PDA

View Full Version : 100% Alive to 95% Dead in 12hrs.

Apollo
10-05-2013, 12:13 PM
This is my 19 cent Goldfish that I used as a test fish 35 days ago. She was doing great, went from 1" to 4"s in one month. Was looking just fine when I feed them last night, she's the largest fish in the tank next to my bottom feeder that is 2X larger. Not sure what happened, why or what to do now.

Any help would be appreciated . Thanks Apollo

Apollo
10-05-2013, 01:36 PM
Well...lets make it from 100% Alive to Dead in 13 hrs. My PH started @ 7.4 35 days ago, was @ 8.4 on 9-20-13, 8.3 on 9-30-13 to 8.2 now. Ammonia has stayed @ 0.25 or less, Nitrite has always be @ 0 and Nitrate has made it to about 30ppm.

Fish looks like it had head trauma, not sure if maybe it got into my netting around the pump and when I pulled the pump to clean it she got smashed. But the fish was also missing some scales, I could have sworn she was fine just a few hours before when I feed them.

I re-did the netting around my pump, just in case.

David - WI
10-05-2013, 04:04 PM
Look here: http://www.cnykoi.com/calculators/calcnh3c.asp

If your ammonia is .25 and your temperature is anywhere near 75F (just guessing from your location that your water is probably over 75F?)... then at 8.2 or 8.4 pH; you're in the toxic range. I think you need to get your pH and/or temperature down

Apollo
10-05-2013, 05:42 PM
Thanks David,

The chart will come in handy. My temp is at 72 tonight was a little lower this morning, my FT is about 1300 gals in ground so it stays cooler then any above ground. I do know that my system is not fully cycle in yet, the PH is slowly coming down but my Ammonia has always been at or just below 0.25. The fish has grown about 2 to 3 X's their size in the last 35 days, should I back down on their feed?

I have 50 Pink Tilapia and 7 Gold fish they all seem to be doing fine. I did lose 2 of my smaller Tilapia on two separate occasion both was after feed them lettuce. They take so much time eating it I just decided to leave the small piece in the tank. Wouldn't be doing that anymore.

For pictures of my set-up do a search for "Pipe Siphon by Apollo" Thanks Again

Apollo
10-06-2013, 09:22 PM
New up date...my Ammonia has been at or near 0.25 for about 30 days. Never knew that was on the high side until I viewed the chart that David - WI sent me http://www.cnykoi.com/calculators/calcnh3c.asp. Thanks Again. I cut back on their food by 70% and in 24 hrs. the level drop to almost zero. I have notice that a few of the smaller fish that used to play dead at the bottom are now more active. Glad I got you guys out there.

I HAVE NOT FAILED. I'VE JUST FOUND 10,000 WAYS THAT WON'T WORK. Thomas A Edison

David - WI
10-07-2013, 05:17 AM
[quote="Apollo"]New up date...my Ammonia has been at or near 0.25 for about 30 days. Never knew that was on the high side until I viewed the chart that David - WI sent me http://www.cnykoi.com/calculators/calcnh3c.asp. Thanks Again. I cut back on their food by 70% and in 24 hrs. the level drop to almost zero. I have notice that a few of the smaller fish that used to play dead at the bottom are now more active. Glad I got you guys out there.

That's cool but (I think) really it's your pH that's high. If you look at the chart for a pH around 6.8 or 7.2 than your ammonia would not be an issue even a 1.0 ppm and 80F.

Nate Storey has some great videos, this one was an eye-opener: http://youtu.be/zP1rUMyklyc?t=2m

Apollo
10-07-2013, 05:54 AM
This is all new to me, but I was thinking that the PH would correct itself as my system completes its cycle. Doesn't it take 6 - 8 weeks the cycle a new system? Mine is just now at the 5 week mark and has been slowly dropping over the last 2 weeks.

David - WI
10-07-2013, 06:25 AM
Possibly, but if you're cycling with fish in your system, you have to try to keep them alive the whole time! ;)

If you could get the pH down even into the mid-to-high 7's in the mean time; then the ammonia would be much less of a concern - otherwise you'll really have to stay on top of the ammonia levels, I guess.

Apollo
10-07-2013, 06:44 AM
What is the best way to lower the PH? Water temp is staying between 70 to 72 and will be cooling off more as the weather changes.

Aloha Don
10-19-2013, 11:20 AM
I have used shell grit to buffer my ph...It works slowly ...Just as we want it to. I use sea shells and break them up and place them under flowing water
I also hear eggshells work good to buffer the PH.

Apollo
10-19-2013, 12:17 PM
I thought you could use shell grit or eggshells to buffer low ph...to bring it higher. Does it work both ways?

Aloha Don
10-19-2013, 12:47 PM
shells will buffer the acidic water to about 7-7.2. You are correct.
The nitrification process as your system matures will naturally lower the ph.
personally...I do not think I would worry too much about it at this point.
I dont think the fish death was caused by a ph issue...
Just my opinion

Apollo
10-28-2013, 11:03 PM
Thanks Aloha Don,

Well, things are going well...no more floaters. I'm going to keep only the "Pipe Siphon by Apollo" post updated. To all that want to veiw my set up or follow my story line, I hope you'll join me there :arrow: .

I HAVE NOT FAILED. I'VE JUST FOUND 10,000 WAYS THAT WON'T WORK. Thomas A Edison