PDA

View Full Version : can i add ammonia

urbanrunoff
01-23-2010, 08:57 PM
so i got 23 goldies in 100 gallon tank for over a month

i never had any ammonia spikes, highest ever was 1.5...
nitrates were at 10 for a while and nitrites around 1
Now all my levels fell
ammonia 0
nitrites 0
and nitrates almost zero too :cry:

So i was thinking of adding a lil ammonia to help the cycling... good or bad idea?
and how little do i add

thanks again

wolfracer
01-24-2010, 07:50 AM
Sounds like it has cycled, pee iin it and see what happens but I bet your numbers stay good. I wouldn't add the ammonia.

badflash
01-24-2010, 08:44 AM
How are the fish doing? If they are OK you are good.
Adding ammonia to a tank with living fish is a bad idea.

urbanrunoff
01-24-2010, 09:08 AM
fish seem ok.
I have a lot of plants and ever since i got a high powered air pump the water gets a lot of air and the water flows through the bed at pretty high rate.

If i was fully cycled should i not have higher nitrate levels?
Maybe i should feed the fish more.
I know Goldfish are like pigs, mine are constantly begging for food. I feed them 2 times a day a decent portion but they would take more.

badflash
01-24-2010, 12:22 PM
Nitrates only show up as a consequence of metabolism. It doesn't sound like you have a lot of fish mass. If your plants are doing their job, they will take it out as fast as the fish put it in. If your nitrates are low, you need more fish.

davidstcldfl
01-24-2010, 01:36 PM
I know Goldfish are like pigs, mine are constantly begging for food.

:lol: ....I know that's right ! When I'm in the room, they all hang in the corner where I drop in the feed. No matter 'how long' I'm in the room.... :D All they do is eat and poop.......and swim up air- lift siphons... :roll:

Celticloud
01-24-2010, 11:21 PM
Hi,

Newbie but no lurker here. How are the plants looking? They should be GREEN and perky.

Tom Cloud
Filaree Farm

urbanrunoff
01-25-2010, 05:00 PM
thanks for all the answers. no ammonia then.

plants are looking ok. But the lettuce planted in reg soil is outgrowing my aquap. lettuce.
basil refuses to grow, but that's probably more a temperature issue.

dufflight
01-29-2010, 04:22 PM
What are you feeding the fish. Flakes are only designed to keep fish alive and keep there waste at a minimum. My goldies are in with the rest of the fish so they get barra or silver pellets. More stuff in the food more for the plants. A lot of systems run with Am 0 Ni 0 Na 0. And the plants do better with an aged system. Some people add urea but its super strong and has trace metals. More fish is the best option.