PDA

View Full Version : flooding grow beds

bruce
01-14-2010, 03:24 PM
Ok here goes with my first question!!

I am currently working on a media filled bed system ( flood and drain) and I am a bit confused about what happens to the fish tanks as you flood the grow beds. If say you are using a ratio of a 1.1 meaning the grow bed water volume is the same as the fish tank water volume as you flood the grow beds and they become full wont that empty the fish tanks and be a problem for the fish?
I have a very simple system no sump or filters etc as of yet. Should I have these in my system?

badflash
01-14-2010, 03:42 PM
In a F/D system you have media that takes up lots of space, probably something close to 75%. With no sump the fish tank level will drop by 25% then recover when the auto syphon does its thing.

jackalope
01-14-2010, 06:08 PM
Ok here goes with my first question!!

I am currently working on a media filled bed system ( flood and drain) and I am a bit confused about what happens to the fish tanks as you flood the grow beds. If say you are using a ratio of a 1.1 meaning the grow bed water volume is the same as the fish tank water volume as you flood the grow beds and they become full wont that empty the fish tanks and be a problem for the fish?
I have a very simple system no sump or filters etc as of yet. Should I have these in my system?

It wouldn't hurt to have a second tank just for the overflow if you're worried about draining the FT or overflowing it, you could join the two tanks so that any over flow would be covered or so that the one would not be drained entirely -- I'm speaking of rubbermaids/stocktanks, etc, where you could drill holes in each and join the two together somewhere so that you preserve the volume of water. Just a thought!

bruce
01-15-2010, 06:30 AM
That makes things clearer.Thanks alot everyone.