PDA

View Full Version : a simple mistake killed my koi

topz
06-18-2014, 09:11 PM
Well as the title says I made a mistake. Turned on the hose and walked away. It was only supposed to be a fifty gallon top off. An hour and a half later it was a river running over. Now the big thing is it was near 100° today. I filled the tank with 60° water in the afternoon. Changing the water from near ninety to sixty that fast was just too much. So please be mindful when topping your systems. I know I won't be walking away while filling again.

Apollo
06-18-2014, 10:21 PM
So sorry to hear of your lose. :( I started setting the alarm clock on my smart phone, every time. :idea: It's so easy to get side track even on a 10 minute task.

Roger L.
06-19-2014, 05:26 AM
I use 5 gallon buckets to degas my water and normalize the temperature of the water before adding it to the tank. 10, 5gallon buckets are cheap compared to replacing your koi. Sorry for your setback. "What doesn't kill us only makes us hurt like hell!"

topz
06-19-2014, 08:40 AM
Both very good ideas.

Will be moving some stock around today. Moving some smaller guys up to the bigger tank.

davidstcldfl
06-20-2014, 06:41 AM
Sorry to hear that topz... :(

I ended up using one of these timers..no batteries. Once I set it a few times...I got pretty good at setting how much time was needed for the top off.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Melnor-Mecha ... 5yc1vZc63g (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Melnor-Mechanical-Water-Timer-480-616/100659515?N=5yc1vZc63g)

topz
06-20-2014, 07:32 AM
That's actually a pretty good idea for a lot of different uses. I may grab one while out and about today. Thank you for the thought.

Was able to move four koi from my basement system to the out door system. (I know need pics of both!).

Apollo
06-20-2014, 08:17 AM
After reading the reviews on http://www.homedepot.com/p/Melnor-Mecha...5yc1vZc63g with a lot of customers saying the timer did not shut off! Doug wrote "I bought three of these for watering the lawn, and on all three of them the timer sticks and does not turn off, very disappointed".

I think that I will continue to use my clock set on my smart phone...after my daughter showed me how easy and fast is was to use, I use it all the time.

rocketboy
06-20-2014, 08:27 AM
I use an Orbit Mechanical timer I bought from Lowe's for my garden sprinkler. It will stick on occasion so you have to check it a few minutes after you set it to make sure it is working properly. I usually set it first in the morning then feed my fish in the pond than go back and check.

aquaally
06-23-2014, 05:55 PM
Sorry for your loss, but thank you for posting. Another item on my "Don't do" list. I liked Apollo's idea about using the cell phone, but I don't have any children to teach me that trick! lol aquaally

topz
06-23-2014, 09:40 PM
When I told my wife I had to make a post on it. She asked why and I said so someone else doesn't make the same mistake.

Just a side note she rushed home from work early to help me keep fish moving. Was an act of futility. So I think I'm not the only one hooked.

davidstcldfl
06-24-2014, 03:51 PM
After reading the reviews on http://www.homedepot.com/p/Melnor-Mecha...5yc1vZc63g with a lot of customers saying the timer did not shut off! Doug wrote "I bought three of these for watering the lawn, and on all three of them the timer sticks and does not turn off, very disappointed".

I think that I will continue to use my clock set on my smart phone...after my daughter showed me how easy and fast is was to use, I use it all the time.

That's a shame. Maybe they ended up with a bad batch..?
My 1st one I used for 3 or 4 years till my lawnmower ate it.... :roll:
I have bought a few of them. The ones I've used, usually last a few years...then they seem to start sticking in the 'on' position.

davidstcldfl
06-24-2014, 03:56 PM
Just a side note she rushed home from work early to help me keep fish moving. Was an act of futility. So I think I'm not the only one hooked.

Instead of 'hooked on phonics'...she may be hooked on 'ponics...aquaponics, that is.... :lol: