PDA

View Full Version : not new, but, loop siphons

joebob
09-09-2014, 08:38 PM
Hey All,

I have a system that I am currently building (pictures attached). A total of 440 gallons of water. A pump that is moving water at approximately 86 gallons per hour at about 7' of head.

Two grow beds. For the top bed, I am using a classic autosiphon. On the bottom bed, I am using a loop siphon. The loop siphon is having issues; for example, even when the bottom bed is almost completely full, I am not seeing any water in the tube.

All fittings for the loop are 1-1/2", while the pump delivers water through tubes that are 3/4".

Anyways, it would be great to get some suggestions from folks; I have a few ideas as to why the siphon might not work in practice just based on comparing a few things to a few pictures, but I dont want to make any major changes until I get a bit of insight from folks.

Thanks!

Joebob

topz
09-19-2014, 05:51 AM
I've never used loop siphons but they seem really simple. No crimps blocks or plugs I'm sure you have checked. On the inside of the grow bed is there a stand pipe or is the fitting on the bottom the drainage point. Have you lowered the loop to try and start the siphon at a lower level.

joebob
09-23-2014, 10:58 AM
Hey topz,

I have played with the siphon a little bit actually. I was considering placing a standpipe to see if that assisted at all and will be doing that today.

Ill let you know how it goes! Another problem Im having is finding the 1-1/2" hose I need without ribbing and at a good price. Got a quote from someone for almost $150!

Thats a big no.

Gunna try a few more big box stores and see what happens.

Im also considering putting in a U-bend. Mostly because I feel more secure with something as solid as PVC when compared to a loop that I will probably have to have tied down with string or something lik ethat.

Thanks again!

Joe

Apollo
09-23-2014, 04:56 PM
Not sure why you need a 1 1/2" loop, I have two 300 gal GB's that will drain around 150 gals each in just over 3 minutes. My 3/4" fill pipe will then take about 8 minutes to refill the GB's.

How large is your FT? At a flow rate of 86 gals per hour the water turn over in your tank seems insufficient. With such a small pump it seems like you should be able to use a much smaller/inexpensive loops siphon.

I'm still pushing the "Pipe Siphon by Apollo" you could drain it though your side connection. Place the Pipe Siphon in the corner, bury it in the media, then plant radishes, carrots or any plant with a smaller root mass above or around it.

joebob
09-23-2014, 05:04 PM
Hey Apollo,

Really appreciate the suggestion. When you say pipe siphon, what you mean? I assume an interior U-bend. I also have a 3/4" in-pipe from the pump, and I got the idea of doubling it from the U of Hawaii autosiphon paper that mentions that the standpipe needs to be 2x larger than the bell. I made an assumption that the infeed in this case would almost serve as a bell but am seeing the differences now.

Would love it if you could expand on Pipe Siphon by Apollo.

Thanks again!

Joe

Apollo
09-23-2014, 05:14 PM
Joe,

If you go to my site I have more pictures plus a very detail description on the Pipe Siphon. If you have question ask them from that site and I will direct you to the right area to look at.

A much easier way, thanks.

joebob
09-23-2014, 08:03 PM
Hey Apollo,

Do you mind sending a link? Thank you.

Apollo
09-23-2014, 08:27 PM
I'm not a computer person...don't know how to post a link.

But if you click on the "Top" tab to the left, next page, click on the home tap in the green bar (upper left hand side). Next page click on "Forum" (upper right hand side). Next page look in "Recent popular topics". You will find "Pipe Siphon by Apollo" in the 8th position from the top.

I'm sure that there is an easier way...maybe not.

Good Luck

Apollo