PDA

View Full Version : Plant Density Per Gallon Estimate?

Jim7631
11-25-2009, 06:45 PM
Does anyone know of a planning ratio, gallon:plant? I understand it would vary with crop planted, number of fish, and probably pump rating among other variables. I am trying to determine whether such an estimate exists. If not, would someone be willing to share their experience relating the number of plants (their favorite) per tank size in their aquaponics operation?

Jim

jackalope
11-25-2009, 06:55 PM
Jim7631 Welcome to the forum ..... I've not read of any plants/gallon ratio, most of what I've read and done is a ratio of 2 gallons of growbed to 1 gallon of FT. How densely you plant your growbed depends on whether you want to thin it later .... with lettuce, I plant them about 6" apart, but tomatoes, since they are a tall plant, I planted about 3"-4 " from the lettuce .... if that will give you any kind of idea! I plant my wheat-grass and rye-grass very densely, since it's harvested within 5 to 7 days .... great on the salads and the tilapia love it too!

Jim7631
11-26-2009, 08:14 AM
Thank you for taking time to to reply and share your knowledge. My goal is to gather metrics that guide commercial crop decisions before "planting". In the absence of metrics I'll resort to a good guess. Again, thank you.

Jim

badflash
11-26-2009, 09:34 AM
Check
Calculating your Bio-filter (http://www.diyaquaponics.com/forum/showthread.php?128-Calculating-your-Bio-filter)
for basic biofilter calculations. Figure grow beds at least 1' deep for plants. To control nitrates you need plants, but their uptake of nutrients varies widely based on many factors.

If you get too scientific you'll drive yourself crazy. Keep in mind that if you havest too much you upset the system's ability to absorb nutrients, if you havest too many fish, you'll cut the source of nutrients.

JCO
11-28-2009, 08:28 AM
Welcome to the show....sit down....relax awhile. New voices are always a welcome addition to our family..! :mrgreen: