PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin D-3

badflash
04-22-2010, 08:00 PM
Last fall my wife & I started taking vitamin D-3 because we'd read it would build immunity to the flu. That appears to be true because even though my 15 year old son came down with it, neither myself or my wife got it. That was at the 1000 unit dose level.

Interestingly enough, my wife has seasonal mood issues in the winter as long as I've known her. Didn't happen this winter. Hmmm.

Then I listened to a program on the radio about the health benefits of Vitamin D-3 and it said that you should get a minimum of 5000 units a day. I boosted my dose up to 6000 units. 3 caps in the AM and 3 in the PM. This was at the beginning of March.

On March 5th the plant I work at went into a 1 month shutdown. We worked 13 hour days 6 days a week until April 14. Not only did I survive that, but people 10 years younger than me commented on my energy. I ran circles around them. I felt great and was in a really good mood for the duration. Still am.

You folks down south don't need to worry, as an hour of bright sunlight on your arms & legs will give you all the D-3 you need. Us northerners, or ones like me with fair skin can't do that, so I need the capsules. I am now addicted to them, and happy about it.

If you can't get enough non-sunblocked sunlight, consider D-3 from Walmart. It will set you back about $4 a month and do more for you than just about anything else you can do.

JCO
04-23-2010, 11:57 AM
You're beginning to sound like the Everyready Bunny...be careful, you know what happens when the battery finally goes dead...well, at least I do anywany... :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

badflash
04-24-2010, 05:51 PM
Yes Ernie, that is exactly what they are for. BTW- no need to buy those special ones any more. They now sell standard daylight FL bulbs, both the long ones and compact versions. JUst the same spectrum and loads cheaper. About $2 each.

jackalope
04-24-2010, 09:05 PM
I avoid D3 because of what it's made from - dead animal hides - I'd rather get mine from the sun! I wasn't aware of the flu immunity, but my wife has long been aware of the fact that lack of vitamin D has a lot to do with depression and 'women's issues.'

I bought some of those "full spectrum' flourescent bulbs ('Sunshine') for my AP system last year - didn't make any diff to the AP .... maybe I should try to install them in the house for winter use when we have very little sun ;) BTW - $6.99 at Lowes for two 4 footers, and the fixture was only about 8 bucks too!