neck of the woods). The workshop will be on the topic of money. How to get money for aquaculture. How to make money in Aquaculture, What to do with the money you make.
They will have reps. from the USDA, ODA, SARE, FSA, OSU, and bankers from around the state and investors to you help you in grants, cost share, and low interest loans.
Cost: $25.00 includes lunch.
Register with Julie Strawer-Moose Information Associate
OSU South Centers
740-289-2071 ext. 223
800-297-2072 ext. 223
This may scare those of you just starting. This state and some of the others have very good programs to help those who want to develop your hobby into a business.
The aquaculture industry in the US is an 8 billion dollar business with over 80% of it imported. We can make this country more independent by growing locally. Aquaponics is perfect.

Ironfish

stucco
06-19-2010, 07:09 AM
Too bad it’s not closer.

Big Al
06-19-2010, 06:52 PM
hi ironfish, how are you doing when is the next workshop in wooster. thanks Big Al

Ironfish
06-19-2010, 07:08 PM
Hi Big Al,

There will be a bus tour of different fish farms on July 16. The workshop on profitability is on July 17.
You will need to register for one or both.
Am doing good here not enough time. Did you start your system yet?

Ironfish

Big Al
06-19-2010, 07:16 PM
hi ironfish, yes we started it on tuesday evening. my son and i washed gravel on wednesday and filled the barrels. planted barrels on thursday and this morning there they were onions geenbeans peas all sprouted tomatoes &peppers looking good. my brother & i want to thank you for answering our question that day and showing us your system. thanks again Big Al

Big Al
06-19-2010, 07:25 PM
hi ironfish, do you have any fish for sale or know of anyone between you and me that has any perch for sale now that we could get. locals wont sell any right now can you help us out. i also watered our garden with some extra fish tank water tonight so we'll see what happens.

Ironfish
06-19-2010, 07:48 PM
Big Al,

Yes I can give you some. Give me a call tomorrow or next week to set things up.

Ironfish

jackalope
06-20-2010, 08:45 AM
Columbus? I used to live and work there .... got hurt on the job at Royal Paper Stock Co. and spent 3 mo.s in the hospital w/a broken pelvis ...... I lived in a flop house at 645 High St. right above a bar and a storefront Pentecostal church. (boy, that was fun when both of them got to being rowdy at the same time!) Of course that was many a year ago just after I got out of the Army ..... '64 and '65 IIRC, so I don't imagine any of that is still there! That area had real good weather, I still wonder why I ever left ..... and now I'm in Montana where we have 8 and 9 month winters ....... go figure :roll: :roll: :!:

The one thing I would like to ask about, if I were able to attend some of those kind of seminars on aquaculture/aquaponics/hydroponics is whether they (whomever it is that gives out the dough-re-me) would sponsor/grant/loan to someone who is interested in doing things w/o GMO seed and fish ..... I've seen some literature on gov't grants for aquaculture, and they seem to want you to buy GMO fish (disease and cold resistant) from 'approved' suppliers - which I, personally, wouldn't be interested in. As well, to raise something that has the USDA 'Organic' label on it looks to be a huge paperwork nightmare along with giving their 'inspectors' free access to your facilities 24/7, which I would strenuously object to. Maybe you can ask some of those questions for me at the next workshop you attend ironfish ;) I'm sure many of us here would be interested in the answers :!:

THX, jackalope :mrgreen:

Ironfish
06-20-2010, 04:09 PM
Hi Jackalope,

I'll throw the questions out there when I go. As far a gmo fish there is no such thing yet, as far as the Ohio researchers know. That question was asked in the last workshop.

Ironfish

Big Al
06-20-2010, 06:02 PM
hi ironfish , thanks i'll try giving you a call this week mid-week or so. we appreciate that :D . things are looking good in our system. thanks Big Al

Ironfish
07-18-2010, 05:29 AM
Hi,
On Fri., I went on the bus tour to different fish operations in this area of the state. Two of the stops were fish proccessors and sales. The rest of the stops were fish growers. All pond people.
I had a great time! Met new people and talked to people I only see once in a while. Great lunch at an Amish farm. He had 4 ponds on his place, (yellow perch and blue gill).
The OSU and Ohio AG. people answered questions on all different topics in between stops. Five stops, We started about 8:30 got back 6:00PM.
The Ohio Soybean Council sponsored the tour. They are looking at Ohio soybean as a fish food for Ohio aquaculture industry.
On Sat., Wife and I went to money workshop along with Big Al and his brother. They covered all the different kind of loans and grants and how to approach them. We found them very helpful.
Maybe Big Al will tell what they thought about the seminar and tell you about his buy of the year!

Ironfish

Big Al
07-19-2010, 05:34 AM
hi ironfish, yes the class we attended was very informative. lots of information to digest. there were representatives from the usda talking about farm loans through the farm service service agency (fsa). talking about all the different grants, value added producer grants, loans, low interest loans and so on that are avalible to us in aquaponics and aquaculture. there were representatives there from the sustainable agriculture network (sare) talking about utilizing grants to achieve your farm objectives. there were representatives there from ohio state university (osu) GO BUCKS south centers. talking about how to get $ for aquaculture. along with a fabulous lunch featuring ohio grown grilled talapia out of this world. followed by a q & a with the ohio aquaculture association (oaa). a wonderful organization. so all in all it was well worth the $25 we spent. oh yeah my deal of the year 2 brand new in the box sweetwater regenerative blowers model 2103 for $300. i couldn"t pass it up. thanks Big Al