PDA

View Full Version : Cat Mint

Ironfish
10-31-2009, 09:59 AM
Hi,

Has anyone tried cat mint in their system? My wife was interested in growing some.

Ironfish

jackalope
10-31-2009, 04:44 PM
Is that the same as catnip? I've never heard of cat mint :?

Ironfish
10-31-2009, 06:32 PM
Hi Jackalope,

You're right! The mind and the hands don't always work together.

Ironfish

jackalope
10-31-2009, 06:57 PM
Hi Jackalope,

You're right! The mind and the hands don't always work together.

Ironfish Cat Mint is a legitimate name for it .... you're right even if you thought you were wrong :lol: :lol:

It is the same thing! It is from England originally, it's called Cat Mint (for tea) and Catnep - the article I read ( Clik ;) (http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/c/catmin36.html)) said that cats will attack a transplanted or divided one, but won't bother with one which has been planted from a seed :? Weird :o :o Also, Rats hate the smell of it, won't bother it even if they're starving. They recommend planting it all around your garden if you have rat problems, and they won't bother the garden.

I had a pilot friend who drank Catnip Tea for a few days before going to take his FAA physical, to lower his blood pressure ..... kinda cheatin, but I guess it works, he never failed his physical as long as I knew him .........

Sounds like a good herb to have around .... maybe I'll try it next Spring :D :D

Ironfish
11-01-2009, 04:40 AM
jackalope,

Thanks for the input, I'll give it a try.

Ironfish

badflash
11-02-2009, 02:38 PM
I would avoid it myself. Catnip is quite invasive. Once you have it you can't get rid of it and the roots get into everything. Plant it out back some place away from anything you care about or you'll be fighting it forever. I've got a patch I've actively been trying to kill for 10 years. I'm losing.

Ironfish
11-02-2009, 03:50 PM
Hi Badflash,

I will keep that in mind and try to talk my wife out of it.

Ironfish

jackalope
11-05-2009, 08:51 PM
I would avoid it myself. Catnip is quite invasive. Once you have it you can't get rid of it and the roots get into everything. Plant it out back some place away from anything you care about or you'll be fighting it forever. I've got a patch I've actively been trying to kill for 10 years. I'm losing.

That being the case, I guess it would be a good herb to plant in an aquaponics setup ..... it would be an easier plant to eradicate :lol: :lol:

badflash
11-06-2009, 12:25 PM
Skip the middle man and never start. You must have missed the parts about the roots clogging up your pipes... The stuff is all pain and no gain. Besides, I'm alergic to cats :lol:

Oxide
07-12-2013, 07:48 PM
Basil, parsley, cat mint and (stinging) nettle are all essential to basic Italian cooking. I just can't get myself wrapped around the whole stinging nettles thing. Read that if you grab the plant aggressively there is no stinging -- yeah, you try it and let us know how that worked for you. :D Too many memories of my youth by the river with the nettles. And, yeah, I have seen nettle seeds for sale. :o

Oh, cat mint -- saute a clove of chopped garlic and a sprig of chopped parsley in some olive oil. Add a lb of chopped porcini/boletus (or quartered button mushrooms) and a pinch of salt, cover and cook slowly for about 15-minutes. Add a sprig or two of chopped cat mint, stir and cook uncovered for another 10 minutes. ;)

JCO
07-12-2013, 11:56 PM
OK, and then what do you do with that "concoction"? Do cats really like it? :lol: :mrgreen: