PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everyone!

pniedzwiecki
06-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Hello Everyone,

New member here. Just getting started in aquaponics. I have had descent luck with hydroponics (tomatoes and cantaloupe) over the last couple of years. I really like the idea of aquaponics and decided to give this a try. My systems are all indoors.

My aquaponics system consists of a 100 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank and a 4'x8'x10.5" grow bed (raft system) with a 40mil rubber pond liner. I also have 2 1000 watt lights above the grow bed. At this point the system has been cycling for about a week (since Memorial Day 2010) with no fish or plants. Recently the water has turned cloudy (white), not sure why. According to what I have been reading, it is most likely a bacteria bloom. Hopefully it will clear up soon. I have not added any chemicals.

The latest test of the water showed a water temperature of 72deg F, a ph around 7, ammonia level around 8 (not sure where all this could have come from), 0 or little nitrites and 0 nitrates.

I used our well water that runs through an inline RO filter to fill the system. The source water test showed 0 ammonia. So, again I am not sure what could be the source of the ammonia levels I currently have. I am using a master test kit from API that I bought from a local pet store.

I will post a few pic as soon as I figure out the best way to do that.

Thanks

dufflight
06-05-2010, 01:30 AM
Welcome. Post a few pictures. Did you add anything to the water to start it cycling.

JCO
06-05-2010, 06:38 AM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers :mrgreen:

pniedzwiecki
06-05-2010, 11:26 AM
Hello,

I have not put anything in the water to start the cycle process. A friend of mine is going to get me a few gallons of water from his aquarium filter media (next couple of days). Maybe that will help kickstart the process.

A few pics:

The fish tank.
http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae86/pansphotos/Aquaponics%20Setup/Picture2663.jpg
http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae86/pansphotos/Aquaponics%20Setup/Picture2538.jpg

The grow bed.
http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae86/pansphotos/Aquaponics%20Setup/Picture2380.jpg
http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae86/pansphotos/Aquaponics%20Setup/Picture2471.jpg
http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae86/pansphotos/Aquaponics%20Setup/Picture2468.jpg

Overall grow room.
http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae86/pansphotos/Aquaponics%20Setup/Picture2570.jpg

The filter I am currently using.
http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae86/pansphotos/Aquaponics%20Setup/Picture2630.jpg

Thanks.

pniedzwiecki
06-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Hello,

Water tests today indicate no change in temp, ph, amonia, nitrites or nitrates from the previous post. However, the water seems to have cleared up somewhat.

Here are some pics from today:

Fish Tank.
http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae86/pansphotos/Aquaponics%20Setup/Aquaponicsfishtank6-5-10.jpg

Grow Bed.
http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae86/pansphotos/Aquaponics%20Setup/aquaponicsgrowbed6-5-10.jpg

Either the water is clearer today or the lighting in the room is playing tricks on me. The photos of the fish tank in the previous post were taken with one of the grow lights on, while the pics in this post were taken without the grow light on. So, either the water is getting clearer or the lighting is just making it seem so.

Thanks.

dufflight
06-05-2010, 03:35 PM
Still would be good to know where the Am came from, or if the test kit is funky. I had a PH meter that gave me a false reading while I tried to adjust the ph in a hydro system. Realised too late that it was not working and it killed off the seedlings.

If you can't find the ammonia source maybe a new lot of water may give you a better starting point. What fish are you planing on keeping. A few feeder fish(goldfish) are good to get a system going before you fully stock the system.

badflash
06-05-2010, 07:20 PM
Often the pipes and liners can leach stuff into the system. I would dump the water and start again, just to be safe.

If you add water with chloramine and use only a de-chlorinator designed for chlorine alone, you get ammonia as a bi-product from the cracking of chloramine. Products like Amquel+ or Seachem Prime deal with chloramine.

Keep in mind your bacteria will need a bio source to stay alive, so a source of ammonia must show up at the same time as the bacteria. It is a delicate dance. If your friend cleans his filters you can add that to the tank at the same time as you add fish.

I take it you will be using floating raft to grow your plants?

I took the liberty of changing the links to IMG so they can be viewed directly.

pniedzwiecki
06-05-2010, 07:34 PM
Hello,

Thanks for the comments dufflight.

The high ammonia levels are a bit worrisome, but I think I will just give it some more time before I resort to changing out the water. If I do change out the water I am going to go with a different source, even if I have to buy it.

As far as the fish are concerned, ultimately I will be raising yellow lake perch. But I havn’t decided whether to start with a few gold fish or go straight to the perch. I like the idea of starting with gold fish but I may grow impatient and just start with the perch. Someday I would like to try to raise some Tilapia but right now I do not have an efficient method of heating the water.

Thanks.

pniedzwiecki
06-05-2010, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the comments badflash.

You may be right about the leaching. I just wonder what the chances are that I could change out the water and end up getting the same amount of contamination? Maybe I will just have to give that a try.

One interesting note is that I have tested the water with some 5 in 1 test strips and it shows 0 ammonia and all the other readings (ph, nitrite, and nitrate) match the fluid master test kit results. Just thought I would mention that.

Since I used our well water through an inline RO filter, I did not use any de-chlorinator, as I did not think it was necessary.

I did use some ph down solution that I had leftover from my hydroponics setup. Other than that I have added nothing to the water. I did use pvc pipe fitting glue on the drain pipes though. Is the glue going to be alright or do I need to redo that?

Yes, the system will be floating raft. I still need to get some rigid Styrofoam though. I also need to get some plexi-glass to cover the fish tank.

Thanks for changing the image links. Is that something I can do? If so, and if its not to bothersome, could you explain that procedure to me?

Thanks,

pniedzwiecki
06-05-2010, 08:12 PM
badflash,

Nevermind about the image link procedure. I think I figured it out.

Thanks,

badflash
06-05-2010, 08:14 PM
RO water would have no ammonia. It also has nothing else. You need to mineralize the water. I suspect your ammonia is a false reading.

I would get a 40# bag of crushed coral and add it to the fish tank. The water will go white for a couple of days then clear.

I would NOT use goldfish. They carry disease and you don't want that. If the perch are not too dear, go straight to them and add the aquarium mulm at the same time. Get the filter gook, not the water.

JCO
06-06-2010, 05:57 AM
You post your location as USA...it would be of interest to all of us on the forum if we at least knew what state you live in. :mrgreen:

pniedzwiecki
06-06-2010, 04:40 PM
JCO,

I updated my profile to show that I am currently living in Michigan, about 2 hours north of Detroit. I actually lived in Jacksonville, FL for about fifteen years. I moved back to MI about 5 or 6 years ago from Jacksonville. I hope to get back there some day.

Thanks,

pniedzwiecki
06-06-2010, 05:33 PM
badflash,

If you don't mind, could you elaborate on your crushed coral suggestion? I don’t doubt your experience but I think it is important for myself and others new to this stuff to have a good understanding of what we are adding to the system and why. You know what I mean?

Thanks,

badflash
06-08-2010, 02:52 PM
Crushed coral is a standard gravel used in many aquariums and is safe for fish. It is composed of aragonite, which has the same chemical formula as calcium carbonate, but a different crystal structure. It dissolves more slowly so has a nice buffering effect on the water without going overboard.

pniedzwiecki
06-13-2010, 09:00 PM
Finally made some progress.

http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae86/pansphotos/Aquaponics%20Setup/FishTank6-12-2010.jpg

The photo above was taken one day after I added 30 pounds (2 fifteen pound bags) of crushed coral. The water is still somewhat cloudy but I anticipate that it will clear in a few more days.

I couldn’t find any 40 pound bags at any local pet shops but they did carry smaller bags. The stores only carried one bag so I had to visit a couple of stores, which I have been doing a lot of anyway.

No change in the ph level after adding the crushed coral. It has been holding steady at around 7 (before and after adding the coral). I seem to recall a few aquarium owners reporting spikes in ph after adding crushed coral but I am definitely not seeing that.

The photos below show the grow bed with 100 - 3” diameter net pots filled with hydroton. I cut the foam into 2’ pieces so they would be easier to handle. On three of the foam pieces the pots are approximately 8” apart. On the foam piece along the wall I decided to put the pots closer together. I was thinking that since it is somewhat hard to reach this area, I will use it for kind of a nursery. I can also space the plants out and just leave a few of the pots empty, if I need the space for adult plants. I see now that I should not have put the grow bed up against the wall, as it is hard to reach some of the net pots. At least a couple of feet in between would have been nice. Oh well.

http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae86/pansphotos/Aquaponics%20Setup/1GrowBed6-12-2010.jpg

http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae86/pansphotos/Aquaponics%20Setup/2GrowBed6-12-2010.jpg

Yesterday I planted seeds in all of the net pots on one of the foam pieces (the one nearest in the photo above). All of the seeds from one variety (Black Seeded Simpson) have sprouted already (24 hours). However, none of the seeds from the blended salad mix seed pack have sprouted yet. I planted one seed of the Black Seeded Simpson in half of the net pots and two seeds from the salad mix into the other half of the pots.

