PDA

View Full Version : Hello from India

bri
02-11-2014, 04:13 AM
Hi everybody. I am just beginning to start an aquaponics project here in South India and figured it would be best to introduce myself and my project.

I am planning to start a small aquaponics build here in India using locally sourced materials. The current plan (which is flexible) is a gravity fed system with approximately 1500 liters (400 gal) of water in the fish tank max. I have an action list of things that I need to gather, things that will be potential issues, things that will be issues... Ideally I would love to use coconut husk and make a drip system, but it seems there is much more information out there on gravity systems, and we are looking to get our feet wet with this project.

A big issue is going to be keeping the fish alive considering all of the brownouts here. I have looked at either running the entire system off of a battery backup, or just running an aerator pump off a battery (less power draw). Any suggestions on batteries or pumps to use?

I am also planning on using some of these (http://www.indiamart.com/darshittradingco/water-tanks.html%20) to house my fish, sump, and grow beds. They seem available, hygienic, and UV resistant. Any suggestions?

Anywho, there is much more to go, and I am just really getting started in getting things quoted and material sources identified. I guess Im officially not a lurker anymore...

Brian

Roger L.
02-11-2014, 07:11 AM
Welcome and good luck Brian.

dead_sled
02-11-2014, 07:22 AM
Hi Brian. Welcome. It sounds like to you have a plan that is being put into action. I can't wait to see pics of the progress.

When looking at pumps, make sure it does not have metallic parts that will come in contact with the water. Here in the states, a mag drive pump is a common choice. I am not sure what will be available there. Make sure to size the pump by finding the pump's flow at the head hieight (vertical pumping distance) of your system. A little oversized is usually a good choice. An air pump is also worthwhile to have as well, espcecially if the temperatures will be warm. After you have chosen your pumps, you can calculate the needed size of your battery backup. It may be good to provide sufficient battery capacity to operate the system for twice the expected power outage.

semi
02-11-2014, 07:48 AM
Welcome bri! I too am just beginning and wading through all the good information here. We can make it work! Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

davidstcldfl
02-11-2014, 02:47 PM
Hi Bri... :) ..welcome to the forum

topz
02-11-2014, 11:02 PM
Welcome to the fold!

JCO
02-12-2014, 12:23 AM
Welcome to the forum....pull up a chair and enjoy. :mrgreen: