PDA

View Full Version : COCO FIBER

swamp creek farms
05-18-2010, 07:37 AM
A friend works at a nursery nearby. He gave me two square ft bricks of coconut fiber. Beat-Peat is the brand name I think.

Just wondering whats the best thing to do with this stuff. :roll:

I was thinking of making a wicking bed and this stuff would probably do well. Stucco is inspirational.

badflash
05-18-2010, 08:40 AM
I use it for worm beds, so it should work.

swamp creek farms
05-18-2010, 10:52 AM
If I added it to my NFT system, would it eventually get into my system and clog my pump or my pipes? I see where people use it for hydroponics, but I think it would leak out of the cups and flow with the water.

badflash
05-18-2010, 12:49 PM
I think it would gum up the works.

urbanrunoff
05-18-2010, 01:06 PM
i use coco fiber with my netpots. Works great since it wicks and retains the moisture for young plants that dont have a solid rootsystem.
For plants that like it dryer i mix it with perlite and rocks.
I line the net pots with tulle fabric, as a screen/filter to avoid getting the stuff in the water.
I really like it and it seems very fungus/algae resistant also, it is slightly acidic which might help my pH.

urbanrunoff
05-18-2010, 01:10 PM
forgot to mention
I use it as a seed starter too. egg carton filled with coco fiber. Comes off very easy when trying to clean the roots and plant em in rocks.
Cloning worked great too.

no i'm not a distributer of coco fiber :lol:
but i really like that stuff..smells good too and is supposed to be eco friendly

badflash
05-18-2010, 01:16 PM
It is just crushed up coconut husks. Great use rather than burning it.

rfeiller
07-22-2010, 11:20 PM
the large nurseries that grow out roses, and several other flowering plants for the florist industry in Watsonville, CA use core and perlite exclusively for their very sophsisticated hydroponic systems. they change it every 6-7 yrs. one of the nurseries cuts 25,000 to 50,000 rose buds per day. the pumps come on 15 times per day. the core they use is very fine not the chunks or long fibres. i was really surpised by that. i have used the long fibre in bonsai and chunks in orchids.