PDA

View Full Version : from south africa i say hi to all.

francois
03-21-2010, 09:21 AM
from south africa i say hi to all.
this is my passion.
started +-3 years ago-still going strong-learning something new everyday.
96 sq. meter plastic tunnel.
in the dam i have between 6000 l -7000 l water
system simple and running cost min.
i have a earthworm farm witch in turn helps with the cost of fishfood.
i have introduced worms into my system (growing trays) doing well.
my system has been running for +- 2 years.
cut my teeth in my garage had fish in my garage for 1 year.

well got good carried away
lost myself
want to learn more
chow
:D

jackalope
03-21-2010, 10:09 AM
francois, Welcome to the Forums. we're glad to have you here, you can pick our brains while we are picking yours (about aquaponics) :!: Your setup sounds interesting, we'd love to see some pix of it when you have time. :lol: :lol: :lol: Welcome aboard :!: :!:

davidstcldfl
03-21-2010, 11:46 AM
Hi francois .....Welcome ...... :)

francois
03-22-2010, 04:46 AM
I started after reading an article on aquaculture in the farmers weekly a local magazine here in South Africa.
From never growing plants or fish I started.
In my garage
250 tilapia for +- 1 year
I kept the fish in 2 baby pools that each could hold +- 1000 litters water.
Had a bio filter and when my nitrates got high let the water on my grass.
Replaced water as and when water parameters got out of hand.
Learning the water chemistry side of things as going along.
Never really killing fish but believe me as learning more you realize
How much you did wrong.
Then another article on Aquaponics in the farmers weekly.
I added a grow bed and I grew tomatoes 3 m high.
From here there was no stopping.
The bug had bitten
I started doing research on line (min)
Printed some of Dr_ James Rakocy study’s on aquaculture and Aquaponics
Then designed my system as basic as possible.
dam/grow beds/duckweed sump/pump return on a level switch.
Min/water and electricity.
Gravity fed 24 hours per day.
In my grow beds I used from small (6mm-25mm)
Not removing solids with filters but daily by hand in my grow bed where the water entered into my stone’s in my tray. (I have now added plastic baskets that works well.)
My stones in the grow beds now are 25 mm (going up size for size to find what works best for the water flow and filter.)
With this I find that it is better to plant your seedling into a small plant holder of sort,
to help with the anchorage of the plants.
My grow beds were +- 1.2 meters wide and 6 meters long.
That I then changed to +- 300mm x 200mm x 6000mm.
Makes a lot easier from the management point of view.
I do everything myself and only spend min time with system.(+-2 hours per day and that will be travelling to get there included.)
My system runs like a merc no problems and min maintenance
This is a hobby that has grown into a monster that I love.
I have never had to buy fingerling again.
The system runs itself and min cost and time.
In the system i have grown peppers,tom,spinach,beans,garlic,lettic,sweetcorn, bazil and more .........
Into my grow beds I added earthworms (red wrigglers) and that is a plus for my plants and fish.
The worms do good in the system as long as there is fish waste to eat.
Vermiculture was another article in the farmers weekly that grabbed me.
I now have a small earthworm farm. I feed worms to the fish and sell to the locals. (compost bins.)
I make my own vermicasting which in turn I use as mix/spray on my plants.
Sustainable
Now
+- 3 years later I find all these Aquaponics forums on line.
What a bonus
Me being new on these forums I have learned and verified a lot of unanswered questions.
This is a path that I walked with no help +- 3 years and to be in the company of people that are trying/and doing the real thing is very good and helpful.
I will be posting photos as soon as I have worked out how

davidstcldfl
03-22-2010, 06:00 AM
Hi francois .... :)

Wow, that's a great story. Glad you shared it. I know I'm looking forward to some pictures !

I wonder if you have 'black soldier flys' in S. Africa ? Lots of prople raise them for their fish and chickens. They are pretty easy to raise.

JCO
03-22-2010, 07:30 AM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers. :mrgreen:

stucco
03-22-2010, 04:03 PM
Welcome! Sounds like a great system. I hope you start a system thread and share photos. Cheers, stucco :ugeek:

davidstcldfl
03-23-2010, 05:19 AM
francois, try this... :)

How to post pictures (http://www.diyaquaponics.com/forum/showthread.php?68-How-to-post-pictures)

Now that you said 'Hello'....you may want to start describing and sharing about your system in "Backyard Sytems" thread.....

Back Yard Systems (http://www.diyaquaponics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?18-Back-Yard-Systems)

francois
03-23-2010, 09:07 AM
just checking

http://s894.photobucket.com/albums/ac14 ... 0PICTURES/ (http://s894.photobucket.com/albums/ac144/francoislemmer/AQUAPONIC%20PICTURES/)

Glenn
03-26-2010, 04:42 PM
Hi Francois,

I am also in South Africa, based in Pretoria. I am very keen on aquaponics and have just put water into my fish tanks today. I have 4 x 250 litre tanks for brood stock, 4 small tanks for fry and a 1000 litre grow out tank in my system with 2 x bio filters and one top up tank. Will be putting Tilapia in next week. :)

Once up and running, will start with some veggie growing trays. I have been very inspired by your photo's. Great to see what you have done.

Cheers,

Glenn.

jackalope
03-26-2010, 04:51 PM
Hi Francois,

I am also in South Africa, based in Pretoria. I am very keen on aquaponics and have just put water into my fish tanks today. I have 4 x 250 litre tanks for brood stock, 4 small tanks for fry and a 1000 litre grow out tank in my system with 2 x bio filters and one top up tank. Will be putting Tilapia in next week. :)

Once up and running, will start with some veggie growing trays. I have been very inspired by your photo's. Great to see what you have done.

Cheers,

Glenn.

Glenn Welcome to the Forum! glad to have you here :D :D We'll look forward to seeing some pix of your system ;)

jackalope
03-26-2010, 04:54 PM
just checking

http://s894.photobucket.com/albums/ac14 ... 0PICTURES/ (http://s894.photobucket.com/albums/ac144/francoislemmer/AQUAPONIC%20PICTURES/)

Nice PIX, it must be nice to live in a place where it isn't still snowing and freezing :lol: :lol:

francois
03-27-2010, 03:39 AM
Nice PIX, it must be nice to live in a place where it isn't still snowing and freezing

very true JACKALOPE

GLEN WELCOME
GLAD TO SEE ANOTHER ONE OF US.
WISH YOU SUCCESS

FRANCOIS

davidstcldfl
03-27-2010, 05:11 AM
Hi Glen....I'd like to see some picts of yours too.... :D

Nice PIX, it must be nice to live in a place where it isn't still snowing and freezing
:?: .... :shock:

wolfracer
03-27-2010, 08:42 AM
Welcome francois and glenn. I haven't been getting by here as much as I should. Good luck on your systems.