PDA

View Full Version : Wild caught catfish? Yes or no?

CaranthirHelyanwe
09-01-2013, 08:32 PM
I am studying this stuff all over the web. Haven't even planned a setup yet. My wife thinks I'm crazy and doesn't want me using my existing aquarium as a starter FT. My original thought was to attempt with what I already had, including access to channel cats wild caught (and abundant in south Louisiana) or firtilized eggs. Worried about other species laws for non natives. Hadn't researched that yet. If we are trying to copy Father God, would wild caughts work?

JCO
09-01-2013, 08:41 PM
The problem you will run into with Wild caught Catfish is you more than likely will not get them to accept pelleted food but it would be worth a try. If after a few days they are not eating, eat them :shock: :lol: :lol:

Fertilized eggs would do best if you can hatch them and get the up to eating flake food. Don't forget, they will need lots of space as they are cannibalistic when young and will eat their siblings.

Keep us posted on what you decide and don't forget, photos...lots of photos. :mrgreen:

bsfman
09-02-2013, 02:16 PM
I tried wild-caught catfish, but they refused to eat. Had to let 'em go. :(

Roger L.
09-02-2013, 02:20 PM
Let them go, or let them go to the frying pan?

Waterboy
09-02-2013, 10:12 PM
Wild South Louisiana caught Perch will eat the pellets just fine though.

Marrus
09-07-2013, 09:45 AM
I'm using wild caught tilapia in my rig. I can confirm that it takes them a while. But when they figure it out, they will jump for the food pellets.

bsfman
09-07-2013, 09:54 AM
I'm using wild caught tilapia in my rig. I can confirm that it takes them a while. But when they figure it out, they will jump for the food pellets.

That's for sure! And additional wild caught tilapia you add learn almost immediately from observing their tank mates feeding frenzy! :o

JCO
09-07-2013, 10:38 AM
Marrus, welcome to the forum. Glad you decided to join in the fray with your knowledge. Please go to your profile and put in where do you live, there may be other members close by you could collaborate with. :mrgreen:

misterguppy
09-18-2013, 08:48 AM
I have some wild trapped/caught bluegill and the younger they are the better they do. I trapped about 20 fish that were all under 3 inches in length and they are doing fine in a 300+/- gallon IBC tote mixed with about a dozen comet goldfish. The smaller fish all learned from the goldfish to eat the pellets. I caught 5 larger bluegill (8-10 in.) just for an experiment and they have learned to eat the goldfish! I will be taking them out and returning them to a pond as I have 50 3-4 in channel cats arriving friday. I run two large IBC totes as tanks, one or Tilapia (seasonally) and the other for bluegill and channel cats for year round use.