PDA

View Full Version : Bell Siphon or a plumbing return pipe problem???

Apollo
08-26-2013, 07:21 AM
To anyone that has a working Bell Siphon, I would like to find out the diameter size of your stand pipe & return pipe back to your fish tank. The amount of slope, length of return pipe, did you use a pee trap just below the Bell Siphon or not. Is it a straight shot to the tank or did you use any elbows?

I really believe that the problem I'm having has more to do with my return, not the Bell Siphon itself.

Thanks for any information you might send my way. Rod

Aloha Don
08-26-2013, 11:12 AM
The size of the siphon will depend on your system...for a big system that needs to drain lots of water you will need a bigger siphon..
I have a small system using a bell siphon in my 20 gallon GB I am using a 1/2" standpipe and return pipe to my FT...The bell is 1"
It did take some tweeking to get it to flood and drain the way I wanted and the siphon does require monitoring and adjusting in the system...If I had to do again I think I would go with a constant flow and use a standpipe to adjust the hight of water I wanted to maintain in my GB...I think that would be less time consuming
Just my opinion

Apollo
08-26-2013, 11:32 AM
Thanks for your reply, where can I get more information on a constant flow and use a standpipe to adjust the height of water I wanted to maintain in my GB?

If you check out my other post "Bell Siphon works but doesn't fire", you will see the sizes of both Bell Siphon's I tried. Along with how my drain system is set up...I just drained out 1200 gals of old rain water & I'm replacing it with new rain water. I hope to solve my problem & get it running before it all turns green again.

Aloha Don
08-26-2013, 12:34 PM
did you have time to check out
Need Help With Siphon Level (http://www.diyaquaponics.com/forum/showthread.php?1864-Need-Help-With-Siphon-Level)

eddiemigue
08-26-2013, 12:41 PM
I agree with Don. My experience with bell siphons is that you have to periodically tweek/adjust them. I now have constant flow and there is really no maintenance. Just replace the bell siphon standpipe with a smaller pipe set to the height that you want to keep the water in the GB. This offers the advantage that you can raise your water level when starting seedlings if your GB is very deep, and then drop it as the roots start to grow. Otherwise, if you have good wicking media and not too deep a bed, the capillary action will usually get moisture up to where you need it.

Don,

If you have thoughts of preferring a continual flow setup, you can readily convert...

Roger L.
08-26-2013, 12:45 PM
I stuck to the 2:1 ratio for my siphon. My bell is 3" and the standpipe is 1 1/2. My drain pipe is also 1 1/2. The drain goes down, makes a 90 and then goes through a 15" spray bar, makes another 90 and then another 90. In the second 90 I angled it up slightly to help the siphon start. It took some playing around with the angle on that second 90 and the amount of water going into the grow bed to get it to start properly and to end properly.

Aloha Don
08-26-2013, 04:16 PM
Thanks eddie - I think next time I have to "tinker" or adjust that thing will be the last...
I can just put a 1-2" standpipe and let-R-Go...

Apollo
10-28-2013, 10:47 PM
Guess I should have added this a long time ago. Never did get any Bell Siphons working right, never figured out if it was my return drain back to the FT or maybe a combination of both.

I started another topic heading, "Pipe Siphon by Apollo" To all that want to veiw my set up or follow my story line, I hope you'll join me there :arrow: .

Thanks to all that help me get a handle on things :idea: .

I HAVE NOT FAILED. I'VE JUST FOUND 10,000 WAYS THAT WON'T WORK. Thomas A Edison