PDA

View Full Version : FACE IT

JCO
06-14-2010, 06:59 PM
This new topic....FACE IT..will be a rememberance from year to year of who we were and who we are now.

Each member who wishes to post an up to the minute photo of their self and then edit that post each year and put an up-to-date photo beside the one from the previous year..."Photo Time Line" record keeping....is welcome to participate.

Participation not required naturally, but encouraged...otherwise...you'd not be one of the guys or gals as the case may be.:mrgreen:

JCO
06-14-2010, 07:01 PM
My name is James Christopher O'Brian and I'll be 67 in July.

That's my wife's hand painted saw from the Ozarks. She bought it some 30 or more years ago at a craft fair and YES, I know it looks like it's embedded in my head :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
http://diyaquaponics.com/images/2.jpg

stucco
06-14-2010, 07:11 PM
i will be 40 this july. ouch!

badflash
06-14-2010, 07:53 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c70/badflash/tilapia/P2170006.jpg
This is me petting one of my Nile tilapia. Nice & slimy.
Stucco, you are just a spring chicken compared to the rest of us.

jackalope
06-14-2010, 09:53 PM
I avoid camera's like the plague ..... I break them just by smiling!

stucco
06-15-2010, 02:49 AM
Nice guns badflash! 8-)

badflash
06-15-2010, 05:41 AM
Guns? :?:

JCO
06-15-2010, 06:02 AM
biceps, muscles :lol: :mrgreen:

badflash
06-15-2010, 09:46 AM
biceps, muscles :lol: :mrgreen:
That's from lifting those 5 gallon buckets :mrgreen:

JCO
06-15-2010, 11:06 AM
At least you weren't having to tote that bail or hoe and pick that cotton like I did. :shock: :mrgreen:

Emmett
06-15-2010, 12:27 PM
Stucco, you remind me of Les Stroud aka Surviverman.

JCO
06-15-2010, 12:47 PM
How 'bout a picture of a cowboy there emmett :shock: :mrgreen:

Emmett
06-15-2010, 02:54 PM
Hmmmm. k.
[attachment=0:398fsava]IMG_0002.JPG[/attachment:398fsava]
Thats as good as you're getting!
Me writing on the Flogging Molly tour bus "Buffalo or Bust". The funniest thing was the drummer catching me doing it! :lol:

I wanted to give you the blurry picture of me blacksmithing, but I apparently lost that picture when my hard drive died.

stucco
06-17-2010, 02:48 PM
I guess I’m not the only tattooed guy here. 8-)

Emmett
06-17-2010, 03:30 PM
My name is James Christopher O'Brian Woh! :shock: That's an O'Brian with an "a"? That's a rare thing! Do you have family in Buffalo NY? O'Brian is also my last name!

stucco
06-17-2010, 07:19 PM
:)

Emmett
06-18-2010, 04:17 AM
Exactly! :lol:

JCO
06-18-2010, 06:40 AM
Yes Stucco, I do have a few tattoos courtesy of the USN experience. :shock:

Emmett, as to our name, I was told by my Grandfather many, many years ago (he was born in 1887) that all O'Brians in the world are related to one small clan from Ireland. He told that it all came about because of twin brothers named O'Brien who vied for control of the clan when their daddy died.

When the dust settled, the one that lost the vote, took those that would follow and to spite his brother and those that went against him, he changed his new clan's name from O'Brien to O'Brian and declared a war of unrest against his brother. Nothing came of the war because shortly thereafter the other brother became ill and died, but his followers would not allow the other brother to come back as clan leader and declared him and his followers banished. :o

I don't know how many years ago this was to have happened but apparently it was quite some time ago.

I was told by my Grandfather that his father, my Great Grandfather, came to America with his mother (his father was already dead) in 1863 at the age of 16 and as soon as he stepped off the ship in Boston, he was forced into the Union Army and put right back on a ship and sent to the front lines along with other male Irish immigrants as young as 12 and 13 who had just arrived. About 3 months after he had been shipped off, another lad who he had come over with told him that he had receive news from his mother that my Great Grandfather's mother had died of starvation. Welcome to America...it's somewhat different now....!

