PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Canada

RJCal
06-16-2010, 07:41 AM
Hi everyone, I'm Rose from Alberta, Canada. I live in a condo, so aquaponics is sort of my dream to implement on a small homestead in the country someday...way down the road. For now, I've been reading all of your posts for months now and am learning so much from everyone. Thank you all for willingly sharing your knowledge and experience with us all.

JCO
06-16-2010, 07:51 AM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers. Be sure to go to your profile and put in where you live. There might be some members close by. :mrgreen:

jackalope
06-16-2010, 11:34 AM
Hi Rose;

Welcome to the Forum, we're glad you're here :!:

Don't let living in a condo stop you from getting some experience in aquaponics .... You can have one right there in the condo with a 10 gallon FT stocked with Guppies, and a couple of Sterilite GBs or some plastic gutter to raise a few heads of lettuce, some herbs or a few tomatoes. A baker's rack, a small pond pump, an aquarium pump with an airstone, a few pvc fittings and short lengths of pvc pipe and you're in business :!: We're all here to help you get that started ;) You may not want to eat the fish :lol: but the experience and the misteaks that we all make will be invaluable when you get that country farm, ...... and ..... the extra Guppies will make great cat food (there will be an abundance of extra Guppies if you buy a few females to go along with those fancy-tailed males :o :shock:) :lol:

davidstcldfl
06-16-2010, 05:58 PM
Hi Rose....welcome.... :D

Riverside
06-16-2010, 08:11 PM
Hi Rose,

Welcome to the group! Spent about 6 months in Alberta myself, in Coaldale, about 20 miles east of Lethbridge, remember going into Lethbridge and getting cases of Lethbridge Pil <g> And those Chinook winds . . . . . wow

As others have said, don't let living in a condo stop you from learning all you can, even with small system; in fact, small systems are even more challenging because of their small size, but you will still learns lots that you can scale up later.

RJCal
06-23-2010, 07:48 AM
Jackalope, you're absolutely right! I have a cat that would sure enjoy fresh guppy dinners :lol: Now I'll have to search around for some used rain barrels. My hubby is not going to be happy with more clutter on the balcony, but too bad! Jackalope, your advice on this forum has been so invaluable, particularly since you live in a similar climate to me. Thanks for being generous with your learnings. Riverside, yes, the Chinooks winds here are crazy :shock:

SAUCEMONSTER
07-04-2010, 03:07 PM
Hello,

Just joined the forum. I'm from Calgary, Alberta and I'm hoping to start up a system early next spring. Any books or literature anyone recommends I start reading in preparation? Looking forward to learning about everyone's projects.

davidstcldfl
07-04-2010, 04:53 PM
Hi Saucemonster....welcome.... :D

Lots of reading here in the forum.....check out... 'Want to know how to ?'....'Aquaponics knowhow'....'FAQ's'....'Link's and other info'.

A good place for ideas, is to read 'Backyard Systems'. There, you can see how others have/are building their systems.

I recently watched 2 videos by Murray Hallam....Aquaponics knowhow and Aquaponic Secrets....great videos by the way.
Murray is located in Australlia. There are 2 web sites selling them here in the US, which should be less postage.