PDA

View Full Version : HELLO FROM NEGROS ISLAND, PHILIPPINES

Cris Gaston
01-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Hello to all. I am located in Silay City, province of Negros Occidental in central Philippines. At present I have a working 4 sq.m. DWC and a 2 sq.m. GB, both supported by a 2 cu.m. filtered tilapia tank. I also operate a 6000 breeder tilapia hatchery that supplies fry to the local industry. My wish is to somehow utilize the soil pond water to support large scale aquaponics. How to filter the water to prevent root rot is a problem that has stumped me . Any ideas ? Thanks.

davidstcldfl
01-04-2010, 07:47 PM
Hi Cris. Nice to hear from you. :D

Maybe a 'swirl filter' to remove the particles ? I know people make them out of the plastic 55 gal barrels. Maybe this wouldn't be large enough for you ?
I'm sorry I don't have a 'link' handy on how to make one. Someone should come along soon to help. In the mean time , you could use the 'search' for swirl filters.

Good luck...looking forward to some pictures.

Dave

Cris Gaston
01-05-2010, 01:24 AM
Thanks Dave. A conical swirl won't work, I think, because the problem are the light suspended solids which go with the slightest water movement. A fiber or sand filter may be a possible approach. I tried direct flow thru and the muck accumulated on the roots and caused root decay. I will try to retrieve some of the photos I took of the experiment and post them here.

JCO
01-05-2010, 06:52 AM
Welcome to the show....pull up an easy chair, relax and stay awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! Whatever questions you have on you mind, this is the place to get the answers. :mrgreen:

badflash
01-05-2010, 07:35 AM
I would suggest a sand filter that can be back washed as needed.

badflash
01-06-2010, 09:10 AM
I was thinking, what plants were you growing and was this a flood & drain ssystem, or just a flooded system? Many plant need the F/D or their roots will rot.

jackalope
01-06-2010, 11:39 PM
Cris Gaston Welcome to the Forum ... Glad you could join and hopefully you will share some of your expertise on Tilapia breeding and raising.

Cris Gaston
01-07-2010, 04:34 AM
The experiment was on lettuce on floating styro inside "hapa" nets in a big soil pond. The suspended solids (mud) in the pond water accumulate on the plant roots. Plant survival is about 50% with poor growth rate.

Cris Gaston
01-07-2010, 04:38 AM
Hi Jack. No problem there. Will help out any way I can. I specialize in hatchery operation.

immanuel7069
08-25-2010, 04:22 AM
hello sir im immanuel from cebu . i was wondering how is your system doing>?