PDA

View Full Version : Testing cheap solar heater idea - time will tell if it works

gpratt
10-17-2013, 12:23 PM
An update on my latest addition ... cheapo solar water heater. Time will tell on how well it works. Cost $66 for 100 ft of drain pipe from HD.

Finished digging a 100' ditch for drain pipe a few months back so the black pipe was still hanging around in my head.

It all started when my fish stopped coming to the surface to grab food. First started by checking the water readings - all OK. Oxygen problem maybe but nothing in the system has changed and the temps are cooler so shouldn't be an issue.

Initial status - tank temp 73.5
Status on day of install - tank 74.5 water in pipe before circulating water through it 95 F.
Stats today - sunny day 2PM - tank temp 77.8 water from pipe into solids filter 90 F.

gpratt
10-17-2013, 12:25 PM
More pics

dead_sled
10-17-2013, 01:23 PM
Good idea. I appreciate how you made use of what you had.

I can't quite tell from the pictures where the water in the heater comes from. Does it come directly from the FT and then to the filter?

gpratt
10-17-2013, 01:44 PM
The water starts with the 1/2 pipe dumping into the open end af a 4" drain pipe flows around the whole system then drops into the solids filter barrel on the back side by the fence. From there it goes into the sump tank( the lowest one). Sump tank gets pumped to FTs, growbeds, breeding tank, and water heater. All the water from fish tanks are gravity feed into solids filter then sump tank. It's pretty damn ugly but if it works I can live with it.

Apollo
10-17-2013, 10:14 PM
Hi, I'm kind of new to all of this and I have been told that my water temp. which was running 76 - 78 needed to be cooler. With the cooler night time temps my water is now running 72 -74, with no deference in the fishes swimming or eating activities.

I have about 50 (four inch) Hybrid Pink Tilapia's and 8 (three inch) Gold Fish, they seem to be doing fine. About 70% will surface anytime I walk up to the tank when their hungry. I read that the optimal temp 74 - 80 for the Tilapia & 65 - 75 for the Gold Fish. I have some extra black pond liner that I was going to cover 1/2 of the fish tank during the day to heat the water. At night I have a spar cover I can put over the tank to hold the heat in.

My system is not fully cycled in yet, my readings are: PH 8.2 / Ammonia 0.25 / Nitrite 0 / Nitrate 60. My question is should I bring the temp up to 75 which is great for both fish types or wait until it finishes cycling in and my PH & Ammonia levels are lower?

For more info on my set up & pic. you will find them under the topic "Pipe Siphon by Apollo".

Thanks Apollo, PS Looking good.

dead_sled
10-18-2013, 06:10 AM
The water starts with the 1/2 pipe dumping into the open end af a 4" drain pipe flows around the whole system then drops into the solids filter barrel on the back side by the fence. From there it goes into the sump tank( the lowest one). Sump tank gets pumped to FTs, growbeds, breeding tank, and water heater. All the water from fish tanks are gravity feed into solids filter then sump tank. It's pretty damn ugly but if it works I can live with it.

I see. Thanks. Do you shut off the flow to the heater when the solar energy is low? Water flowing through the heater during low solar hours would likely cool the water.