PDA

View Full Version : The Bigger Picture

swamp creek farms
05-13-2010, 08:02 AM
Yes, I am a newbie, with grand ideas.

I live in south Georgia on an old farm which was planted in pine trees about 20 years ago. I have about 175 - 200 acres to play on. Farming is huge in this area. Organic, not so much, but there are a few places an hour from here to sell organic vegetables. I have been reading up on AP systems and want to build a nice size system in a greenhouse. I'm thinking 1000 gallon FT, running it through PVC instead of GB. Any ideas on which way would be the best?

My goal is to have enough plants to rotate and sell about 200 plants per week. Or more if possible. I've been researching through the agriculture department on how to get certified for organic veggies, and grants they have for first time farmers. But I guess the best thing to do is build one and run it for a few years, then try to go big. There is no one around here that I am aware of that has a commercial AP system to take a tour of and ask questions. This is something that I would love to do, and have plenty of space for it.

Any ideas on how to accomplish this pipe dream?

jackalope
05-13-2010, 08:28 AM
First of all, Welcome to the forum :!:

I looked into using the USDA 'organic' label and what I found is that there is a huge amount of paperwork involved, licenses, permits, inspections (you have to pay extra for them), and that at any time, the inspectors can demand to perform surprise inspections of your premises (which would cost you more money, and put more into their pockets). If I was to find that using the word 'organic' was illegal without having their permission to do so, I would just use 'naturally raised' or some other such term to avoid all of the permits/licenses/inspections! To spend all that money, keep all those records, put up with all those inspections, and pay for licenses, inspections, and permits would be too cost prohibitive just to sell a few fish/veggies at the farmer's market!

swamp creek farms
05-13-2010, 11:18 AM
Right... What I was reading is that alot of people say they are 90%, or made from organic products. Probably to keep from that exact thing. Just call it something close to what it really is.
To just build one that big and DIY, there has got to be some inspection from USDA somewhere. I know there is more to it than just growing and selling. They have to get their money every possible way they can think of. Since there is no one in Georgia doing this as of now (or keeping secret) maybe it would be easier to start.

REEFBUG
05-13-2010, 11:29 AM
WOW, 175+ acres to play on.... I can only dream.

Another possible problem with being the first down there regarding USDA inspections is going to be educating the inspector on exactly what you are doing! Hopefully you will get someone with dirt under their nails that has at least heard of AP. Not some paper pusher sent out to generate revenue that freaks out when they see you are growing plants with DIRTY FISH WATER!!! OMG the humanity!!

urbanrunoff
05-13-2010, 07:16 PM
do it!.
organic farmed fish will be huge soon places like trader joes have promised sustainable fish by 2014, wallmart, target, costco are all working on it.

about pvc. i am very happy with my selfmade pvc NFT's and find them easier to manage then GB's. tomatoes seem to be doing fine, salads do great, beans are going crazy
we will see how the melons will do.

JCO
05-14-2010, 05:31 AM
Want to see what we as Americans who choose to feed ourselves and possibly make a little money along the way are possibly going to be coming up against. Check out this URL...it's important to us all. :mrgreen:

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=153133

swamp creek farms
05-14-2010, 06:06 AM
What a bunch of crap that is. I'd like to see what would happen down here in the south where farming is the only thing this economy has. That would make something else for us (USA) to produce and sell illegally. :twisted:

JCO
05-14-2010, 07:18 AM
We've already had one Civil War over the Government trying to tell us what to do with our cotton; who we could sell to and couldn't and were required to sell to....just like the Wild Wood Weed 8-) , they can tax it if they can't control it and that's what they are after....Control of everything in our lives... :evil: :mrgreen:

JCO
05-14-2010, 07:19 AM
By the way, that pipe sure does put a smile on your face...(in your Avatar) :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

swamp creek farms
05-14-2010, 08:00 AM
well.. there is a time and a place for everything. :lol:

swamp creek farms
05-14-2010, 08:11 AM
I did find a grant for sustainable agriculture for up to 15,000 US$. The fool proof plan is what I have to put together. I think it could be done with less that 15. Being that I have the tractor, the land, and some of the material to work with. And I do not like to buy things, more into recycling and DIY.

One of our projects is running the county recycling where I live, so a lot of materials come and go through here. Which we do not have to pay for, we have it set up that people pay us to come get it. Both city and county.

This AP system beats the hell out of plowing, rowing, planting, hoeing, fertilizing, and watering a garden all year long. I've been planting an acre garden for years. Now my back can relax. :P

Doc
06-12-2010, 08:18 PM
I did find a grant for sustainable agriculture for up to 15,000 US$. The fool proof plan is what I have to put together. I think it could be done with less that 15. Being that I have the tractor, the land, and some of the material to work with. And I do not like to buy things, more into recycling and DIY.

Hey SCF, would you mind supplying a link to the grant for sustainable agriculture?

This AP system beats the hell out of plowing, rowing, planting, hoeing, fertilizing, and watering a garden all year long. I've been planting an acre garden for years. Now my back can relax. :P

Amen.

Doc

~