PDA

View Full Version : Question about pH

nadav
09-28-2013, 01:08 PM
I hope this is in the appropriate section. I recently found out about aquaponics. To get started, I posted on my local email list to see if anyone would be interested in giving away an old fish tank. To my surprise, a guy gave me a fish tank, with fish still in it, and a whole bunch of other supplies to keep it going strong. I tested the pH using the handy dandy kit that the guy provided, and see that the pH is well over 8. I changed out part of the water yesterday, and the pH is back up again. The fish seem fine, but from what I have read, this seems really really high. Any advice on how to determine if there is a problem? When I introduce plants, should that lower the pH? If it a problem to introduce plants into water that is so high?

A little help will go a long way. Thanks!

Roger L.
09-28-2013, 02:29 PM
All of the other readings will be needed to help I believe. What are the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels? How big of a tank, how many fish and what size and type? I think with that info one of the experienced people will have an answer for you.

nadav
09-28-2013, 03:07 PM
Good call, Roger. Ammonia seems to be near zero. Same with Nitrites. Nitrates appear to be between 40-80ppm. I can't tell the differences in the color on the chart. The water in the tank is in a space of about 14x9x7 inches. I am not sure how to calculate an accurate water volume. There are about 8 or 9 really small fish, all but one or two are about 3/4 of an inch or so, maybe smaller. I don't know what kind of fish they are, as the guy gave me his tank.

I hope that helps. As I said, a little help goes a long way. Thanks!

urbanfarmer
09-29-2013, 08:19 PM
Your pH is okay. Your system may already be cycling nitrogen efficiently given that reading. I would consider introducing the plants sooner than later.

nadav
09-30-2013, 07:17 AM
Awesome. I got the seeds today and plan on starting then later tonight. Thanks so much, guys!

Aloha Don
10-19-2013, 10:50 AM
What kind of system do you have?.....
Any updates for us?