PDA

View Full Version : Self Sustainable Breeding Tank

Apollo
12-28-2013, 05:39 PM
Once placed inside my properly maintained main fish tank, it’s ready for my breeders and the right amount of food. 500 watt tank heater is attached to the bottom of my 50 gal breeder tank, heating it to the right temperature. Radiant heat will rise through the bottom & up the sides, then provide a lesser heat source for the 850 gal main tank. Beneath the breeder tank I had enough room to place another breeding pot. Providing the main fish tank with a nicely heated corner for others to take advantage of. Will give it a try come April, until then I’ll use it when needed to keep tank above 55 degrees.

Made from heavy shade screen, ½ PVC parts filled with ¼ inch gravel, 2 small pieces of 1 inch PVC & one 500 watt heater.

Sounds like it should work…wish me luck…I’ll keep you all posted, thanks for all your help.

For those wishing to see my set up from start to now, check out “Fire Pit … AP” then “Pipe Siphon by Apollo.”

I HAVE NOT FAILED. I'VE JUST FOUND 10,000 WAYS THAT WON'T WORK. Thomas A Edison

foodchain
12-29-2013, 07:13 AM
You don't have to isolate your breeders. They will breed in the main tank just fine. Isolating them is more for our purposes than theirs.

The screen may also reduce water flow between the two "pools" in the picture.

Apollo
12-29-2013, 08:26 AM
My plan was just to let nature run its course in the main FT. But decided to run a back up plan, once I have frys in the breeding tank I remove the breeders. Frys are now in a safer environment (no pump or hungry fish), warmer, easier to catch area.

I also want to restrict the water flow just enough to allow that tank to maintain warmer water than the main tank.

Roger L.
12-29-2013, 09:14 AM
I like the tank in a tank idea. Does the shade netting really allow the extra heat to be maintained in the smaller tank? It would seem to be sucked out into the main tank to me.

Apollo
12-29-2013, 09:57 AM
Not sure yet, with the water running into the top of the breeding tank and one of the GB's dumping 150 gals of water just 4 1/2' away ( 4 X's per hr.), right at it. I check the temp this morning and on the surface of the water it was just 1 degree warmer. I might try plugging up the aerator in that corner a check it again. But with the heater in the bottom corner of the tank it should make things warmer in that area.

I was looking for a 2nd tank, heater, filter to buy...too much money and trouble. I had some shade screen and PVC pipes laying around and for less than $20 I build my own tank, plus the heater which I needed anyway. The temp got down to 38 degrees last night but the heater raised the temp from 65 to 68 in the main FT... to 69 in the breeder tank, in just over 12 hours

Apollo
02-15-2014, 11:41 PM
500 watt heater makes a difference...but never got the water in FT above 68. Started looking at the cost to run it 24/7 but at $50 per month have decided to cut back on the run time.

If I don't do a flood and drain into the night time hours and just do a constant flow with my battery backup at 150 gals of water per hr. to each GB. Should help out with the heat lose at night, not sure if it will damage my system. Any words of wisdom as to what damage this might cause.

foodchain
02-18-2014, 03:05 PM
So why not just run it at night? When the water is cooler. Water typically runs at 7 degrees cooler than ambient air. I don't run mine all the time, and I use a 1000 watt stock tank heater.

Apollo
03-03-2014, 11:33 AM
I know nothing about growing Duck Weed :o ...would it be possible to grow it in my breeding tank :? Sense there are no fish in there at this time, I may just let them breed in the main tank and then catch the fry's in my Whirlpool Filter / Fry Catcher :idea: . Then place them into the breeding tank with the duck weed...let me know what you think :lol: .

davidstcldfl
03-04-2014, 04:52 AM
Hi Apollo, when I raised duck weed, the only thing I didn't like was...I eneded up with parts of dead plants in the bottom of the tank. I ended up raising it in a kiddie pool by it's self. It was pretty easy to raise.

Your seperate breeding arae should catch any parts/dead plants before they get in the main tank. Just a note...The duck weed likes the 'surface' of the water to be somewhat still.

Apollo
03-05-2014, 11:38 AM
"Just a note...The duck weed likes the 'surface' of the water to be somewhat still."

I moved to breeding tank about 6" out from the corner and with the smaller pump my aerators does not run water that far. About the only movement of water in the breeding tank has is that it will rise and fall as the GB's drains and fills.

1. Can you have duck weed and fry's in the same area? (breeding tank)
2. The duck weed debris at the bottom of your tank...I have an 9" bottom feeder fish that is keeping the tank really clean. Would he take care of that problem?

Apollo
03-05-2014, 11:40 AM
How do you delete a post?????????????????????

How do you use the Quote Tap to only do a small section?????????????????????

I moved to breeding tank about 6" out from the corner and with the small pump my aerators do not run water that far. About the only movement of water in the breeding tank is that it will rise and fall as the GB's drain & fill.

davidstcldfl
03-05-2014, 02:31 PM
[quote="Apollo"]"Just a note...The duck weed likes the 'surface' of the water to be somewhat still."

I moved to breeding tank about 6" out from the corner and with the smaller pump my aerators does not run water that far. About the only movement of water in the breeding tank has is that it will rise and fall as the GB's drains and fills.

1. Can you have duck weed and fry's in the same area? (breeding tank)
2. The duck weed debris at the bottom of your tank...I have an 9" bottom feeder fish that is keeping the tank really clean. Would he take care of that problem?[/quote

I would think the fry would like the duckweed. It would be a place for them to hide.

I'm not sure about the bottom feeder eating it...it might ?

Apollo
04-16-2014, 07:31 PM
Is there any one duckweed that grows better here in AZ? Do Tilapia prefer one over another?

jvision
04-17-2014, 01:11 PM
Lima minor is said to be the fastest growing vascular plant there is, with doubling rates as low as 4hrs with ideal conditions. It does get everywhere, tho, b/c it's so small. If you can find Lima major, it grows almost as easily, but is easier to keep out of places you don't want it b/c it's significantly bigger. In Canada, you can get either from many aquarium hobbyists, so I imagine it'd be similar in the US... know anyone with an aquarium that has live plants growing? There's a good chance they'll have some duckweed. If not, check the local pet store. If they sell live aquarium plants, there's a good chance they'll have duckweed. Lima minor is by far the more common. You may have to do a little leg work to find Lima major.