PDA

View Full Version : Home Brew Filters

badflash
02-15-2009, 02:37 PM
If you keep tilapia intensively, you need a way to remove the particulate matter. Grow beds are the best, but if you want to use a floating raft system, you need filtered water anyway.

I start with Sterilite stacking containers from Walmart:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c70/badflash/stuff/PA110015.jpg

I drill out large holes in the bottom of two of them, and in the sides of a 3rd one.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c70/badflash/stuff/PA110010.jpg

I cut and glue plastic screen cloth to the bottom using hotglue.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c70/badflash/stuff/PA110018.jpg
You'll find this in craft stores and it is used to make hand hooked rugs.

My containers stack leaving about 4" space. If yours don't cut 4" section of PVC pipe to use as standoffs. The bottom container keeps the 2nd level out of the water, or just partially submerged. The 2nd container is filled with plastic scrubby pads for the dollar store. Pack them tightly, but don't let them crush. These will be the primary bio-filter, just like bios balls but a lot cheaper.

The top container is filled with plastic filter beads, ones that sink.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c70/badflash/stuff/PA110024.jpg

I put another layer of the plastic screening on top to keep the beads in place. This whole contraption goes in my sump:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c70/badflash/stuff/PA140027.jpg

I drill a hole near the top and put in an overflow pipe for when the filter clogs up. This keeps down the splashing. When this happens you can still the top layer of beads to break up the particles to buy you another day between cleaning.

Cleaning is simple. Remove the bead container. Run water through while stirring the beads. The dirty water can be dumped into your grow beds.

The filtration is fantastic.

02-19-2009, 09:00 AM
:D Seems you really thought this one through to the hilt. I like it.

JeffW
02-20-2009, 08:48 AM
very slick where can I find plastic filter beads?

thank you for pics too..it helps

02-20-2009, 09:55 AM
Jeff,

Maybe this will help make it up to you for my "BIG MOUTH"

You asked and now I have a BEAD on you...! :lol:

http://www.advancedaquaculture.com/aqua ... a-bead.htm (http://www.advancedaquaculture.com/aquaculture/perma-bead.htm)

badflash
02-20-2009, 01:22 PM
You can get them from http://www.integrated-aqua.com/Permabead.asp
aquatic eco systems. If you don't need 55# you should consider a group buy. 55# is about a cubic foot. Way too much for some small filters.

mommyhen42
02-21-2009, 10:52 PM
ok, I guess I am a little slow tonight... but talking to my son can do that...LOL :lol:
Anyway, 2 of them you have holes on the bottom, one has holds on the sides... all 4 sides? One side, two sides??? Then you stack them... In what order, or does it matter? I am guessing the one with the holes in the sides goes in the middle?
Just having a difficult time visualizing tonight. Sorry

Sheryl
in Riverside, California

badflash
02-22-2009, 10:27 AM
The bottom one has holes in the sides near the bottom. It just keeps the upper ones above the sump water level. The 2nd filter has the scrubby pads or bio balls in it. The idea of a wet-dry filter is that it needs to be wet, but not submerges. The bacteria needs lots of air to do their job. The top filter is a bead filter and removes the particulates. Particulates are bad for the bio-filter and clogs it up.

Only the top filter needs to be periodically cleaned as it plugs up. It will start to overflow. It can be churned a little, just the top inch of beads, to extend it another day or so.

I'll see if I can take some pictures of the entire setup.

Ironfish
02-23-2009, 06:09 PM
Hi Bad Flash,
This is a very clean design for a filter! I may have to incorporate it.

IronFish

badflash
02-23-2009, 07:24 PM
Thanks! For those that want just enough beads for a single filter, not an entire 55# bag, let me know. I have extra that I can let go for cost + shipping. In a flat rate box I can put in plenty for a single filter and then some.

jackalope
02-23-2009, 09:37 PM
I like that filter, I'll have one when I really get rolling, right now, I don't have a need for it, but I'll be collecting the stuff to put one together when I need it ;)

catfish
07-10-2010, 06:38 AM
Ok can you post some more pictures of this system?

What is feeding the water to this filter, and did you build it as well or is it something you purchased?

Thanks

davidstcldfl
07-10-2010, 07:23 AM
Hi Catfish... :D ...welcome to the forum.

I'm guessing...the water comming to Badflashes filter, is gravity fed, from the drain(s) on his fish tank(s)

badflash
07-10-2010, 07:24 AM
Not much to show.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c70/badflash/snails/plumbing.jpg

This is the back side of a series of 20 gallon tanks. They all have drilled backs and 1" PVC pipe is connected to drain water back to the sump. I have small pond pumps that lift the water from the sump up to the tanks. When the water level gets to the overflow, it dumps back to the sump.

Water goes into the bead filter, and over the biological filter before it goes to the sump.

stucco
07-10-2010, 09:14 AM
Is that a slo drain in the bottom right side of the pic? From the photo it looks like the siphon pipe and poly tube is above the water level?

badflash
07-10-2010, 10:24 AM
That is where the water comes in. The other end of the tank has a screened drain line. These tanks are where I grow out my fry.

badflash
07-10-2010, 10:27 AM
Ctfish,
Have a look at this thread:
My 700 gallon basement system (http://www.diyaquaponics.com/forum/showthread.php?33-My-700-gallon-basement-system)

I use a small pool pump with a sand filter in this system along with an aquacube for bio filtration.

catfish
07-20-2010, 09:24 AM
Ctfish,
Have a look at this thread:
My 700 gallon basement system (http://www.diyaquaponics.com/forum/showthread.php?33-My-700-gallon-basement-system)

I use a small pool pump with a sand filter in this system along with an aquacube for bio filtration.

So where would be a good place to get a pool pump and the sand filter?

Can you post pictures of them and where they are located?

Also where is the filter located and is this the only biofilter you have and would this work for different types of setups or would a larger one need setup for stock tanks or pool systems?

badflash
07-20-2010, 09:48 AM
Sand filters are pressure filters. If you have an aquaponic system you don't need them, or my bead filters. Those and strictly needed for recirculating systems with no gravel beds. The gravel beds are the filter.

Pressure filters go in the system immediately after the pump, just like in a swimming pool. They must be backflushed routinely to keep the water clear.

Bead filters are non-pressurized. These are placed in a sump and catch the overflow before it gets to the pump that is submerged in the sump. When the beads become clogged, the filter overflows into the sump and no longer filters. It is removed and cleaned.

The scrubby pads unter the bead filter is the bio-filter. In the sand filter system, the aquacube is the primary bio-filter, but the sand filter does have some bacteria and does some bio-filtration.

catfish
07-20-2010, 10:06 AM
Sand filters are pressure filters. If you have an aquaponic system you don't need them, or my bead filters. Those and strictly needed for recirculating systems with no gravel beds. The gravel beds are the filter.

Pressure filters go in the system immediately after the pump, just like in a swimming pool. They must be backflushed routinely to keep the water clear.

Bead filters are non-pressurized. These are placed in a sump and catch the overflow before it gets to the pump that is submerged in the sump. When the beads become clogged, the filter overflows into the sump and no longer filters. It is removed and cleaned.

The scrubby pads unter the bead filter is the bio-filter. In the sand filter system, the aquacube is the primary bio-filter, but the sand filter does have some bacteria and does some bio-filtration.

I am just wanting to build an "RAS" without grow beds to raise Tilapia. I do not have the room for grow beds and trying to stay as simple as possible.

Want to get an idea as to how much i am looking at spending to get this thing up and running.

I think it will be similar to your 700 gallon system but on a smaller scale, maybe a 1/2 to 1/3. How many fish do you think that could handle?

Thanks

badflash
07-20-2010, 11:35 AM
For a 300 gallon system, I'd go with am 8' snap set kiddie pool, a submersible pond pump, and my bead/scrubbie filter. $50 for the filter, $50 for the pool base, $60 for the pump, $15 for the pool, and another $100 for plumbing. You can add a waterbed heater for about $15 off ebay to keep it from freezing.

Density depends on the fish and how big they are. I only deal with tilapia. You could probably do 50 tilapia in a system like that.

catfish
07-20-2010, 11:43 AM
For a 300 gallon system, I'd go with am 8' snap set kiddie pool, a submersible pond pump, and my bead/scrubbie filter. $50 for the filter, $50 for the pool base, $60 for the pump, $15 for the pool, and another $100 for plumbing. You can add a waterbed heater for about $15 off ebay to keep it from freezing.

Density depends on the fish and how big they are. I only deal with tilapia. You could probably do 50 tilapia in a system like that.

I do not think I have room for the pool so I was think 1-3 stock tanks maybe add to them as needed.

Is there a difference in Submersible pond pump and just a regular sumersible pump?

I want to make one of these filters do you still have extra beads or know where I can get some?

Can you use a filter like this with an aquarium?

You mentioned that this sits in your sump, can you explain the sump more or is there a separate thread with you sump?

What is considered pool base?

$100 for plumbing, is this just the materials like the PVC etc.?

badflash
07-20-2010, 01:30 PM
I do not think I have room for the pool so I was think 1-3 stock tanks maybe add to them as needed.

Is there a difference in Submersible pond pump and just a regular submersible pump?

I want to make one of these filters do you still have extra beads or know where I can get some?

Can you use a filter like this with an aquarium?

You mentioned that this sits in your sump, can you explain the sump more or is there a separate thread with you sump?

What is considered pool base?

$100 for plumbing, is this just the materials like the PVC etc.?

A sump is simply a tank that sits at the low point of the system. Water flows into the sump and is pumped from there. Nothing mysterious about a sump. I use a stock tank for a sump with my 700 gallon system. This gives a good place to put a pump and bio-filter.

There are all kinds of submersible pumps. The ones used a sump pumps in houses are not a good choice. They are very inefficient and generate a lot of heat. You need ones designed for high efficiency and you need to select the pump for your application. The right flow for the right head, or height you want to pump the water is key.

As far as beads go, they are already discuseed in this thread.

They are a poor choice for aquariums unless you drill your tanks and set up a sump.

Pool base is just plywood and foam sheets to put the pool on. This makes an insulated smooth surface so the pool won't leak heat or water. Concrete floors will ruin the pool and suck heat out of the bottom.

Yes, the $100 is for valves, clean-outs, elbows, etc.

catfish
07-20-2010, 02:39 PM
I was thinking you still had some beads you were willing to sell.

What filters would you recomend for aquariums then?

badflash
07-20-2010, 03:16 PM
Aquaclear. They use a sponge that is easy to rinse out when you do water changes. You never need to replace the sponge. Just squeeze it out in the used aquarium water. They are sold at anylarge pet store.

catfish
07-21-2010, 10:46 AM
So they use a sponge in place of the carbon?

badflash
07-21-2010, 01:14 PM
Carbon is useless. They use a sponge in place of a felt filter. Carbone is to remove chemicals, but the small amount that it removed makes it useless in aquaculture.

catfish
07-21-2010, 01:18 PM
So to me it seems like carbon filter would be worthless altogether.

What about the Bio Wheel filters?

urbanfarmer
10-10-2010, 05:21 PM
plastic scrubby pads for the dollar store
The ones my dollar store has are coated in copper. Do you think this would be a problem?

badflash
10-10-2010, 06:42 PM
It isn't copper, but it would be a problem. Don't use them.

urbanfarmer
10-10-2010, 07:52 PM
That was my gut instinct, but I will not use them. Thanks!

KathleenGray
10-01-2013, 10:47 PM
Its so simple to make with just few items. I used to waste lot of money for the market product whereas it can be done at home.
sisal rug (http://www.naturalhomerugs.com)

JCO
10-02-2013, 12:21 AM
Welcome KathleenGray and yep that's what the DIY Aquaponics Forum is all about...finding ways of doing things the least expensive way possible and if you will take the time to read through the threads here and learn it as you go, you'll know more about Aquaponics than 99% of those wanna' bees that have their own web sites trying to convince the world they are the way to enlightenment. Enjoy. :mrgreen: