PDA

View Full Version : Sump Tank Q

swamp creek farms
05-13-2010, 12:43 PM
I do not use a sump tank with the system I have. What is the general purpose and how important is it? Is it critical to have? Hoping for a drawing or a good explanation of it's purpose.

badflash
05-13-2010, 02:05 PM
Not essential, but it has lots of advantages. It allows for a constant fish tank level and a make-up volume for the system. It also is a good place for waste to collect so it is easily removed. It is just a low point in the system. Many people combine the fish tank and the sump, but having a sump allows you to have the fish tank at a higher level so you can work it without bending over.

dufflight
05-13-2010, 03:23 PM
Your pump is also in cleaner water so less cleaning and a more constant flow.

JCO
05-14-2010, 06:08 AM
Check out the sump at this link :mrgreen:

http://diyaquaponics.com/aqua_plans.php

swamp creek farms
05-14-2010, 06:10 AM
So is this bio-filter I made not doing the trick? I have my pump in the FT, going to the filter, then to the NFT and GB.

Does every one had algae in their NFT system like I do ?

swamp creek farms
05-14-2010, 06:17 AM
I'm guessing on that sump in the picture, there would be a valve that opens at the bottom to drain the sump ever so often.

What I am thinking is that the bio-filter would do almost the same thing, being cleaned out every now and then. The water has cleared up pretty good since I have added it.

I was in a fish store yesterday and asked to see their sump, and WOW.. IT was a salt water sump, doing work ! But it looked too expensive for what I have. I'm more of the DIY guy. - ask the wife -