PDA

View Full Version : Middle Tennessee reporting in

rocketboy
09-04-2013, 06:35 AM
I am an engineer from middle Tennessee. I have been reading your forum for a while and thought I would join and say hello. I hope to buy a house by the end of the year and one of the requirements will be enough space to set up a system. When I get to that point I will start posting info on it. Over and out.

Roger L.
09-04-2013, 07:00 AM
Welcome and good luck when you build. Use this time to study and plan so you will be ready for when the time comes.

eddiemigue
09-04-2013, 11:28 AM
Welcome! Good luck with the house and look forward to reading updates.

Aloha Don
09-04-2013, 01:08 PM
Welcome to the addiction and fun
Looking forward to following your progress and seeing your ideas become reality.
Keep us informed

rocketboy
09-05-2013, 11:30 AM
We need a thread on the different types of greenhouses. I see several types listed however I haven’t found any explanations of them.

Aloha Don
09-05-2013, 05:19 PM
Start a thread and ask a question and see how what happens...

rocketboy
09-09-2013, 07:03 AM
I just made an offer on a house that already has a greenhouse that is empty and a Koi pond that has some fish in it. It will probably take some back and forth on the negotiations before we come to an agreement though.

Roger L.
09-09-2013, 07:10 AM
Congratulations. Sounds like you will begin your addiction sooner than later.

rocketboy
09-09-2013, 07:18 AM
Too bad the pond is too far from the greenhouse to tie it directly into the system. But I will have some fish to start cycling the system and I can use some of the water to start the system too.

JCO
09-09-2013, 10:37 AM
Welcome to the forum...one thing to remember...we love photos and progress reports on how you did whatever :mrgreen:

Aloha Don
09-09-2013, 11:31 AM
Congrats!
Hope it works out for you.
Any way to move the greenhouse closer to the pond?

rocketboy
09-09-2013, 12:56 PM
It would be far easier to move the pond but it wouldn’t hurt to just leave it and just put in a FT. The greenhouse is a permanent structure. When we have an offer agreement I will go and start taking pictures and measurements. It will give me something to occupy myself while I wait for the loan to go through. Patience is not my strong suit; I know it will be hard to wait for things when I start my AP system.

rocketboy
09-13-2013, 09:18 AM
After a little back and forth the offer was accepted for the house. Now for the loan paperwork to start. I will get in there as soon as I can and take som photos. The famaly is deying for them too. It may still be a couple months untill the loan is final.

JCO
09-13-2013, 11:07 AM
Congratulations on getting your dream home... :mrgreen:

eddiemigue
09-14-2013, 05:28 AM
Gratz on the home, and continued success!

rocketboy
09-30-2013, 12:23 PM
Just giving an update on the house. I just did the home inspection on Friday and we are negotiating the work that will need to be done before I could reasonably expect to pass the appraisal for the loan. The problem with the house is the house, the rest of the property is great but the house needs some TLC that it wasn’t getting from the previous owner. If they didn’t drop the price by $20k just before I looked at it I wouldn’t even consider buying it. And if I wasn’t a DIYer I would never consider it.

rocketboy
10-22-2013, 08:38 AM
Finally getting the loan Appraiser in to look at the house early next week. If it passes we will start the closing process. I need to get out there with a decent camera and start taking photos. I was thinking of putting a pump into the koi pond and having a few landscaped GBs that I can use during the summer.

rocketboy
11-07-2013, 06:47 AM
The house passed the appraisal!!! I should be closing a week from tomorrow.

[attachment=1:1xanihmo]Greenhouse.png[/attachment:1xanihmo]
[attachment=0:1xanihmo]pond.png[/attachment:1xanihmo]

Roger L.
11-07-2013, 06:57 AM
Very cool. Congratulations on the house.

JCO
11-08-2013, 07:38 AM
I recgonize the carport but in the other photo...which is the house :?: :shock: :o :lol: :mrgreen:

Roger L.
11-08-2013, 08:13 AM
That's easy JCO. He hasn't rolled it onto the property yet, if he's anything like us Kentuckians. Sorry rocket boy, us hillbillies gotta keep our sense of humor. :lol:

rocketboy
11-08-2013, 08:42 AM
Here is a pic of the house.
[attachment=0:3h1h77xd]House.png[/attachment:3h1h77xd]

Roger L.
11-08-2013, 02:07 PM
Very nice house rocket boy. When is the first big christening party? I know were all invited. :D

rocketboy
11-18-2013, 06:55 AM
The house is now mine. After talking with the previous owner, I found out that the fish in the pond are all goldfish. I put some enzyme tablets in the water that I got from Lowes to help clear up the water and I put in a small fountain pump to add some DO so the bacteria can do its job. I will have to take some pictures when I get the chance. Also I am working on getting a small 20 gal indoor system going. However, I will have to wait until I can take the fountain pump out of the pond.

Roger L.
11-18-2013, 07:43 AM
Fantastic! Congratulations on the house and land. Now it's time to turn plans into reality. Enjoy the new digs.

Aloha Don
11-18-2013, 11:23 AM
Congrats...get moved in but dont put your feet up until the system is running and you post some pics :D

rocketboy
09-15-2015, 12:09 PM
After being sidetracked for a couple years with other things and slowly building up materials to build a system, a sale on aquariums finally spurred me to start building my experimental AP system on my sun porch. I will start a new thread this weekend with the details but here are some photos for all of you addicts.
http://www.diyaquaponics.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4883&stc=1
Fish Tank
http://www.diyaquaponics.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4884&stc=1
Experimental Mineralizing Tower
http://www.diyaquaponics.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4885&stc=1
Swirl and Bio Filter
http://www.diyaquaponics.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4886&stc=1
Ebb and Flow Grow Bed

Next spring I am also planning to add some grow beds around my pond for a seasonal system.