PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum feed

Menehune
09-09-2013, 03:29 PM
Could this vacuum idea work?

The jar could be any sealed rigid container, that leaks (red arrow) causing a vacuum, which would be replaced by the feed (green arrow).

dead_sled
09-09-2013, 06:25 PM
Maybe if you set it up like this.... :ugeek:
http://teleomorph.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/mc-escher2.jpg

Otherwise, I would say not likely. How would the jar create vacuum if it is being filled at a rate fast enough to continue the pumping process?

Really though, there is only one way to truly prove it....... and we want to see pictures and/or a video. 8-)

JCO
09-09-2013, 09:12 PM
I love your optical illusion graphic...beautiful...if we could only get water to flow up hill continuously, what a feat. :mrgreen:

Apollo
09-09-2013, 09:29 PM
Gravity will have the same pull on equal mass, the red arrow (down water) will have the same gravitational pull as the green arrow (up water). Your vacuum can will become vapor locked, no water movement.

Looks Great at first glance...keep thinking outside the box.

Apollo

I HAVE NOT FAILED. I'VE JUST FOUND 10,000 WAYS THAT WON'T WORK. Thomas A Edison

JCO
09-09-2013, 11:00 PM
Also Menehune, I forgot...welcome to the forum. :mrgreen:

rocketboy
09-10-2013, 05:55 AM
The vacuum jar will only work if the outlet of the red arrow is lower than the inlet of the green arrow. Then it would just be more efficient to have just the hose without the air chamber. The way it is set up in that picture it will not work.

Roger L.
09-10-2013, 10:58 AM
Welcome Menehune. The vacuum needed for the up flow would exceed that created by the down flow unless the down flow hose is bigger than the up hose. Then if that is true then you will run into a supply flow issue. You just can't fool Mother Nature.

Aloha Don
09-10-2013, 11:10 AM
Welcome Menehune
Please update your profile and let us know where you are?
Also, all that has been stated is just other opinions...do not be afraid to try it and let us know if you can get it to work
Welcome to the addiction!

Menehune
09-10-2013, 12:17 PM
:shock: kind of funny watching my mind go on vacation, hope it returns soon!

JCO
09-10-2013, 01:19 PM
I personally hope it enjoys itself while it's gone...before coming back to the drudgery of real life. Until then, take 2 aspirins and get plenty of bed rest. :mrgreen:

winger4647
09-13-2013, 11:29 AM
Could this vacuum idea work?

The jar could be any sealed rigid container, that leaks (red arrow) causing a vacuum, which would be replaced by the feed (green arrow).

Newbie here! Thought I would comment on this. As illustrated I can't see how it will work unless an additional supply of vacuum is supplied.

The water height in the closed container is less than the height of the water in the green tube. The container water height would have to produce enough negative pressure (vacuum) in the vessel when the vessel empties to overcome the static pressure in the green tube which it can't in this case. These pressures are directly related to height, temperature and densities of the liquid and not volume. By increasing the height of the closed container you also increase the height of the static pressure which has to be overcome. I can't think of a way other than additional vacuum that would do this but nice thought! :ugeek: