PDA

View Full Version : Best food for Goldies

natethegreek
03-18-2010, 07:04 PM
Hey guys I was just wondering if any of you guys had an idea what the best feed is for goldfish, I have found lots of stuff, beef heart flake, spirolina, brine shrimp ect.

What do you guys use?

davidstcldfl
03-18-2010, 07:31 PM
I feed mine TetraMin flakes.They seem to like it.
I give it to the tilapia as a treat. They love it so much, they'll come up and pull it from my fingers.

dufflight
03-19-2010, 03:56 AM
I feed mine barra pellets. Most are getting to the 35cm mark.(14inch) :mrgreen: You can feed them flakes but it all depends on what the fish are fueling.

natethegreek
03-19-2010, 06:41 AM
so you change the food based on what you are growing?

davidstcldfl
03-19-2010, 12:33 PM
Nate, I think what Duff was saying is....

Feeding flakes doesn't ceate as much poo. Pellets will.....

The fish poo is/becomes the fertilizer for our systems. Stands to reason, if you have lots of plants, especially heavy feeders.....You'll want more 'poo'. The 'poo' being what he was calling 'fuel'.

Duff's goldies are small monsters,(14 inch) so they can eat pellets. Mine are just little guys, so they just get the flakes. Plus, mine are in my sump and I don't really wanting them to create alot of waste. I have tilapia to do that.... :lol:

The tetramin brand I use, has been around a long time. I remeber using it as a kid. There may be better stuff, I don't know...?

badflash
03-20-2010, 08:33 AM
The big problem with flakes is cost. If you get a serious system going, the cost of food will overwhelm you. A bag of commercial feed for Koi will work well and not destroy your pocket book. You can get a 33# bag at most farm stores like Blue Seal, or Tractor Supply, Agway, etc for about $1 a pound. There is a group called the Cooperative Feed Dealers (USA) http://www.co-opfeed.com/pdf/FishPondSupplies.pdf that allows you to order at the local farm store and you pick it up locally with no shipping charges. That is how I get my tilapia feed.

Floating pellets will soften enough and the goldfish will tear them up and eat them.