PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Atlanta, but soon the road

whart31
09-10-2014, 01:04 PM
I am an aspiring gardner in the middle of a transition to the pacific northwest where I plan to root myself for the duration of my college career. I am looking into auquaponic as a means of creating a viable business that will allow me to pay off my debt and not continue to be the starving student stereotype. I have familiarity with hydroponic builds, and have undertaken a few builds for friends personal gardens. What intrigues me most about aquaponics is the fully enclosed nature of the system, without having to spend all sorts of money on rounds of nutrients and other expensive items. Frankly, this farming style needs to be the wave of the future as it puts being a steward of nature into the very hands of the people that have blithely gone along with the system as it led us into the dire place we are now where we can hardly trust the food at the grocery store (GMO's and other equally as terrible pesticides and additives, not to mention the radioactive treatments to act as a perservative) with their desire over personal comfort or convinence over sustainability. I hope to one day see communities all over the world practicing ecologically sound farming practices and giving back to the Earth Mother that factually gives them the air they breathe, the water they drink and the food they eat, rather than continuing to rape her for her resources. Please feel free to reach out to me, definately looking for mentors in this budding science.

JCO
09-10-2014, 01:28 PM
Welcome to the forum. Pull up an easy chair, sit back and enjoy the addiction....I mean ride. Keep us up to date with your quest. As for answers to your question, there are members on this forum from all over the world and they are all too happy to help you out with any problem or work on your ideas to make the technology better. :mrgreen:

Apollo
09-10-2014, 02:03 PM
Welcome, whart31 from Atlanta, glad that you have joined us. May your journey bring you the knowledge that you seek, put a smile up on your face, create hours of pleasure to stimulate your mind, an a healthier life style for your heart...from Apollo__Phoenix, Arizona.

You're in it for all the right reasons and stated it very well...you need to add Taste to your list. :)

If you want to view my set up from start to now, check out “Fire Pit … AP” then “Pipe Siphon by Apollo” and ending with "Got Vertigrow?".

whart31
09-11-2014, 08:01 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome JCO and Apollo, was looking through the Wolfracer build thread and saw a ton of good information posted and a lovely photo log (seriously Wolfrracer, that made it uber easy to explain and show to friends giving me the "WTF you talking about look.")

Apollo, totally miss the hell out of my desert, lived in Flagstaff for years.

topz
09-12-2014, 09:25 PM
Welcome whart be careful with dem zombies! They bite!