PDA

View Full Version : Dill in DWT or NFT?

jvision
03-16-2014, 04:34 PM
Does anyone know of a trick to get dill to grow well? As you can see in my Kitchen Herbs Thread (http://www.diyaquaponics.com/forum/showthread.php?1996-Kitchen-Herbs), the dill isn't doing that great. This is the 2nd system I've tried to grow it in - the last one was a F&D system. Both times it sprouted, and both times it's withering at about 2-3" tall.

In looking at the Kitchen Herbs, could nutrients be too limited? I add some liquid trace fertilizer about once a week, and I feed the fish twice a day. In all my time in the aquarium hobby, I've gotten used to going by how things look to determine if anything is wrong... might I have to break out a test kit? I think the only one I have is Nitrate, would I need to test for P or K?

Thanks!

topz
03-16-2014, 08:29 PM
Flood and drain media beds so far have been the only way I've gotten it to grow. Now I can't keep it down. It didn't take to my nft so I can't help you there.

davidstcldfl
03-21-2014, 04:15 AM
Hi Jason, Knowing your PH is one of the important things. When I first started, my PH was on the high side. Once I got it in the 6.8 - 7 PH range, the plants really started to grow well. Plus, by then, I'm sure my nitrate level was a little higher too.

My friend and I grew dill at Sahib aquaponics. We have mixed systems and I don't remember off hand, if it was in media, rafts or perhaps some of the towers..? Working on the 1st cup of coffee... ;) ...I want to say it was in the towers with a coir mix, and some in the media beds.

jvision
03-21-2014, 06:52 AM
I think getting the pH down in this little system will be difficult. The fish I have in there live in shells, which buffer the pH, and tap water I add is also well buffered and has a pH of 7.6-7.8...
Since it's just a 10gal tank, it's easy to revamp.. will give it some thought over the weekend.