PDA

View Full Version : Grow bed and the siphon tube.

Gerard Habib
09-26-2013, 05:08 AM
I have been offered these grew beds and wanted to know if they can work for an aquaponic system and can the drain pipe be set up to accomodate a siphon.

Grow bed details
Sheet Galvanised metal bent and welded to create a 2.5m long bed 0.5m wide with the shallowest part 0.2m deep and the deepest is about 0.3m deep, the base is angled like an A frame. the drain pipe is 2.2m long 3/4" galvanised pipe with the end in the trough sealed closed, there are 6mm holes drilled in the pipe ever 0.1m this pipe runs almost the entire length of this trough.

Wolfracer's System Build (http://www.diyaquaponics.com/forum/showthread.php?58-Wolfracer-s-System-Build/page5) I thing the photos in this thread is what I would need to do for the siphon but need to know if it will work

Please assist me with this information.

I intend to supply water to this grow bed and others from a 2500l (2.5m3) portable pond which I use for my Koi QT if it works I may consider building a more permanent facility but for now going to work with this set up.

Oliver
09-26-2013, 10:32 AM
I wouldn't. Galvanization involves zinc, which is toxic to fish.

Oliver

JCO
09-26-2013, 12:00 PM
Oliver hit it on the head...dead fish :mrgreen:

Gerard Habib
09-26-2013, 10:42 PM
I did think that the Galvanise might be a problem, what if I seal it with a rubber compound. I used a product locally on both my concrete pond as well as my gutters at my house. on the pond to buffer the PH issues of concrete and on the Gutters it at least stuck to the galvanised finish with out an issue.

After it has been coated would it still be an issue or shoulod I scrap this grow bed Idea

JCO
09-26-2013, 11:25 PM
I don't know that it would be worth the risk, but you would have to make sure that no area that had a chance of coming in contact with water would be left uncoated and there would always be the chance of a scratch from media that you would never see once the bed is in operation. :mrgreen:

Gerard Habib
09-26-2013, 11:46 PM
Damn well that sucks.

eddiemigue
09-27-2013, 12:09 AM
Don't know if the costs involved would make it worth it, but how about sealing it and then adding a pond liner?

Thoughts, sages of the AP world?

JCO
09-27-2013, 12:19 AM
eddie...that's a great Idea...why didn't I think of that...you can order a 20' X 100' ft roll of 20mil black plastic for about $200. and what you don't use for the beds, well you'd be surprised what else you will use it for. :mrgreen: