PDA

View Full Version : Adding Bato Buckets

rangebob
05-08-2015, 05:29 AM
My whole system is raised up so I don't have any sumps for any of my beds. Currently everything dumps into a 4" drain pipe and goes back to the tank.

I want to add Bato Buckets to the system. They will be at ground level. I'm sure the piping will need to be at ground level and go to a sump somewhere. How do you decide on the size of the sump? How do you get the water back to the tank. I know pump it but how do you hook up the pump, with a float valve so it only drains it when it fills or keep it constantly going? Any other pointers to adding this to the system?

Just as a side though. How far away can these be placed away from the system?

davidstcldfl
05-08-2015, 11:17 AM
Hi rangebob, We tried some dutch buckets at Sahib aquaponics.

They worked ok. The only draw back was the small tube that fed each bucket...would occasionally plug up.

We ended up switching to 5 gallon buckets with holes at the bottom (on the sides). They sit in about an inch or so of water. The mix we use, wicks up the water. We also use commercial grow bags that come with holes in them.

Her's a video...around the 2:40 mark...you can see the grow bag set ups...

TNKAXYVwaIY

As far as the size of the sump...the larger sump, just means your pump will run less often.
Yes, use a float switch. The pump can be a little on the large size...it'll only run for a few mins at a time.

JeffS
05-12-2015, 08:21 PM
Go to your local Home Depot or Lowes (Menards is better if you have one) and get a float switch for a sump pump. Set it in whatever you use for a sump. A 10 gallon tote will work. Just put your pump and float in the tote, plug the pump into the float, set the float level and you're good to go.

JeffS
06-04-2015, 07:33 PM
I put in a couple of soil gardens this year along with wicking beds. One wicking bed is watered with aquaponic water and the other with tap water. Both have only bagged potting soil. Neither is doing as well as the hydroponic bed next to them. The soil bed in the same area is also doing poorly with bagged garden soil. The other soil bed is doing great with the same soil. Only difference is the second bed gets a little less sun. I'm thinking next year doing something similar to what you did with the grow bags.

Hi rangebob, We tried some dutch buckets at Sahib aquaponics.

They worked ok. The only draw back was the small tube that fed each bucket...would occasionally plug up.

We ended up switching to 5 gallon buckets with holes at the bottom (on the sides). They sit in about an inch or so of water. The mix we use, wicks up the water. We also use commercial grow bags that come with holes in them.

Her's a video...around the 2:40 mark...you can see the grow bag set ups...

TNKAXYVwaIY

As far as the size of the sump...the larger sump, just means your pump will run less often.
Yes, use a float switch. The pump can be a little on the large size...it'll only run for a few mins at a time.