PDA

View Full Version : Hello from KS!

error4o4
11-18-2013, 08:00 PM
Hello all, newbie here. I live in NE KS, grew up on a small farm not far from here. I'm brand new to aquaponics, as well as gardening and raising fish. I'm a project engineer for a commodities company and have always been interested in inefficiency. Several months ago I began reading about efficient methods of growing food, and came across aquaponics and have been very impressed. In early September, I bought a setup from backtotheroots.com to check it out. So far, I've had great luck with the basil and wheat grass, but the lettuce slowed dramatically. The original betta fish is still alive and doing well.

My wife and I are expecting a son in January, our first child, and are shopping for a house. The plan is to have some more room for some food production, probably some combination of aquaponics, traditional gardening, chickens, etc. I'll probably be mostly a lurker, trying to gain all the knowledge I can. I'm really looking forward to reading everything I can get my hands on.

Bob

Aloha Don
11-19-2013, 02:39 PM
Welcome to the addiction and congrats coming your way in January....Let the games begin!!!

JCO
11-20-2013, 01:34 PM
Welcome to the forum...sit back and enjoy the learn experience :mrgreen:

misterguppy
12-13-2013, 09:07 PM
Welcome. I am in Kearney, MO just north of liberty. Would be willing to help if needed with info.

Lordshandyman
12-22-2013, 09:37 PM
Welcome to the addiction...

And congratulations on the new addition in January. I actually started AP because we were expecting our first child. We wanted to be able to eat fish without the mercury and other harmful extras, and have pesticide and gmo free veggies. I did slightly underestimate how much time a little one takes, but they are well worth it. And with proper training, I expect him to be out working me on planting veggies and harvesting fish. We have just recently gotten two milk goats, and am getting ready to build a chicken coup in my nonexistent spare time. :D

I am not sure if it is possible to just be a "lurker" once the addiction sets in.

As for your lettuce not looking good, I take it you are growing in doors?
What kind of lighting are you using?
What kind of AP system do you have?
Have you tested your water quality?

error4o4
12-29-2013, 05:11 PM
Thanks for warm welcome, everyone.

As for your lettuce not looking good, I take it you are growing in doors?
What kind of lighting are you using?
What kind of AP system do you have?
Have you tested your water quality?

Yes, I'm growing indoors. There's a small side-table in our kitchen that is home to my micro-system.
I'm using a 24" T5 right now (http://www.bonsaioutlet.com/grow-light-system-24-inch/).
The system I'm using is the kit from backtotheroots.com (https://www.backtotheroots.com/shop/aquafarm).
I bought a basic API testing strip kit to get started, and test the water weekly. I've taken water to the local pet store a couple times to verify results. From what I've seen, the water is very hard, and pH is pretty high (8.0-8.2). I've been working to lower it, but it's been a bit of a struggle so far. Since posting the original post, the betta fish died. Before he passed, I also added a bushy nose pleco. When the betta kicked the bucket, I added a black mystery snail and 3 black phantom tetras. I was gone for a few days, my son decided to show up early, and the fish were overfed. The pleco and snail both died. However, the tetras are doing great.

I was gifted a 40 gallon tank for christmas that I'd like to setup next. I need to figure out how to reliably lower the pH of our tap water beforehand, though. The idea is to setup a shelving system, the fish tank on the bottom, growbeds on the above shelves. I'll probably keep decorative fish, unless anyone has ideas about growing something edible, and worthwhile, in such a small tank.

Apollo
12-29-2013, 07:11 PM
Well congratulations on all your projects, I started up about the same time frame as you. My plants are just starting to improve as my PH levels began to drop from 8.2 to 8.0. From what I've been told / read and what I'm seeing on my set up as your systems cycles in the PH level will fix it self, just give it time.