So I guess we're related somewhere back there in time. Welcome to the "CLAN"...! :D

So Emmett, I guess we are from the DARK SIDE and it's really strange, but I have never met an O'Brien that I actually liked although there have been few that I have actually met. Nothing personal, I'm sure there must be some O'Briens I would like...maybe... :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

Emmett
06-18-2010, 03:41 PM
Maybe that's why my family won't talk about our ancestry! :o :shock: If only my grandpa was still alive I'd ask him. Not that he'd know really. I wonder if there's any documentation of that? I guess I have another research project.

JCO
06-18-2010, 07:29 PM
I don't know how or where you were raised Emmett, but I was raised by my Grandparents on a farm in the flat lands at the foothills of the Ozark Mountains in Southeast Missouri. I asked my Grandfather about his daddy when I was Senior in High School, for one thing because he never talked about him and secondly because we had been studying the immigrant makeup of America in history class in school and I was curious about how my Great Grandfather had come to be in America.

I've researched it a number of times, but have never found anything to substantiate what my Grandfather told me about the O'Brian name but I did find that the O'Brian name and many other versions of it are suppose to have all originated with an Irish King named Brian.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBcQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FBrian_B oru&rct=j&q=Ireland%27s+King+Bryan&ei=SyYcTOaGFcOclgeVq-CiDQ&usg=AFQjCNHEN5pxivdP319uCMg4LMgn-6KIfw

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/4/23?catId=6

http://www.houseofnames.com/xq/asp.fc/qx/o_brian-family-crest.htm

My Grandfather was an easy going man but you never could catch him off guard with anything you said except I guess he didn't expect to have it come at him from me. He said I don't talk about my daddy because then I have to admit to myself that he's no longer with me. That's when he told me about the O'Brians and how his daddy came to America and was an orphan fighting a war in a strange land at the age of 16.

He talked for hours about everything he knew about his daddy and what it was like growing up to be the only son (child) of an only son (child). Strangely enough, my Grandfather had only one child (a son) who was my father and I am an only child (son) and I have only one child (a son) who will 22 in October this year. "AND THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!" That was the only time he ever talked about his daddy. My Grandfather live to be 97 and I still miss him greatly even today and he's been gone many years now. WELCOME TO THE CLAN O'BRIAN... :mrgreen:

Emmett
06-18-2010, 07:56 PM
Honored of course! :D

stucco
06-19-2010, 01:01 PM
Is that a tilly that you are wearing?

davidstcldfl
06-19-2010, 02:45 PM
This is my....I'm tired and I didn't think it would be this hard, to take a picture of myself with my cell phone 'look'..... :roll:
http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad157/davidstcldfl/faceit.jpg

Working outside, in the heat of a FL summer, takes it out of a guy... :(
I'd like to order a 'hemp' Tilley, for working outside.....but some of the other construction workers might be trying to 'smoke it', if they find out what it's made from.... :lol:

JCO
06-19-2010, 03:18 PM
David...there's something really fishy about that picture, but I just can't put my finger on what it is... :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

davidstcldfl
06-19-2010, 03:39 PM
David...there's something really fishy about that picture, but I just can't put my finger on what it is...
As long as it doesn't 'smell' fishy... :lol:

It's from Charley's Greenhouse & has cool vents.

I've got one that's similar....I got it, from of all places....the gift shop at Cracker Barrel.... :lol:

stucco
06-19-2010, 04:07 PM
Yea… it would be hard to shell out 70$ish for a hat, but they are so sweet and that sun seems to be getting closer every day. I’ve been considering it, but I have to wear the stinking hard hat all day.
Nice wall paper David!

davidstcldfl
06-19-2010, 04:44 PM
Yeah, I have to wear a hard hat on commercial jobs too. I use one of the little welder caps under mine, to keep the straps off my bald head.... :lol:

My 'wall paper', keeps eating and growing ! Those are the 'little' guys I got from you and TC. Some of the ones outside, are even bigger.... :shock:

stucco
06-19-2010, 04:48 PM
:oops: I still have not found any with eggs or fry. :roll: Maybe mine are lame.

dennis
12-30-2010, 06:35 PM
saving gas and having fun, on the way to hydroponics store in vegas