PDA

View Full Version : almost ready to build, need advice-

mikiomcculloch
05-07-2014, 11:39 AM
Hi all- working on building my greenhouse (12x24) and am preparing to begin my aquaponics obsession. i feel like i've read through every forum and wolfracer's build really spoke to me, so i am basing my build off of his (see attached picture). Per his recommendations, i will be increasing the feeder tube diameter to 2", raising the fish tank (the ibc), and adding a swirl filter.

My questions are-
1) is this a feasible setup using only a airlift pump (glenn martinez style) pumping the water from the sump to the fish tank? (everything else is gravity fed)

2) how would i integrate a duck weed grow bed? I have a spare blue barrel i could use (maybe cut lengthwise?)

My plan is to get the energy use low enough to use a solar powered air pump with a battery back up and have minimal mechanical upkeep. any further assistance is greatly appreciated- Thanks!

Apollo
05-07-2014, 12:01 PM
Welcome, mikiomcculloch from Sacramento, CA...glad that you have joined us. May your journey bring you the knowledge that you seek, put a smile up on your face, create hours of pleasure to stimulate your mind, an a healthier life style for your heart...from Apollo__Phoenix, Arizona.

I would add your duckweed half barrels after the GB's just before the FT. Duckweed will not get into area's that you don't want it in...if it washes out of the duckweed barrels, your fish will just eat it.

If you want to view my set up from start to now, check out “Fire Pit … AP” then “Pipe Siphon by Apollo” and ending with "Got Vertigrow?". Also check out my "Whirlpool Filter / Fry Catcher, W/Pic's."

Apollo
05-11-2014, 05:57 AM
"wolfracer's build really spoke to me", an amazing, well thought out looking AP system!

Not a lot of action on this site lately...with the warmer weather, hopefully everyone out enjoying the sunshine.

mikiomcculloch
05-11-2014, 04:31 PM
yes i agree- it looks great, and i think i can modify it slightly to accommodate a solar-run airlift setup and additional duckweed production without too much altering of the original setup- will get more done in the next couple months as i finish my greenhouse

classg
05-28-2014, 10:07 PM
hi, this is nice post. I want to get more information to maintain my green business successfully to make a good businessmen.

classg
06-03-2014, 07:59 AM
Have you got down the environmental clearance for this project.

topz
06-03-2014, 08:56 PM
Should be a nice set up when done. As for the airlift it should work. I'd love to see pictures of the finished product. Good luck and keep posting!

Classg please put a location in your profile.