PDA

View Full Version : cherry shrimp for algae control?

tmcmaster
12-02-2013, 05:51 AM
Has anyone had luck or experience with using Red/Cherry Shrimp (Neocaridina heteropoda) as algae control in their fish tanks? I picked up 10 of them this weekend to see how they would work in my greenhouse system, which got pretty thick with algae over the summer.

aquahealth
12-02-2013, 07:09 AM
I put one fresh water snail in my Aquafarm and it is now crystal clear. If you don't know what the Aquafarm is just google it.

Oliver
12-02-2013, 12:46 PM
We use Tilapia for algae control.

Oliver

tmcmaster
12-03-2013, 05:35 AM
I WISH my water was warm enough for tilapia...

Oliver
12-05-2013, 03:16 PM

This begs the question, "how warm is your water".

Oliver

tmcmaster
12-06-2013, 06:18 AM

This begs the question, "how warm is your water".

Oliver

Mid 50's - Low 60's

The hybrid striped bass seem to like it, but I know it isn't warm enough for tilapia without external heat being applied, and that would defeat my goals of being as 'off grid' as possible... :D

JCO
12-07-2013, 10:25 AM
As long as it doesn't get down to 50 and stay there, Blue Tilapia will do just fine. The deeper the water the better. Also they hardly eat at all at that temp. Last year I had my inground swimming pool loaded with them here in NE Fl. and the night temps got down into the 20s more than once (but the day temps were up in the 50s & 60s) and never lost the first one; of course the deep end of the pool dept was about 9'. :mrgreen:

Roger L.
12-07-2013, 10:50 AM
JCO with the pool being the fish tank, do you ever throw on a mask and snorkel and swim with the fishes?

JCO
12-07-2013, 02:12 PM
Too dangerous...they eat anything that gets in the water...anything...stray cats, dogs ... even tadpoles. The pool is always full of frogs and frog eggs after every rainfall during warm weather....one day the eggs hatch and there are millions...a few days later....nada..! :mrgreen:

foodchain
12-29-2013, 02:49 PM
Mosambiques tolerate the cold for short periods. The larger the water volume, the longer it takes to change temp. The slower moving it is, the longer it stays warm.

IF you don't want tilapia...fine...but it's not an ability issue.
Snails will do it....make sure you have the right kind. Some are live bearers, some are egg layers. Some only eat other snails as is the case with the assassin snail.
There's river sucker fish, they eat algae. And I saw them in Glasgow, MT so I know they tolerate the cold just fine. They are in the Milk River there and at the damn.
Young sunfish will "graze" on it too, but they prefer meaty foods.

It's easier to advise on ways to deal with algae if you know what type of algae you have.