PDA

View Full Version : Blue Tilapia

badflash
02-15-2009, 02:02 PM
Blue tilapia are the most cold tolerant. They can survive in waters as cold as 45F, but they won't thrive. Blue tilapia can be found in Texas, Florida, and California in the wild. They can be found as far north as Orlando Florida and Austin Texas.

They form good hybrids with both Nile and Mossambica.

jackalope
04-29-2009, 03:19 PM
These tilapia are the ones I'm interested in. I've done quite a lot of research on the Blues and the other Tilapia because of Badflash's introductions to these easy to raise fish. They originally come from Israel, the Jordan Valley of Syria, and the Nile, Senegal, and Niger river systems of Africa. They are reputed to be the fastest growing (not counting hybridized tilapia), fastest breeding, best tasting, but rarest used for commercial growing of the four main types ..... Nile (T. Nilotica), Mozambique (T. Mossambicus), Hornorum (T. urolepis) and Blue (T. Aurea). The Redbelly (T Zilli) is also abundant in Texas and California, but doesn't seem to be used much for large or small-scale growing in aquaponics or aquaculture.

For those who are not entirely familiar with the Tilapia naming conventions, there are several names which fit the same exact fish, it's just who you talk to that uses the different taxonomic conventions ;) i.e. The Blue Tilapia --Scientific names used for Blue Tilapia; Oreochromis Aureus, Oreochromis Aurea, Tilapia Aureus, Tilapia Aurea, T Aureus, T Aurea, O Aureus, O Aurea

NOTE:
{Furthermore, tilapia became the subject of exhaustive taxonomic research, especially by ichthyologists like E. Trewavas of the United Kingdom and D.F.E. Thys van den Audenaerde of Belgium. This resulted in first a proposal by Trewavas (1973) to replace the name Tilapia with Sarotherodon, mainly for the mouth-brooding species, and a later proposal by Trewavas (1982) to separate the East African maternal mouthbrooders from Sarotherodon and to designate these as Oreochromis. We have chosen, however, to follow the rationale and practice of the American Fisheries Society for retaining Tilapia as the generic name for all species of tilapia (Robins et al. 1980, 1991), knowing full well that this will not meet with the approval of many systematists or aquar} University of California Report to the California Dept of Fisheries p.193

catfish
07-19-2010, 08:19 AM
Looking for someone that may raise these to sell.

stucco
07-19-2010, 09:44 AM
Where are you?

catfish
07-20-2010, 09:26 AM
Oklahoma

badflash
07-20-2010, 09:43 AM
If you are not hung up on blues, you can check these guys out:
http://www.tilapiasource.com/
They sell mixed sex nile whites bred for a little cold tolerance. Even blues only tolerate 45F.

Hotrodmike
08-14-2010, 12:03 PM
So how reputable is Tilapia source ? They do sell Blues on Ebay . I think blues are what would work best in this area and not worry too much about the low temps . Since Texas seems to be a bit anal on the blues (even though they are in the lakes and they put them there !) I figure I will need to get a license (more BS fees )
Have A Kind Day
Mike

badflash
08-14-2010, 03:54 PM
I have no experience with them. I don't need any more species as I already have Nile, Horonorum, Mossambicus and Rocky White. I belong to a few forums and their name comes up often when people are looking for Blues or Niles. If I were you I'd go with Mossies as Texas won't hassle you over them. Otherwise, catch some out of the local lakes, you should be able to net fry in the warm weather. As long as you are not commercial and have a recirculating system, they are just pets. I'm pretty sure aquarium fish are treated differently. You might want to explore that angle. I've seen it done in CA.

Hotrodmike
08-14-2010, 08:37 PM
I have no experience with them. I don't need any more species as I already have Nile, Horonorum, Mossambicus and Rocky White. I belong to a few forums and their name comes up often when people are looking for Blues or Niles. If I were you I'd go with Mossies as Texas won't hassle you over them. Otherwise, catch some out of the local lakes, you should be able to net fry in the warm weather. As long as you are not commercial and have a recirculating system, they are just pets. I'm pretty sure aquarium fish are treated differently. You might want to explore that angle. I've seen it done in CA.
Bad
First off with your avatar and your handle I can not for the life of me get away from BadFish ;)

According to most thats what I hear according to the Texas Dept of wildlife Exotic License the Mossie's are listed . To get them out of the lake you need a permit and must give your aquatic license # , ok that is only if you get caught :o

You are correct on most as I had planned on going to a semi commercial level and end up selling fish /fry /fingerlings on a local basis only . So to do this I would prefer to keep a good bloodline (no hybrid) for breeding . Don't get me wrong I do not want a fishery and do intend to stay fairly small but to sell to any of the resturante's I have connections at I will need to be legal .

To be honest after loosing my company and working for myself for about 1/2 my life . I find it hard to do a ,,well regular job :lol: So my intent was to do several small things and you know couple bucks here and couple bucks there will work out better than me trying to find a "Day Job " . I sure know I wont get rich but even the food we eat is income if the money dont go to the grocery store ,,,right !
Ok back to the fish from everything I have been told and read the Blue have a better growth per # of feed ,grow faster ,breed earlier ,love heat but are good to about 45-50 (that will limit any heating ) so either way filling my freezer or my piggie bank they seem to be the best bang for the buck . Or have I missed something :?:
Have A Kind Day
Mike

jackalope
08-15-2010, 11:02 AM
So to do this I would prefer to keep a good bloodline (no hybrid) for breeding .

Ok back to the fish from everything I have been told and read the Blue have a better growth per # of feed ,grow faster ,breed earlier ,love heat but are good to about 45-50 (that will limit any heating ) so either way filling my freezer or my piggie bank they seem to be the best bang for the buck . Or have I missed something :?:
Have A Kind Day
Mike

I agree with you on raising Pure Strain, they don't hybridize naturally in Africa because of the different locales that they come from, but it is said that if you hybridize them, some will get to larger sizes ..... personally, I'd prefer to have the pure strain.

I think the blues are the best bang for the buck as well ..... that's what I'll be putting in my 475 Gallon homebuilt, if I can ever get settled ..... I'm between wanting to move to Tennessee for better weather and trying to sell my place in a crappy economy :!: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hotrodmike
08-15-2010, 01:13 PM
That was kind of my thought . Not that my thoughts all turn out right :shock:
I know what you mean on the moving thing ,The economy has put my plans of moving to Ecuador further back as wife tossed another condition into the mix ,she wants to keep a place to live in the states .Sheesh she must think we have money some where :?
Have A Kind Day
Mike

badflash
08-15-2010, 02:52 PM
First generation hybrids of many species grow larger and faster than either parent in many cases. I keep the T. horonorum to breed with O. mossambica for just that reason. The cross fets to 2 pound in 9 months and males & females are just about the same size.

Aurea are often hybridized with Nile to produce another fast growing hybrid, but the males are much larger than the females.

urbanfarmer
10-14-2010, 08:25 PM
TAXONOMY:
http://www.uniprot.org/taxonomy/47969

stucco
03-20-2011, 03:48 PM
I’ve always heard a loud bump, bump, bump sound from the tanks outside and could never figure out what it is. I assumed that it was air bubbling through the SLO drains. Now that I have an aquarium for breeding in the house I have it figured out… the male makes a really loud drumming sound and swims around with his penis hanging out too get the ladies into his PVC pipe of love.

JCO
03-20-2011, 06:45 PM
I have always been told it smelled like fish, now I know why...OK, let's clean it up a bit guys... :? :mrgreen:

jackalope
03-21-2011, 12:08 PM
In livebearing fish that's called a Gonopod, or Gonopodium. I breed feeder Guppies, and have bred Platys, Mollies, Swords, etc. and it's always a Gonopodium!

urbanfarmer
05-03-2011, 06:20 AM
I have always been told it smelled like fish, now I know why...OK, let's clean it up a bit guys... :? :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol: