PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Sunny western NY

peterrankin
04-07-2010, 02:49 PM
Hello every one… My name is Peter and i have been lurking around for a while on a couple of different site. And finally settled on a home.

I live in a small village in western NY called Fredonia.. My first system is going to be in the basement. (short summer, very cold winters)

Concept:
275 gallon IBC (when cut down approx 250 gall)
210 gallon grow beds(by volume) with peas gravel as a media.
50 gallon (by volume) DWC floating raft set up for lettuce
2 X 60 gallon sumps

sumps consist of two 30 gallon Rubbermaid containers connected by plumbing fittings and sitting under each of the two gravel grow beds (60 gall under each 105 gall (by volume) grow beds
growbeds consist of 2x4 and 2x6 and 3/4 in plywood screws, glue and 10mil plastic sheeting

Two pumps will pump into fish tank (one in each 60 gall sump set up) ,,, overflow into grow beds… overflow into sumps… 15 min on 45 min off.

Completed:

Grow beds and stand built..
IBC purchased but not picked up.
Gravel delivered but not washed.

I am planning to utilize yellow perch as the fish ( local source .. able to buy in small quantities) And also plan to start the system fishless.

It should all be together in the next two weeks and at that point I will post pics, water parameters and probably tons of questions.

JCO
04-07-2010, 03:40 PM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers. When you start posting more about your progress and pics, please go to backyard systems http://diyaquaponics.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=16 and start a new thread and post away :mrgreen:

davidstcldfl
04-07-2010, 04:43 PM
Hello Peter.

It does sound like you've been lurking for awhile.... ;) .... Your off to a good start, from what you've told us.

Sure hope to see some pictures, as you get things going..... :D

badflash
04-07-2010, 05:21 PM
Sounds like a good set up, but I think the grow beds are too small. What are you planning to light the growbeds with?

If you can sketch your system, you might get a little more feedback. Folks here don't read books with no pictures!

peterrankin
04-08-2010, 04:16 AM
Sounds like a good set up, but I think the grow beds are too small. What are you planning to light the growbeds with?

If you can sketch your system, you might get a little more feedback. Folks here don't read books with no pictures!

I was try to get a ratio of 1 : 1 in the initial stages (grow bed to fish tank) Once cycled i plan on introducing fish and plants in stages. What would you consider a safe GB to FT ratio?

I have been looking at 4ft fluorescents for the lighting, i have reflective insul board tho place behind the beds to reflect more light back into them.

I will put together a sketch, and once i have the main components in place i will post pics

davidstcldfl
04-08-2010, 11:36 AM
I'm not an expert Peter, but I've seen most recommend 2 x the Gb, to FT. One of the more experienced members should confirm that.

badflash
04-08-2010, 07:08 PM
Yep, 3X1 is ideal GB to fish, but there are loads of variable you need to work out. Fish work on volume & metabolism, plants play by various rules. GB surface area is just one factor. How well the plant works with the nutrients provided is a wild card. Vining crops are different than greens, etc.

Having multiple tank work with multiple growbeds is key so you can havest fish or plant without upsetting the balance. A 1:1 ratio will handle the ammonia, but not the notrate buildup.

jackalope
04-08-2010, 10:05 PM
Yup, 2 to 1 is what most people recommend, but as badflash says, 3 to 1 might give you a better edge. If you're planning on a 1 to 1, better plan on a biofilter as well.

BTW, Welcome to the forum ...... glad to have you here :!:

peterrankin
04-09-2010, 04:01 AM
Yup, 2 to 1 is what most people recommend, but as badflash says, 3 to 1 might give you a better edge. If you're planning on a 1 to 1, better plan on a biofilter as well.

BTW, Welcome to the forum ...... glad to have you here :!:

I guess its back to the drawing boards as i try to work out how to squeeze more growing area into my limited space