PDA

View Full Version : Aquaponics Noob Problem Securing Affnan's Materials

Caedmonball19
09-08-2014, 12:30 PM
Hello all, I have been scouring the internet trying to track down the materials needed for Affnan's new design on his siphon. Amazingly it seems I cannot go anywhere locally to secure even a few of the items at once, but rather pick and choose from a few different places. After reading these forums I was able to find a site called flexpvc.com to purchase the Reducing Bell, but I cannot find anyplace reasonable to purchase the 3" vent cowl he uses. I either find a wholesale distributor or one place that wanted to charge $150 in freight. Can anyone be of assistance on this?

I am looking to start a basement system. So far I have secured the 2 50 Gallon rubbermaid poly totes and my work was getting rid of some fluorescent light fixtures, 100 gallon tote is next on my list to track down at a reasonable price. After that though I need help with these siphon pieces and figuring out a good pump to go with for a system this size.

Apollo
09-08-2014, 12:54 PM
Sounds like your going though a lot of time, energy and money, trying to track down the materials needed for Affnan's new design on his siphon.

I build the "Pipe Siphon by Apollo" and had it working in less than 20 minutes, just out of parts I had laying around. It has been working none stop for over 1 year along with the 2nd one for my other GB. I have not cleaned, tinkered with or even unburied either one of them since I installed them.

I have ran 3 different pumps, added vertigrow towers, whirlpool filter and a duckweed tank. In doing so have diverted pump volume and water pressure away from the Pipe Siphon. It has handled all changes without missing a cycle.

Caedmonball19
09-08-2014, 01:06 PM
Funny you are the one to respond first Apollo as I noticed your post on another thread where you showed the Atrium Grates you use on your system. While I read over your system I wonder if these same Atrium Grates could be used upside down as the Vent Cowls were in Affnan's. Question would be if they fit snug on the 3" upvc pipe or not.

Curious what pumps you have run in your systems and which you like best.

JCO
09-08-2014, 02:53 PM
Welcome to the forum, but I have to ask, where have you been?

You Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:01 am and waited til Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:48 pm to make your first post. That's almost a year.

Apollo would have been able to help you a lot sooner if you would have come on line sooner. Don't forget, we and Apollo love pictures of member builds.

A picture is worth...well you've heard it before so let's see some picture of your setup. :mrgreen:

Apollo
09-08-2014, 04:04 PM
Welcome, Caedmonball19 from Nebraska, glad that you have joined us. May your journey bring you the knowledge that you seek, put a smile up on your face, create hours of pleasure to stimulate your mind, an a healthier life style for your heart...from Apollo__Phoenix, Arizona.

As for the Atrium Grates I got mine at Home Depot, you can easily drill any size hole for your PVC pipe.

I started off with a Pacific Hydrostar 2650 GPH (worked great but had a metal core), 2nd pump was a 2300 GPH same brand (went though 2 pumps, they both shorted out), 3rd pump 1670 GPH same brand (fairly new still about 2 months).

I broke down and bought a GOOD pump it's a CYCLONE POND PUMP TM 2100 GPH, 1.6 AMPS, 3 yr. Warranty. Have not installed it yet, will wait until the other pump quits. Watch your AMP draw on your pump, more Amps = more electric = more $$$$$

If you want to view my set up from start to now, check out “Fire Pit … AP” then “Pipe Siphon by Apollo” and ending with "Got Vertigrow?".

davidstcldfl
09-09-2014, 07:05 AM
Hello Caedmonball19...welcome to the site... :)

Caedmonball19
09-09-2014, 07:13 AM
Hey JCO. Yeah I joined shortly after I attended a small farm workshop that featured a speaker on Aquaponics. It has taken me until now to start securing items for my system. I would take a picture but right now it's just two rubbermaid grow beds that are empty :)

Apollo thanks for the pump info. Also what I was referring to with the atrium grates is if you could turn it upside down from the way you use it and use it like Affnan's Vent Cowls with his system. I just was not sure if the Atrium Grate would fit onto the PVC tight enough. I should clarify this question is for Affnan's new siphon.
http://www.affnanaquaponics.com/2014/09/20-mm-strainerbell-installation.html

Apollo I am toying with the idea of testing both systems since I have 2 growbeds to see which I like better. What size pump would you recommend for my setup whcih would be a 100 gallon fish tank and 2 50 gallon growbeds. I know I need to get a better pump since I will be splitting the water flow between two beds and not just into one. According to another Affnan video he said 1600 l/hr.

EDIT: Hello david and thank you.

Apollo
09-11-2014, 11:53 AM
What does (1600 l/hr. ) translate into gals per hr.? I'm running 2X's my fish tank volume with my set-up now, I was at just over 3X's.(too much elect.)

About 1/2 of the pump water returns directly back to the FT. on an aerator ring. The remanding water leaves the pump; on a 1 1/4 main line, off the main line I have two 1/2" lines that feeds 8 Veritigrow Towers which drains into the GB'S. I than tap the main line with a 1/2" line goes to my Duckweed Tank which return back to FT. as slash down. Main line then goes to the Whirlpool Filter/ Fry Catcher, then to both of my GB's before doing as splash down back into the FT.

Caedmonball19
09-11-2014, 12:03 PM
1600 liters is 422 gallons, which is 4x my tank size (if i stick with a 100 gallon tank), but it would be split between 2 growbeds. I suppose I could also split off like you did and return some to the tank as additional aerating. Or would that still be too much flow. Without having the setup done yet I am guessing that the lift would be 3 feet above the water height.

Apollo
09-11-2014, 12:18 PM
Check the flow rate on your pump with a 3 feet lift, it will drop it some what but it should be a good size pump for you. I'm running a 7' to 8' foot lift with mine and even dropping pump size by 1000 GPH it's operating fine.

You should return 1/3 to 1/2 water directly back to FT for additional aeration. Check the cycle time on your system, my GB's will fill and drain 3X's per hour.

More pump is better than not enough, a lot the siphons will not work with too little water flow. With the "Pipe Siphon" design I think it will work at any flow rate, just change the size of the PVC piping. For your size set up I would think using all 3/4 PVC should work.

topz
09-12-2014, 09:21 PM
Welcome caed where about in Nebraska are you? Deadsled is out west and I'm in Omaha so one of us should have the lay of the land on parts and pieces. Pm me if need be.

Caedmonball19
09-15-2014, 01:05 PM
Thanks topz I am in southeast Nebraska, so you would be closer to me. Any help would be appreciated :) I don't get to Omaha as much as I do Lincoln, but if need be I can always make a special trip up there.

topz
09-17-2014, 09:08 PM
Just finished a hospital in Nebraska city this morning so I get all over.