PDA

View Full Version : South central Va here

lpn_fish
01-20-2014, 07:38 PM
Hi from south central Va (Danville).
Probably will jus be nosin around to learn as I don't know anything or have anything yet.
Have a relative whos gonna give me a ibc to tear apart, plan to use river rock for beds with some red wigglers to help out. don't know what kind of fish(either hybrid striped bass or tilapia) to use or when to start as it will have to be outside.
And im wonderin, has anyone ever grown potatoes in one of these, also how many fish go in an ibc container????

Apollo
01-20-2014, 11:01 PM
Not sure on your 2 questions, but will be tagging your post to find out more about potatoes. Sure would be nice not to have to dug them out of the ground, with the media in the GB all you should have to do is pull on the plant.

Roger L.
01-21-2014, 09:07 AM
Apollo I will be watching too. I would do potatoes too if possible.

Apollo
01-21-2014, 09:49 AM
I'm please to say my red wigglers worms are doing great in my GB's. I dug out a area 12" deep when I was doing my Vertigrow System, found them 4X larger + some baby wigglers.

Note! Look how clean my media is, no sign of any build up yet. Still...I'm in the process of building a Whirlpool Filter / Fry Catcher.

dead_sled
01-21-2014, 10:14 AM
Hi from south central Va (Danville).
Probably will jus be nosin around to learn as I don't know anything or have anything yet.
Have a relative whos gonna give me a ibc to tear apart, plan to use river rock for beds with some red wigglers to help out. don't know what kind of fish(either hybrid striped bass or tilapia) to use or when to start as it will have to be outside.
And im wonderin, has anyone ever grown potatoes in one of these, also how many fish go in an ibc container????

If you haven't checked this out yet, it is a great place to learn.
http://diyaquaponics.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=112

Apollo
01-28-2014, 09:58 PM
Hey Guys,

I was clearing out my Organic Garden today and found potatoes, two smaller ones about the size of a peanut were just starting to sprout tiny leafs. I rinsed them off and planted them into my GB, I also planted 6 small strawberries plants and 3 small lettuce plants into my towers.

Question by putting glass or clear plastic jars or containers upside down over small plants in your GB's, is the additional humidity and increase temp. good or bad?

Next question, how come with over 2,000 members only about a dozen or so members ever respond to questions or concerns being posted? There are hundreds of viewers per topic but only 1 to 10 members will ever reply.

P.S. Special thanks goes out to all of the members that do take the time to lend a hand from afar. Much Appreciated!

topz
01-29-2014, 10:15 PM
The rest are shadow people! Beware not to spook them. Lol

Apollo
01-30-2014, 08:45 AM

That's got to be the funniest reply I've ever heard :lol: I'm glade that I didn't ruffle your feathers! It would be nice to have more participation on the site...well I've finished with all of my AP Set-up, Organic Garden, Rain Barrels, Whirlpool filter / Fry Catcher, Quail Cage and Bird Plucker. Only took me 10 months, time to grow something and start chasing the $$$$ again.

Thanks for all the help...Apollo has left the building!

davidstcldfl
01-31-2014, 09:27 AM

:lol: ...since my computer died, I haven't been on much. I'm amazed by how much time I've saved between 'not' reading/posting here, FB and a few gardening posts. But, I do miss it.
I'm at the library using their computer and this time I don't have anyone sitting next to me talking to themselves... :roll: :lol: