PDA

View Full Version : Hello from eastern PA

r3tic
03-15-2010, 12:48 PM
Hey all....I've recently moved into the Philly area and have started looking into aquaponics because the soil around my house is so poor I won't be able to have a productive garden for at least a couple of years. I am thinking of going with a barrelponics based system, mostly because I have most of the hardware I need and I can get barrels for free. I have several years of both gardening and aquarium experience(mostly salt water). With that in mind, what types of things should I keep an eye out for with an aquaponics system?

More questions to come...

Dave

JCO
03-15-2010, 04:05 PM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers. :mrgreen:

stucco
03-15-2010, 06:07 PM
Welcome aboard! The barrelponics is a great tool for learning aquaponics, but I don’t think in the long run it is large enough. I started with a cattle trough and a plastic pond. The minute I finished I was planning my next system. Save yourself some time and money and build a larger system. Since you can get free barrels Look for IBC containers [on Craig’s list]or Rubbermaid stock tanks[tractor supply] for fish tanks and you can use multiple barrels for the grow beds. :mrgreen: Cheers, Jon

jackalope
03-15-2010, 09:31 PM
Welcome, thrice welcome ;)

davidstcldfl
03-16-2010, 08:12 AM
Hi Dave... :D .....welcome !

If you use the barrels for grow beds...I've read that others have recomended to cut them in half, side to side, instead of from end to end. That way, you don't have to support the barrel's sides.

r3tic
03-17-2010, 11:15 AM
Thank you for the replies. I understand that a larger system is always better when it comes to contained aquatic systems. Unfortunately it's not always better when it comes to the wallet, and that is my limiting factor for the moment. I intend to use two to three times the GB volume as FT volume. I will most likely have a sump equal to the size of the FT as well. For cutting the barrels, I have not decided which orientation to cut them in yet. Not having to brace them is a definite plus, however, with about double the surface area if you cut it length wise there is more room to grow in. Does anyone else have any input as to the pros and cons for the different ways to cut the barrels?

Thanks again

badflash
03-17-2010, 04:05 PM
I'm finding that the 30 gallon plastic barrels have such thick walls they don't need bracing. I don't cut them in half, more like cutting off the top 1/3 keeping both ends in tact. Cost is great at $0.00. I get mine from the local car was for free. The soap is easy to rinse out with a pressure washer I use for my deck. The ends have threaded connections perfect for plumbing with a little adapting.