PDA

View Full Version : Livingroom AP

jvision
01-21-2014, 07:55 AM
My long-term plans for AP at my place include having a decent sized system in my living room, since it has the only south-facing window in my house. Living this far north, the only way I can run a system all year is to have it indoors. My wife is on board with most of my plans, "as long as it looks good". I know a few finishing carpenters, so I think asthetics will be fine; however, visiting with guests and watching TV in the livingroom are 2 things we do a lot of, and I'm concerned that noise may be a factor.
I've done a lot of work with aquariums and sumps, and know how to make them almost silent (durso and herbie drains), but I'm wondering if that'll be possible with a flood and drain system. In the aquarium, then top tank has a constant level, so there's no sound of the siphon breaking, and the return can be placed under water, as the return chamber of the sump tank is typically kept at a constant level using baffles.

Does anyone have any experience keeping an AP system in their livingroom (or any other highly inhabitted room in the house), and are there ways to mitigate the sound of the drain (I'm guessing durso will work the same) and siphon break (this one has me a bit stumped).

Thanks!

Apollo
01-21-2014, 09:02 AM
Is there a way to put your sump tank (pump & GB return) either behind the living room wall, into a 2nd room? Or in a sound proof in closer? Your siphon needs air intake at the end of the pipe going to your sump. It can't be under water to work, plus you need the splash of the water to help oxygenate your water.

jvision
01-21-2014, 07:01 PM
I see what you're saying... having the return submerged will allow the GB drain to work, but it won't start the siphon unless the drain pipe is above the water... but the way a durso works is to introduce air at the end of the drain to prevent the sucking sound at the top. Has anyone tried a durso for a flood and drain GB?

EDIT: I'd be doing a reverse durso - I don't think the siphon would work with a normal durso, but I think it should work reversed
This link shows it in the sump of a reef tank - http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww25 ... C01183.jpg (http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/ww255/gkimble/DSC01183.jpg)

eddiemigue
02-06-2014, 12:19 PM
Have you considered sub-surface continuous flow? This would eliminate the siphon, and would keep water level in the FT.

jvision
02-06-2014, 12:25 PM
Have you considered sub-surface continuous flow? This would eliminate the siphon, and would keep water level in the FT.

My plan was for some larger plants like a fruit tree or two, and figured that a flood & drain system would be the way I'd have to go. Unless someone has experience growing trees in a SSCF system?? I've only seen them in a F&D system, myself.

eddiemigue
02-07-2014, 07:14 AM
How big is your system? I was under the impression that it was a small aquarium setup.

One point that you should consider is that greens in DWC or continual flow are much easier to grow and have much lower lighting requirements than fruiting plants.

jvision
02-07-2014, 09:08 AM
The system isn't built yet. I was planning on using a 100gal tote or stock tank as the FT and maybe the same or something made from wood as the GB.
You may be thinking of my "Kitchen Herbs" set up in a different thread - that's just a 10gal tank with a constant flow system for herbs.... I don't think it'd support a tree. ;)

Speaking of bigger systems, my wife told me last night that she wants me to set up an IBC system in the basement with Tilapia... I asked her how she plans on getting the IBC through the standard sized doors in our house... :) Guess I'll be trying the build downstairs!

Roger L.
02-07-2014, 09:27 AM
I built my 275gal tote system in my garage and moved it to my basement. I cut the bottom part of the frame off to use for the grow bed part and the top of the frame for the fish tank support. The opposit for the plastic tank. It was a tight squeez but it did fit. Best of luck.