I found a local source (maybe 1 hour round trip) for yellow perch. Right now they are 95 cents each for 4-6 inch feed trained fingerlings. They said they would sell me as many or as few as I wanted. As this is the first year they are stocking the perch, I may have to find another source in the future.

Hopefully by this weekend, at the latest, I will be able to get some fish. I was thinking I would start with 25. In the meantime, I need to figure out a good way to transport the fish, and then the best way to go about introducing the fish into the tank.

That’s all for now.

Thanks.

davidstcldfl
06-14-2010, 02:44 AM
Hi pniedzwiecki .... :) ....looking good.

What's the wattage on your big light ?

pniedzwiecki
06-14-2010, 11:07 AM
davidstcldfl,

Thanks for the comments.

I actually have two lights and they are both 1000w. I am a little concerned that with the high grow bed the lights may be radiating too much heat onto the foam.

With the fan on, the temperature under the light in front of the fan is pretty steady between 78-82 degrees (F). If I turn the fan off the temperature shoots up over 100 degrees (F). Of course the high temps are partly due to warmer summer air in the basement. In the winter I probably will not have anything to worry about.

I have a pretty powerful inline fan and plenty of ductwork that would most likely help cool the lights but I think I may just try to put up some shade cloth up for the short term. The proper long term solution would be to use the ducting and fan and expell the hot air from the lights directly outside.

I obviously under estimated the powerful lights. Mistakes are OK as long as we learn from them. Hopefully by the second or third batch of fish, I will have all the bugs worked out.

Thanks.

pniedzwiecki
06-14-2010, 08:43 PM
Hello,

Just thought I would share some screen shots of the 3d grow bed model I drew up. The model was created in AutoCAD and then imported into the free version of Google Sketchup. There should be a way that I can share the sketchup file but at this point I do not know how. If anyone is interested in getting a copy of the file, just let me know and I will figure out the best way to go about sharing it.

Thanks,

http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae86/pansphotos/Aquaponics%20Setup/growbed3dmodelabove.jpg

http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae86/pansphotos/Aquaponics%20Setup/growbed3dmodelside.jpg

http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae86/pansphotos/Aquaponics%20Setup/growbed3dmodelunderneath.jpg

http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae86/pansphotos/Aquaponics%20Setup/growbed3dmodelbackside.jpg

jackalope
06-14-2010, 09:46 PM
For transporting the fish, use heat packs taped onto the top of a large cooler ;) for air, go to a sporting goods store and pick up a battery-operated 'bait pump' that fishermen use for live bait (cheap ones are about $15, and they go all the way up to about $60 around here) and put an airstone on the end of the tube. The airstone will help a lot, even though it is said by some that they do no good at all! If you don't have a cooler, just go to PetSmart, Petco or some other pet store, and ask them for a couple of their styrofoam-lined shipping boxes .... you'll have to have plastic bags to line the styrofoam liners, but heavy duty garbage bags will usually do if they are doubled or tripled.

pniedzwiecki
06-27-2010, 02:54 PM
We have fish!!

Yesterday I purchased 12 (4” – 6”) feed trained yellow perch fingerlings.

I am going to hold them in a 10 gallon aquarium for a couple of days before I put them into the large tank. If everything goes well, I will go back and get 15 – 20 more in a week or two.

The system still has not cycled even with elevated ammonia levels. I was able to get the ammonia level down considerably by doing a 75% (or more) water change. I am still not sure where the ammonia came from, but until the system cycles, I will resort to water changes to control it.

Before the major water change the ammonia levels were very high (8 plus). After the water change, it appears to be holding at about 1. I have been testing with both the liquid and test strips and both are giving the same results.

I brought the fish home in large oxygen bags (provided by the seller) inside of two 5 gallon buckets that I brought with me (6 fish in each bucket). Since the fish are cold water fish, and the outdoor temps are warmer, no heat was necessary. Also, since the drive home was only 20 minutes, and the fish were in oxygen bags, I did not provide any aeration.

The seller provided me with a small (one month supply) of premium fish food (I already forgot the brand name). For the most part they seem to like it, however, some of the fish are quite small and the fish food swells up to a size they cannot swallow. They suck it into their mouths and then spit it out again, sometimes repeatedly. I am going to try to break it up some and see how they handle it.

I am thinking about trying to raise minnows to feed to the perch. Maybe some worms as well. One step at a time though.

The lettuce that I planted a week ago is doing alright so far. It appears that the different varieties that I have grow at different rates. The all green variety is growing much faster than the mixed variety. The larger plants appear to have some yellowing in the older leaves and the overall plants seem to be a bit pale. Hopefully they will hold on long enough for the tank to cycle. I will post some updated lettuce pics as soon as I get a chance to take some photos.

In the meantime, here are some pics and a video of the fish:

http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae86/pansphotos/Aquaponics%20Setup/Picture2710.jpg

http://i960.photobucket.com/albums/ae86/pansphotos/Aquaponics%20Setup/Picture2721.jpg

[video:28nrnlsh]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsPErbIXspg[/video:28nrnlsh]

davidstcldfl
06-27-2010, 03:49 PM
It's always exciting to get that first batch of fish.... :mrgreen:

pniedzwiecki
06-27-2010, 08:25 PM
Another video showing a quick overview of the system as it currently exists.

[video:55peimlj]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tswSCpJpt30[/video:55peimlj]

pniedzwiecki
06-29-2010, 09:37 PM
We lost 6 fish today. I am pretty sure it is because I started with too many fish in an un cycled system. I wish I would have waited. I am going to have to keep my patience in check from here on out. Definitely not going to add any more fish until the system has cycled. Not sure why, but the filter gunk I got from a coworker who has an established aquarium seemed to have no effect. I think I will try to find another, better source to try to help the process along.

Of the 12 original fish, only 8 would eat. I fed them crushed up dry fish food and chopped up earth worms (starting the second day after I brought them home) and they went after each seemingly the same way. If the pieces weren’t too big, they would eat them with no problem. It seemed like the other 4 didn’t even try to eat. Maybe they were just too stressed out.

Of the remaining 6 fish, two are in isolation in the 10 gallon tank and not looking too good. At the moment the best I can do for them is to change the water out in the morning and again in the evening to keep the ammonia levels down. Prior to today I was only changing the water once a day. I moved the other 4 fish into the 100 gallon tank. They seem to be much calmer now than when they were in the 10 gallon tank. Of the 4 in the bigger tank, one has two fairly large white spots on one side. Other than that they seem OK. Time will tell. Hopefully they will hold on long enough for the system to cycle. I will give them a day or two to adjust to the new surroundings before I start feeding them again.

Adding that many fish into a 10 gallon system that was not yet cycled was a mistake. I probably should not have added any fish at all.

Not knowing that Yellow Perch do not take well to dry foods was another mistake. I swear I read somewhere that they would eat it. The guy at the fish farm definitely told me it should not be a problem.

Needless to say, I am very disappointed in myself right now.

This is tougher than I thought it would be. Although I do realize that once the system is in balance it will be a lot easier to manage. Just have to see it through.

I do have some photos of the dead fish if anybody is interested in trying to identify what may have been the cause of death. They do have some discoloration and sores on them. Anyway, just let me know if you want to have a look at them.

Thanks.

wolfracer
06-30-2010, 05:29 AM
I ran into a few disappointments myself getting started. Move in small steps, if you read thru my thread you can see where I was having issues with losing fish and cycling the system. it just takes time. Keep at it you'll get there.

badflash
06-30-2010, 07:25 AM
Where did you get the water from and how was it contitioned before you added the fish. The fish died too quickly for this to be an ammonia spike from non-cycling. You'd need a lot more bio-mass to kill them that quickly. Sounds to me like something in the water.

pniedzwiecki
06-30-2010, 10:11 AM
I ran into a few disappointments myself getting started. Move in small steps, if you read thru my thread you can see where I was having issues with losing fish and cycling the system. it just takes time. Keep at it you'll get there.

Thanks for the encouragement sir.

Where did you get the water from and how was it contitioned before you added the fish. The fish died too quickly for this to be an ammonia spike from non-cycling. You'd need a lot more bio-mass to kill them that quickly. Sounds to me like something in the water.

