PDA

View Full Version : whale wars collision

badflash
01-06-2010, 08:26 PM
You can use the subject line for a google search and see the video.

I am personally against whaling and would like the Japanese whaling fleet shut down. Unfortunately we have an idiot at the helm of the Steve Irwin doing a very good Southpark impression. I think this thing is going to get worse. Now there is a Price Is Right connection with $5 mil donated by Bob Barker.

What's next, U-Boats?

evanj
01-06-2010, 11:00 PM
Crazy, who would ever think that ramming boats together was a good way to get your message across?

The real question here is if their approach of harassing these whalers has changed anything??? Yeah, if whales are in danger, then it's not good to kill them. But if you're just chasing around the people killing whales, are you really doing any good?

badflash
01-07-2010, 08:37 AM
For years the japanese would not hunt while they were being watched. That changed last year and the agressiveness increased. The international community has been doing nothing and has accepted the killing of hundreds of whales for "scientific purposes" which everyone knows is a code word for blubber sushi. Now that it has gotten violent it can't be ignored. Japan is agressively fishing everyone's waters. It has to come to a head sooner or later.

jackalope
01-07-2010, 02:20 PM
I'm not for the whaling IF the whales are truly becoming endangered ..... (most of the supposed "statistics come from eco-freaks, so how do we really know what is true?) .... but Piracy IS illegal, and for the Japanese whaling fleet to defend themselves from the pirates, is their right and responsibility. The International community needs to sink the pirates, just as they would in the Somali waters, the pirates have no legal authority to decide for the rest of the world whether or not these 'research vessels' are legal or not. If I would have been on the Japanese vessel, I would have been tempted to assault the pirates with a 30.06, and grenades instead of rocks and sticks! If these pirates are really concerned that the whaling is wrong, there is a world court ..... committing a crime to prevent another crime doesn't make these pirates legitimate. The Japanese need to sink these pirates so they won't be able to come back with another ship if the international community hasn't got the backbone to enforce International Maritime Law!

This is out and out piracy! The 'Shepherds' even fly a pirate flag ..... They are the real criminals!

davidstcldfl
01-07-2010, 02:41 PM
I hope this isnt too far off topic...a long the same lines...
Commercial Fishing on a large scale.

These ships are huge, like small cities, They stay out 24/7. They have miles of nets that they constantly pull. The fish are processed right there. (They process everything) They have helicopters, several times a day, flying back and forth. You can guess what country owns (most) of them.
As the oceans are depleted (more)....we will see even more violence over fishing and whaling.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a tree hugger and I 'love seafood'.....but I do respect nature/animals and I think common sense should prevail....have catch limits,certain fishing seasons, ect....to help the worlds oceans stay alive.

More reason to learn and practice AP.

davidstcldfl
01-07-2010, 03:40 PM
Good point Jackalope. I wonder 'who' really is wrong ?

Even if the fishermen are wrong...you got to expect them to protect themselves.

If you think ahead and add kevlar to your boats haul to help deflect harpoon shots, that your willing going to try to do .....you might just have to expect some other issues too, like getting rammed.

davidstcldfl
01-07-2010, 03:43 PM
Good point Jackalope. I wonder 'who' really is wrong ?

Even if the fishermen are wrong...you got to expect them to protect themselves.

If you think ahead and add kevlar to your boats haul to help deflect harpoon shots, that your willingly going to try to do .....you might just have to expect some other issues too, like getting rammed.

badflash
01-07-2010, 05:40 PM
The Japanese are blatantly violating the international anti-whaling agreement. They are exploiting a loophole that allows killing whales for scientific purposes, but allows for the carcass to be used so it doesn't go to waste. The Japanese do just the opposite. They kill all the whales they want and supply a token amount of material for science. Just try to find any meaningful science on whales coming from this.

Jim, I do hope you are playing devil's advocate here. What does having them be endangered have to do with it? Should we kill all species until they are endangered? I realize you live far from the sea, but have you ever seen these animals in person? Have you ever seen their intelligence? I believe these are sentient beings and should not be killed for any purpose.

Check the law here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internatio ... Commission (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Whaling_Commission)

People feel strongly about this and there will be loss of human life as a result.

jackalope
01-09-2010, 01:12 AM
The Japanese are blatantly violating the international anti-whaling agreement. They are exploiting a loophole that allows killing whales for scientific purposes, but allows for the carcass to be used so it doesn't go to waste. The Japanese do just the opposite. They kill all the whales they want and supply a token amount of material for science. Just try to find any meaningful science on whales coming from this.

Jim, I do hope you are playing devil's advocate here. What does having them be endangered have to do with it? Should we kill all species until they are endangered? I realize you live far from the sea, but have you ever seen these animals in person? Have you ever seen their intelligence? I believe these are sentient beings and should not be killed for any purpose.

Check the law here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internatio ... Commission (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Whaling_Commission)

People feel strongly about this and there will be loss of human life as a result.

I realize that the Whalers are skirting the 'Letter of the Law', but that doesn't legitimatize the pirates that are taking the law into their own hands to play judge and jury ..... that's what the world courts are for .... and if there is any loss of human life over this, I would not lose any sleep if it were the pirates, rather than the whalers ...... this isn't playing devil's advocate, this is right v. wrong .... or wrong v. wrong ..... regardless of how we feel about the whales, they are dumb animals, not humans, and therefore are preyed upon, in the same way they prey on smaller animals than themselves ...... just another dumb animal in my eyes .... they can't be too intelligent when they are constantly beaching themselves so they can die of asphixiation ;) I'm not trying to get your goat badflash, I just look on them from a different viewpoint, I look at all animals the same way .... I slaughter my own goats, sheep, cattle, deer, antelope, elk, moose etc., and if I wanted to go out on a ship (I get seasick just getting into a row boat :lol: ), I'd be willing to slaughter a whale, just as soon as I would a shark, dolphin, tuna, or salmon .... to me, they're all the same. Sorry if I offend, but that's the way I was brought up .... they are here to provide food/ clothing/etc. for us humans ... I only worry about animals when they become endangered, not until!