PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Decatur, GA

Bevansuits
05-11-2010, 07:44 AM
Thanks for the opportunity to share my work!

Here are the stats for this system:
75 gallon fish tank.
12 3" goldfish.
6 half barrel grow beds.
Pea gravel medium.
Ebb & flow, 15 minutes on, 15 off first 3 weeks. Now 15 on, 30 off.
4 hours full sun, 3 hours partial sun daily.
Worm castings added one time, about 1/2 cup per plant

Observations;
Overall, it's been a slow start, except for tomatoes. Most plants healthy, some died early on. I think the bacterial culture is just now extending through the whole system. I started with a few gallons of pre-cultured pea gravel and some pond water. Okra has done poorly, alive but not thriving. Some oak leaf lettuce withered away. Collards starting to take off, but not all of them! The romaine seems to be doing okay, but not growing fast. Eggplant is like the okra. Sweet potatoes seem healthy, not growing fast. Basil growing okay, not like tomatoes. Thai basil getting fuller, not growing fast.

Travis Hughey said to cut back on the water, to allow the plants to stress a bit, so now that roots are established, I am cutting back on the water timing and wondering if certain plants can get waterlogged. Also, the lack of sun I'm sure is a factor and will likely prevent a lot of fruiting to happen. So we'll see how it goes with warmer temperatures.

My wife is ready to cut some down a tree or two!

GreenPhoenix
05-11-2010, 07:49 AM
Looks like great growth there.... I am new here too, but great people and amazing information that I have seen so far...

Welcome and lets all learn together!

Phoenix

JCO
05-11-2010, 11:15 AM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers :mrgreen:

Bevansuits
05-11-2010, 11:20 AM
Thanks! If anyone cares to comment on my system's performance, I would appreciate it.

dufflight
05-11-2010, 05:20 PM
Watch out with pea gravel and other fine media. They tend to clog over time. Compost worms added to the media will help process the solids.

Bevansuits
05-11-2010, 05:34 PM
Thanks, Dufflight......... I was thinking about that. It's not a complete system without worms. Don't you think?

Bevansuits
05-11-2010, 05:43 PM
I wanted to say also that this gets to be enjoyable, once things start to get balanced out. There is definitely an artistic, intuitive aspect of aquaponics. If the fish are happy and the plants look good, that's the best indicator of balance. In my case I have to figure out how to strengthen those weaker plants. Which is why I planted to such a big variety.

You can only some of the vegetables in the photos. I have tomatoes, collards, basil, thai basil, cilantro, eggplant, beans, okra, romaine lettuce, sweet potato, green melon.

stucco
05-11-2010, 07:03 PM
Your system will get better with age. My okra two years ago started out very slow, but eventually clogged the system after adding worms and maxicrop with iron.

Bevansuits
05-12-2010, 06:01 AM
That's encouraging! I really wanted some fresh okra, it's nothing like store-bought.

swamp creek farms
05-12-2010, 07:27 AM
Hey, down here in southwest Georgia, wondering if any others are in the state with bigger systems? Know of any commercial nurseries around us ?

Bevansuits
05-12-2010, 07:36 AM
Georgia? Not that I know of. Last Thursday I made a presentation at Ft Valley State aquaponics workshop, they have an aquaculture program with a side interest in aquaponics. About 40 people came from all over the southeast, for the most part new to the concept, but otherwise serious about pursuing it on a homestead scale. No one made any mention of larger systems in GA. Nothing to approach Morningstar Fishermen or Travis Hughey.

The workshop could have been much better, but it showed the interest level, those who would drive a few hours on a weekday. You know the passion when you first heard of aquaponics? Made some good contacts.

jackalope
05-12-2010, 08:34 PM
Welcome to the forum Bevansuits, glad to have you aboard :!:

Bevansuits
05-13-2010, 05:14 AM
Thanks Jackalope. Where are you and how's your aquaponics system going?

swamp creek farms
05-13-2010, 12:21 PM
How big is the system there? I'm about three hours south from there, I would like to come check it out sometime. Maybe the next time you have a presentation.

Bevansuits
05-13-2010, 01:20 PM
The system at Ft Valley you mean? It's way too small to drive more than two miles for. I am thinking of hosting the next one at my place in Decatur.

jackalope
05-13-2010, 05:23 PM
Thanks Jackalope. Where are you and how's your aquaponics system going?

I'm in Montana, and my AP was shut down for the Winter .... we had snow on and off all last week, and in a couple of weeks we'll be going to Tennessee to help my son get his place ready to move in to ..... not enough time to grow anything this year, becuz it starts freezing in September around here :( :(. I'm hoping to sell the place and move to Tennessee .... my son bought 20 acres there and wants us to move there so he can take care of us as we get older ..... did I mention that I hate Social (in)Security?

I'm going to sell all of my Mossies before we go so we don't have to worry about having someone take care of them ..... They're 3" to 6", so I'll have to sell locally ..... I might just sell the pool, heater, filters and all ..... that way I can call it a 'turnkey' system ;)

Bevansuits
05-13-2010, 06:16 PM
Tennessee can be gorgeous, especially in the mountains.