You may be right.

The water source is well water through an inline ice maker type of sealed canister filter. I don't know why but I thought the filter was a form of reverse osmosis (RO) but maybe not.

Actually there was the water from the fish farm pond that the fish came in. That water is what I started with when I added them all to the 10 gallon tank. Also the filter gunk mentioned in a previous post turned out to be from a tank with goldfish. Maybe some diseasses were in the water.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I'll maybe have to see about getting a good water test, maybe at a local university biology lab or something. I'll have to do some checking on that.

I guess I will give it some more time and see how the remaining fish handle things. Otherwise maybe a complete drain and clean and refill is in order.

Thanks again.

stucco
06-30-2010, 10:52 AM
When i had to use well water for my fish tank I used novaqua conditioner. It removes the metals in the well water. Not sure if food safe though. Good luck! I know the feeling.

badflash
06-30-2010, 11:43 AM
Amquel+ or Seachem Prime are also good water conditioners. The filter you describe is just a particulate filter.

How many fish per gallon are you talking?

pniedzwiecki
06-30-2010, 01:19 PM
When I brought the fish home, I placed all 12 YP in the 10 gallon aquarium with the water they came in. Also in the tank two 6" air stones and the Fluval 405 (I think) filter shown in prior posts. After that I was doing 75% water changes at first. For the first few days the ammonia actually wasn't that bad (maybe 1 or 2 at the most). One day it made it as high as 3 or so (I think yesterday) and so I started changing the water out until the ammonia came back down.

I was using the 10 gallon tank as a temporary holding place so that I could observe the fish easier for a few days. Ultimately though, I would like to have about 30 - 50 fish in the 100 gal tank once everything is cycled.

There were two of the larger fish that had sores all around their bottom jaw. I do recall seeing one of those fish acting very agressive whenever it came near the sides of the clear class aquarium. It would bump into the sides of the tank from time to time as if it were fighting with its reflection or shadow. And since the other fish had similar sores I am assuming they are caused by the same behavior. I think it may be possible that two of the dead fish may have had self induced injuries (from stress).

Anyway, maybe I should either get an RO system or buy good water for this first batch of fish and lettuce. I think it may be priced fairly reasonable if we have the water delivered in bulk via tanker.

Thanks for the info guys.

badflash
06-30-2010, 02:38 PM
I would advise against an RO filter. They are very slow and they take out all the good minerals. I use a Kold Sterile filter. Passes 4 GPM and is good for about 15,000 gallons before you need to change the filter elements.

If you have well water, you probably don't need it. I didn't realize these guys were in a 10 gallon tank. The ammonia can spike quickly in such a small volume.

I would set up the 100 gallon system and put the fish directly in that system and seed it with more aquarium gook. The large water volume will bugger the ammonia/nitrite buildup and give the bacteria time to grow. Start with maybe 20 fish and once the tank is stable in 3-4 weeks, you can add more fish.

Riverside
06-30-2010, 03:43 PM
One problem I've read about is “gas supersaturation” when using well water. A SRAC article discusses it:

http://aquanic.org/publicat/usda_rac/efs/srac/191fs.pdf

badflash
06-30-2010, 05:26 PM
I'd forgotten this trick until tonight when I was setting up a tank for my red eared slider (RES) turtles.

Set up your tank, borrow a couple or three adult RES's and feed them for a week or so. Measure your ammonia levels until they go to 0. Get your fish and return the turtles. Easiest way to cycle a tank. Turtles don't care about ammonia and they give the bacteria a hell of a bio-load. Just don't have turtles and fish in the same tank!

Ironfish
07-03-2010, 01:09 PM
Hi pniedzwiecki,

Welcome!
I agree with draining the system and adding new water. I would buy another ammonia test from the pet store. I would then add regular ammonia about 1/4 cup. Since it is an indoor system, I would get the starter from your buddy and add it into the system. It will show spiking in a couple weeks or sooner. When the ammonia drops add a little more. This will get the system ready for your fish.
Once the fish are added it will still bounce around for a couple weeks.
A little trick I learned with the first few ammonia spikes. Go to the grocery store and get a bunch of watercress. They can be cut. Make a float tray and put the watercress in. They will start rooting in a couple days. They pull ammonia straight out of the water. And, the grow like crazy! When the spiking stops you can remove them if you want, or leave a small bunch as part of your crop.
That's my 2 cents.

