PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Dallas, TX

GreenPhoenix
05-06-2010, 06:47 AM
Hello all, I am a teacher in North Texas located just outside of Dallas proper. I have a background in aquaculture, though that was with marine species... I have recently become interested in the methods of aquaponics and I am looking into these systems both to use in my classroom, and also on a semi-commercial scale in my backyard.

I would love to meet anyone else in this area that has any knowledge of AP. So if you are anywhere near Dallas, please let me know.

The system I am currently designing is going to be about 1500 gallons total and will most likely house tilapia and several species of vegetative and fruiting plants... Not sure yet, we are still designing it.

Green Phoenix

jackalope
05-06-2010, 03:59 PM
Welcome to the forum GreenPhoenix, glad to have you aboard!!

REEFBUG
05-06-2010, 04:57 PM
Welcome!!! Enjoy the stay!

dufflight
05-06-2010, 05:27 PM
Post you designs and any pictures. A few more eyes in the design stage can help a lot in the long run.

JCO
05-07-2010, 04:50 AM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers :mrgreen:

jackalope
05-07-2010, 10:09 AM
I would love to meet anyone else in this area that has any knowledge of AP. So if you are anywhere near Dallas, please let me know.

The system I am currently designing is going to be about 1500 gallons total and will most likely house tilapia and several species of vegetative and fruiting plants... Not sure yet, we are still designing it.

We don't have anyone from Dallas, AFAIK, but we're all willing to help here ;) My FTs will total about 750 gallons when I'm done, but that will be another bunch of bucks before it will be done ..... I have to do things on a very limited budget, so it goes slow :lol: :lol: Once I figure that the room will stay warm enough to support vegetation, I plan to set up a riverbed system, with biofiltration and sump(s) to handle the FT load. We're all looking forward to your input and your queries ;)

GreenPhoenix
05-07-2010, 11:01 AM
Well I have to say that I am very enthused by the warm welcome from ya'll! This is going to be a heuge resource for me...

I must admit that right now, I am burning my candle at both ends AND the middle! End of year duties for a teacher are insane, expecially when all of this is combined with designing a new course and a new community outreach project. Not to mention I am also designing a business plan for my small scale commercial AP system and about ten other minor projects that I have rattling around in my head.... (At least I am never bored....)

In a nutshell, these are the two things that I am looking into right now: (equal priority levels)

1. Personal System - small scale commercial system (~1000-1500 gal volume). Raising tilapia and vegetables/herbs. I have the basic design done, I just need to fine tune my blueprint and that is ready to build. My problem at this point is that I need to find an investor to help me get the initial costs covered... I only need about $5k, but hey, I am a single-parent teacher!

2. School/Community Program - working with my school, the Nat. Hist. museum, and a local foundation to design a program to teach my students and the local public how to do AP. Then actually being able to take the food (fish/plants) and donate them to a locale food bank or kitchen. Once again I have the basics of the design covered, I just need to get some details such as funding and space (location) sorted out and then I will have a free hand to run with this....

But I promise that as soon as I have a few free moments, I will be posting all over this board and pick all of your brains for knowledge!

Phoenix

badflash
05-07-2010, 11:51 AM
Unless you plan to buy everything, including a greenhouse, it isn't goint to cost 5K. Using small swimming pools and plastic barrels you can do what you want for around 2K and that includes a small greenhouse.

Look at the projects on the site. No reason to re-invent the wheel.

GreenPhoenix
05-07-2010, 12:16 PM
I am not planning to re-invent the wheel, I have also budgeted into that amount that I should need to cover my electricity, water, propane (heaters) and also the fact that I am going to be working less at my other job..... That $5k amount includes all initial construction (which your right is going to come out at just about $2200) AND associated expenses for the first year of operation.

Phoenix

stucco
05-07-2010, 01:01 PM
Welcome aboard greenphoenix! Check out the growing power folks, specifically how they rent/borrow roof top space inexpensively. If you are going to be giving vittles to the community maybe the community could give you some wasted rooftop space. :mrgreen:

dufflight
05-07-2010, 03:17 PM
Floating raft and DWC seem to be the best way of growing lettuce and other smaller plants. I'd be incline to have gravel gb's to handle the bio and solids and have water return via a raft tub thats at the same height as the sump. Or have the rafts running from a filtered pump in the sump. Larger plants can go in the gravel, tomatoes and corn etc.

badflash
05-07-2010, 05:55 PM
I have to agree. Growbeds with worms use the solids effectively. Their outflow of clean water can be used for rafts. Many plants can't handle having their roots under water full time and need the flood & drain system. The two compliment each other.

GreenPhoenix
05-09-2010, 02:22 PM
Alright, I have just completed some basic modifications to the little barrelponic unit that I have at my school. I am using this to get my students interested and also to show my admins that this is a great idea for our school... So far, that aspect is going pretty good - my dept chair is taking a proposal to the head of school about actually starting a foundation similar to Growing Power up in WI!

But anyway, about my system -- it is a basic Barrelponic system, except I have a Rubbermaid tote as the FT. Yesterday and today though I reworked one of the GBs to include a bell siphon. Tested it today - and it works great. Now that I know the design, I am going to work with my students this week and complete the siphon for the other grow-bed, and also add a framework to the sides so we can install our grow-lights and even some climbing trellis for cukes and other climbers...

I will take some pics tomorrow and the next day of my kids and I working on it and post them up for everyone to see and comment on. For now, I am just happy to have my bell siphon working! "Practical Engineering" 101 -- a.k.a. MacGyver-isms ---> gotta lot it!

Phoenix

stucco
05-11-2010, 07:18 PM
WARNING! Do not stare at bell siphon it will hypnotize you. :) That thing had a hold of me for weeks.

REEFBUG
05-12-2010, 10:42 AM
LOL Stucco, can you look indirectly at them? Like an eclipse? :lol:

davidstcldfl
05-12-2010, 11:50 AM
WARNING! Do not stare at bell siphon it will hypnotize you. That thing had a hold of me for weeks.

LOL Stucco, can you look indirectly at them? Like an eclipse?

Or.....Wake up in the middle of the night and wonder...."Is it still working ?".... :lol: :lol: :lol: You know your going to go look !

GreenPhoenix
05-12-2010, 12:12 PM
I gotta admit.... I might have checked the first one a few more times than strictly necessary after I installed the first siphon.....

oh well.... now I need to find someone to donate some more materials so we can build our bigger system at school!

Phoenix

Doc
06-09-2010, 08:02 AM
Hey GreenPhoenix,

I am new here as of today and I am in the Dallas, TX area. I work in Dallas and live in Frisco. I would be interested in chatting with you more about your ideas. I too am interested in a "Growing Power" idea here in this area. Please send me a PM.

Doc