PDA

View Full Version : Building first new system

mharmon0011
12-02-2013, 07:06 PM
So after much research I have bought a 275 ibc and 3 55 gallon drumbs. Plan is 3 drumbs become 6 beds and ibc as fish tank. My questions are as follows..
I have done the displacement numbers on the growbeds, but I thought I could avoid a sump(I really want to setup the system but don't have money for another IbC) if I don't cut any of the ibc for a growbed, then I plan on running a timed standpipe system, to avoid bell siphens, and I just feel comfortable not constantly flooding certain plants.. My math says the tank shouldn't drop bellow 200 gallons without a sump obv. Is this safe and will the 6 growbeds (3 55 gal barrels split) approach me near what I need, I thought the more surface the better for fish. and how much can I expand? How heavily stocked (final yield) would this system allow for tilapia and a few catfish? If u have secondary tanks ect, can you repopulate your tanks every time you harvest? Basically will the fish spawn, and if done correctly, will you completely refresh your stock each cycle avoiding having to buy new fingerlings each cycle?? Any sugggestions on a sump, if u think the change of water level or the benefits of the sump are so much that I should just wait untill I can install with the initial system? Assuming I need another 275 ibc (any suggestions on cheap alternative), and if I cut the 2nd and make a growbed out of the top, will the 250 gallon fish tank allow for the ibc growbed and 6 barrels with a sump?

Sorry if too much, just constantly having questions and can't find this exact system. It seems to me the starter IbC systems, with top as growbed, don't come near the surface area of growbeds needed for a tank that size, plus it would annoy me quickly as I'm eager to try all sorts of different plant options and one growbed for all that doesn't seem worth it to me.

mharmon0011
12-02-2013, 07:12 PM
Also, this might sound weird, but I'm also seeing if anyone might be willing to talk to a newbie, with good functional understanding, on the phone cuz it may take way longer to write all my stuff then a quick chat. I live in VA if anyone with a system near by or similar climate to discuss greenhouses and planting schedules.

Roger L.
12-03-2013, 04:29 AM
Welcome to the forum. I am like you fairly new to this adventure. You will find there are many knowledgable people on here willing to help you. Be sure to get DIY Aquaponics and also read Oliver's Aquaponics 101 found in the portal index. These will help you with you quantity of fish verses grow bed questions. I too started out with a 275 gallon IBC and used the top as my grow bed. Now that I have that going my efforts will be to expand my growing area for more variety of plants. I see that you are very anxious but I encourage you to find patience and do things right the first time to avoid having to redo your system or even worse, become disalutioned with this addiction. Again welcome.

eddiemigue
12-03-2013, 12:22 PM
Welcome to the forum and success with this new venture!

Have you considered a continuous flow system, which would keep the water level in the FT from fluctuating? Also, I'd recommend some dedicated filtration, which you can add with one or two more 55 gal drums. As far as stocking rates, that's a tough question because there are so many factors that go into this. I have tilapia and have gone with a 5gal FT/fish stocking rate, which is working well thus far (started my current system in Feb 2013), but note that I have dedicated solids and bio filtration. Also, I am new to this game as well, and am only sharing my experience, not offering expert advice by any means.

I second Roger's sentiments to have patience and read some more/get more input before plowing ahead. Much better to take your time and do things right initially than to deal with the frustration of fixing problems later. There will be a learning curve regardless, but you can do a lot to minimize the growing pains.

mharmon0011
12-06-2013, 04:20 PM
why does no one use the following setup for a 2 ibc system???

Cut both IBC's same size with 10 inch growbeds on top of both FT and Sump. Have a Solid Lift Overflow into sump (secondary connection tube up high for security), sump pumps up to growbeds, growbeds drain to Fish Tank (in a spray bar drip fashion to hopefully add a little oxygen to fish tank).

My thinking is then I dont have to bury anything, the trasition of water from SLO pulling from bottum of FT to Sump and the growbeds draing back into FT will create a nice circulation, the pump will provide enough pressure to ensure all the growbeds are receiving adequate water supplies (I will have valves on each) and allow for more growbeds as I have 4 cut 55 gal barrels I will also have and if they vary in height of growbed the pump will allow that rather then gravity from Fish tank is typical CHOP or CHIFT PIST. I will have simple filters for where the growbeds fill to pick up thicker solids. Also, I found a great water pump 2500 gph, with minimal lost at 5 feet, from the plumping supplier around here. Question is, and sorry if stupid, but if I have a pump that may be a little over-kill, what happens to the back pressure when I limit the flow into the beds with valves?

First system, really want to move foward as I have taken the advice and really looked into everything, and have been staring at my two IBC's and barrells wanting to move foward. I know its most important to device they layout before I start hacking away. I rented the tools for this weekend, saw zaw, so please help as soon as possible my great experts.

eddiemigue
12-06-2013, 09:30 PM
If you have filtration between the FT and the sump, then the extra flow from the sump could be diverted to the FT for extra aeration.

mharmon0011
12-16-2013, 04:13 PM
Anyone used permatill for grow media? I have read not to use permalite, but this permatill stuff states for aqua gardening and have local supply. Would be 100 to fill my grow beds with permatill, 400 for hydroton, and 30ish for 3" gravel. Any suggestions?????

topz
12-16-2013, 09:58 PM
Have you considered lava rock. Fairly light, cheapish, and ph neutral. Just a thought.

JCO
12-17-2013, 01:24 AM
I use red lava rock from Lowes' :mrgreen:

Lordshandyman
12-22-2013, 09:18 PM
Welcome to the addiction...

Sorry if too much, just constantly having questions and can't find this exact system. It seems to me the starter IbC systems, with top as growbed, don't come near the surface area of growbeds needed for a tank that size, plus it would annoy me quickly as I'm eager to try all sorts of different plant options and one growbed for all that doesn't seem worth it to me.
Ask away, that's what the forum is all about. I agree with you about the starter IBC system lacking grow space. I find myself trying to figure out how I can increase my growing space and I have two 3x8x1 growbeds already.

Also, I found a great water pump 2500 gph, with minimal lost at 5 feet, from the plumping supplier around here. Question is, and sorry if stupid, but if I have a pump that may be a little over-kill, what happens to the back pressure when I limit the flow into the beds with valves?

I started out with a large pump just like you, but found that I had to throttle it way back (with a valve) or I flooded my fishtank. If you have to throttle it back, you just waste energy that's all. I don't think the pump cares if you are pumping 5' but have a valve restricting the flow to half or less, or it is pumping 15'. I had a @ 150 watt pump, but later downsized to less then 50 watt pump and it is sufficient, and I could use the money that it saves. Just for a quick visual... imagine three 50 watt light bulbs burning 24/7 7 days a week (with two of them painted black), or one 50 watt light bulb burning.

I use butterfly valves to control my water to the growbeds, but didn't install a swirl filter between the gb and ft. So once a week or more, I have to completely open the valves then try to set them back to the correct flow, otherwise they stop up completely.

Also, this might sound weird, but I'm also seeing if anyone might be willing to talk to a newbie, with good functional understanding, on the phone cuz it may take way longer to write all my stuff then a quick chat. I live in VA if anyone with a system near by or similar climate to discuss greenhouses and planting schedules.
If you would like to chat with a fellow AP'er, then PM me and I'll give you my number. I may not be able to help with local info, but have some experience with AP and construction in general. Most of my post of my system got lost when the diyaquaponics got hacked a while back.

Oh, if you could draw out what you have in mind and post pics of it, then I am sure more people would be willing to chime in... sometimes it is hard to visualize what someone else has visualized by just words alone. After all, pictures speak a thousand words. :D

Lordshandyman
12-22-2013, 09:25 PM
Anyone used permatill for grow media? I have read not to use permalite, but this permatill stuff states for aqua gardening and have local supply. Would be 100 to fill my grow beds with permatill, 400 for hydroton, and 30ish for 3" gravel. Any suggestions?????
I used 1" gravel for the bottom half and 3/4 for the top half. That cost me plenty here in southern Florida. Seems like creek gravel is just about worth its weight in gold in these here parts. Now sand, we got sand, cheap. I am originally from Missouri, and it about makes me want to cry for the price we have to pay for creak gravel or good quality hay here in Naples. I guess on the flip side, clean silica sand in Mo was pretty expensive, and fresh seafood was practically unheard of. ;)