PDA

View Full Version : CHEAP FISH TANKS

02-16-2009, 07:27 AM
:o Hey all, glad to see some life's blood is being pumped back into this place. Seemed to have withered on the vine since Codi died, which by the way will be a year ago this coming 04/01/09.

In his honor and to throw out an idea that was his from another place, I found this recently and don't think he would mind if I put it here since I am giving him the credit for it. Want to start your own aquaponics system cheap with a little effort on your part? Check out this idea (it's a quote) by Codi:

Just thought about a water receptacle that can usually be acquired for
free and with minimal work serve as good, or better than a barrel. I
haven't used them in years, but back when I had very little money, I
use to scavenge for used refrigerators on every street for miles
around. The bigger the better.

It takes a little work to remove it, but with the holes filled with
aquarium sealant, a porcelain coated refrigerator liner sitting on
concrete blocks makes a great tank. Just a memory from the past that
could help with the future.

Anyone got a less expensive (better) idea than this?

JCO
02-16-2009, 07:36 AM
Alicia,

Welcome back and thanks for the memoriam of Codi. I never knew he had ever told anyone about the refrigerator liner tanks we use to build back in the 60s but they worked great. It was a little work to get them out of the refrigerators but well worth the effort....some of the would hold almost a 100 gals.

Thanks very much for the memories and the addition of an old idea that is still viable. Anyone else have an idea that can top this?

badflash
02-16-2009, 08:23 AM
In the same light, commercial dryer drums can be lined and used as large tanks. You need access to a commercial junk yard, but there is all sorts of good stuff if they let you in to scavenge.

My town has a recycle center that people drop off all sorts of things. You can take what is there as well as drop off. There are always refer's and freezers. A big freezer would work just as well, and these hold water. Ihad a freezer disaster, so I know that for a fact.

JeffW
02-18-2009, 04:47 AM
refrigerator liner tanks?

I am interested but I guess confused about the refrigerators. Is there some liner inside of a refrigerator that is worth getting at or are you all talking about simply the entire thing and maybe laying it on it's side?

Just curious..love the recycle ideas too! I have a hard time tossing stuff out myself finding ways to use things later ya know ;)

JCO
02-18-2009, 12:33 PM
Yes Jeff, when you open the refrigerator door and look inside, what you see is the interior liner. You have to actually tear the frige apart to get it, but it will come out.

There is a layer of insulation between it and the outside wall of the frige and that's how it maintains the interior temperature. Once remove, from the main body, there will be a few small holes to fill to make it water tight, but they work real well.

Back in the 60's we used the black aquarium tar type sealant that aquarium manufactures used to seal the glass to the metal frames of the aquariums. You might be able to find it somewhere, but I doubt it now. Probably would just use silicone to fill the holes.

And that's the rest of the story as Paul Harvey would say!

JeffW
02-18-2009, 07:38 PM
10-4 I had no idea thank you. Sounds like I need to go slinking around at recycling center, heck maybe even craigslist has some freebees.

mommyhen42
02-21-2009, 09:18 PM
Excues my confusion. (I am new here) anyway, why should I even bother to remove the inner liner of the refrigerator? Why not just put the thing on it's back, fill in the holes and thank the insulation and smooth contour for being less work and still doing the job?

Since it is the inner liner you want, and are happy it continues to have the foam insulation, why bother to take it out of the fridge in the first place? Also most are plastic liners now and not the old metal coated with porceline...
I thought the metal shell of the fridge would make utilization of the unit easier???

Thank You
Sheryl
Riverside, Californaia :geek:

Yes Jeff, when you open the refrigerator door and look inside, what you see is the interior liner. You have to actually tear the frige apart to get it, but it will come out.

There is a layer of insulation between it and the outside wall of the frige and that's how it maintains the interior temperature. Once remove, from the main body, there will be a few small holes to fill to make it water tight, but they work real well.

Back in the 60's we used the black aquarium tar type sealant that aquarium manufactures used to seal the glass to the metal frames of the aquariums. You might be able to find it somewhere, but I doubt it now. Probably would just use silicone to fill the holes.

And that's the rest of the story as Paul Harvey would say!

JCO
02-21-2009, 10:39 PM
MommyHen (I'm going to leave off the 42 if you don't mine),

A hearty Welcome to your and to our show...it's a rare occassion when we see someone with so much informative information to share. It is gratefully appreciated and much needed. Keep it coming and we'll soak it all up like ther pervrebial sponge :geek:

As for the reason for removing the liners, hopefully metal ones if you can find them as you said, if your are going to leave the outside, then no, but I always had them in close quarters inside where every inch counted and they are more packable when removed.

:o Never even though about the new ones being plactic...damn...shows how old I am :lol:

mommyhen42
02-21-2009, 11:19 PM
yeah... darn things get cheaper all the time... Now I understand. I have my systems out doors, and one is running a little 6x8 greenhouse so space is not quite as big a concern. I jus thought that since the things are square, and the outer cabnet ads to the insulation that It would be better and easier to place side by side... That is where my confusion was.

I guess we are dating ourselves...LOL by admitting that we both have seen and appreciate metal liners...
I say the same for cars... You couldnt hurt my little mustang... bump my Neon and OUCH!!!
Just don't make things like they used to... sigh
BTW the 42 was a few years ago... just stuck to the usernames and never got around to changing it...
Always a mommyhen though
Sheryl
Riverside, California

JCO
02-21-2009, 11:31 PM
OK, if that be the case...how 'bout taking us under your wing and sharing some photo of your setup and anything else pertenent to the DIY. :?:

Also, what veggies do you grow? There is a section for info on veggies...if you grow something edible that there is no topic for say "eggplant" (UGH!) etc. let me know and I'll take care of it. :mrgreen:

jackalope
02-23-2009, 11:03 PM
"Double UGH" on that eggplant, right next to theArtichokes ;)

mommyhen42
03-02-2009, 11:22 PM
I am having a hard time keeping track of all the topics I keep posting to...LOL
Honestly I have never really done much on message boards but you have a topic I have developed a passion for... fishing and gardening combined... who would have thunk...LOL
I totally love the concept, never really understood why I would want to grow the food I am going to eat in
"chemicals" we didnt even like chemical fertalizers when we had the farm... we ran the manure spreader instead. Everyone had a garden (typically an acre or so) and when time to harvest came along you would load up your excess and drive to the farm down the road to see if they could use any... everyone did this and it was wonderful. We didnt grow corn for example because the neighbor grew field corn and brought some down the road, we always had awesome tomatoes so we became known for the tomatoes and so on... everyone had pleanty and a great variety to can, or blanch and freeze. Now this wasnt 100 years ago... but in the 70's in a quiet community in Oregon. Everyone knew everyone else... here... I only know 2 neighbors! But we are all on acre and a half parcels just outside of town... Go one block north of me and you are in regular neighborhoods...

I want to get the idea of aquaponics out there one person at a time and am working on getting a co-op together where we can help our neighbors and the neighborhood... hopefully building systems as we go... but I posted that on another part of the forum. I hope to apply for grant funding for a project to get fresh food and vegies to the local food banks and put systems into low income familys back yards with a portion going to the family, a portion to the food banks and homeless shelters and a portion to be sold in the local farmers market... to bring money to build the next system to go into a low income familys back yard... and so on.... Probally a pipe dream but I am willing to try!
Tomarrow I will call a couple of local food banks and a homeless shelter to see if they can even accept such donations... first step in my plan...

Stay safe
Sheryl