Ironfish

Ironfish
07-03-2010, 01:13 PM
I can see I was lat on that one! That will teach me to read the dates!

Ironfish

badflash
07-03-2010, 01:21 PM
That's OK, never heard the watercress trick before. Sounds like fun!

pniedzwiecki
08-02-2010, 06:04 PM
Hello,

Finally getting around to posting some updates. As of approximately one week ago today, we are half way through the fish tank cycle process.

Let me explain:

After my last post I did a 80%-90% water change. I decided to try the well water again. If our well water is not good enough quality to raise perch in then I am not sure that aquaponics is for me at this time. Anyway, after the water change, I got busy with other things and just did not have time to mess with the system. I kept the air, pump and filter in place and just let it all run.

I was able to harvest some lettuce off the system on just plain water. It wasn’t premium quality but at least I got something out of it.

A few weeks ago I purchased a 600 gph pump and a 1000 gallon sealed canister pond filter. I took as much of the filter media out of the previous filter and added it to the new one. The new setup ran for about a week before I finally got around to getting some ammonia. I settled on the Ace Hardware “Janitorial Strength Ammonia”. The label says its 10% ammonia and "No phosphates". A Google search should turn up more info for anyone interested. Anyway, I added enough to bring the ammonia level up to around 3 (approximately 8-10 ml). The next day I went to check the ammonia level and it was at or near 0. Needless to say that was unexpected. So I went ahead and checked the nitrite level and sure enough, it was almost off the chart.

I guess there must have been some source of ammonia in the system during that week or two following the water change that allowed a small group of bacteria to survive. Once I brought the ammonia level up, they took off. I have been adding about 12-16 ml of ammonia every day since, to keep the cycle going, and so far it is all being removed within a 24 hour period. At this point, my tests indicate little or no nitrates in the system. Hopefully the second phase will take off soon.

While we are waiting for the next phase to get started I dropped in some spinach seeds and some lettuce seeds. After a couple of days a few of the spinach seeds have sprouted. We also have some cuttings from some flowers (Geraniums I think) that seem to be doing just fine after three or four days. No sign of roots on the flower cuttings yet but we do have some signs of new growth branching out.

Anyway, that’s all for now. Once again, thanks to everyone that has taken the time to post helpful comments for me and others as well. I will post a few pics as soon as I can.

Thanks,

davidstcldfl
08-03-2010, 04:19 AM
Glad to hear your making some progress pniedzwiecki ..... :D

Looking forward to some pictures of your set up.
This would be a great time to start a post in "Backyard Systems"....Your 'hello' , is now up to 4 pages..... :lol: :D

Oldandfound1
08-03-2010, 10:42 AM
I too had an interest in raising Yellow Perch as they are locally Accessable. However thay take several years to get up to any size. On the other hand, those "accessable" are from nearby lakes and already have some size. If you thought of them only as the amonia source and . The down side is that they may carry a disease harmful to other species you may later install.
Good luck with your system.
Dennis
Oldandfound1

pniedzwiecki
08-26-2010, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone.

For anyone interested I will be posting future updates (pics and vids) here: Basement Aquaponics (http://www.diyaquaponics.com/forum/showthread.php?494-Basement-Aquaponics)

Redfox007
08-29-2010, 08:32 PM
8-) I am totally alien to all this stuff, and was just wanting to get info on it. when I signed up, I saw some of the stuff talked about, and was curious.

First thing I was curious about was how to go about posting? Is this the method, just click on a spot that sounds good and write? Or is there another particular way? does anyone chat with one another on IM?

I live in Montana, and was wondering if it were possible, (without much expense, ) to set these systems up here, as it does freeze in the winter. I saw "Greenhouse" spoken of, and wondered if that were a way?

davidstcldfl
08-30-2010, 06:00 AM
Hi Redfox007....Welcome to the forum... :D

First thing I was curious about was how to go about posting? Is this the method, just click on a spot that sounds good and write? Or is there another particular way?
Go to A PLACE TO SAY HELLO, then click on new topic. This will open a new topic 'just for you'. That way everyone will see it...by posting into someone elses, you may be overlooked. Then you can ask whatever questions you may have.
Once you start building (and you will ... :lol: ) then you start a topic in BACKYARD SYSTEMS